No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Just bumped into my mate Carro at work, had a quick chat.
We both share the same love for Sammy and Will Day.
Really high praise for Sammy, adamant he will be a premiership coach at some point.
On the racism saga, also on the hawthorn side a bit. Briefly spoke about her interview with Cyril and his partner, recons we just don’t have the right people in place at the time, no malice towards the club directly. Thinks hawthorn payout looks likely.

Collingwood board losing their marbles at Ginnivan's comments.

I thought it was pretty tame. Just saying that Collingwood play a more structured game and at Hawthorn he has been given more freedom.

Tom Mitchell was 10x worse.

I thought it was pretty tame. Just saying that Collingwood play a more structured game and at Hawthorn he has been given more freedom.

Rent free

More upset because if they had of kept him he would be killing it. The coaches completely shut him out

From the outside it looked like a few players shit him out also

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s funny what perception can do, cocky kid comes in and stars and has a few moments he might take back but all part of growing up, what is lost is they got rid of a 30 goal a year forward (on average) with an insane footy iq that still has 10 years to play. All he wanted was a basic amount of love/respect and he probably would have stayed. Fortunate how it all works out for us and Ginny at the end of the day

What's that have to do with Collingwood people? He's not their player anymore.

I have heard rumours that the AFL is right now trying to change Hawthorn's residency so we lose some MCG home games.

Other docklands clubs (like St Kilda, WB, Dons), want more contracted games with MCG and Hawthorn is looking at losing some rights, including more Marvel Games and fewer MCG games.

If this does happen then the Gowers presidency is a total failure (and I am a huge fan of his).

I personally would be happy to see Hawthorn stand out of football completely rather than lose more MCG home. We were promised the MCG when we lost Waverly. If it happens, if the club lets it happen, we can say goodbye to keeping pace with other big clubs like the Pies, Carlton, Richmond, even Essendon (in terms of growing members).

This is an issue for right now. It's happening right now.

Let's face it. The MCG is a huge advantage... one of the few we have.

I have heard rumours that the AFL is right now trying to change Hawthorn's residency so we lose some MCG home games.

Other docklands clubs (like St Kilda, WB, Dons), want more contracted games with MCG and Hawthorn is looking at losing some rights, including more Marvel Games and fewer MCG games.

If this does happen then the Gowers presidency is a total failure (and I am a huge fan of his).

I personally would be happy to see Hawthorn stand out of football completely rather than lose more MCG home. We were promised the MCG when we lost Waverly. If it happens, if the club lets it happen, we can say goodbye to keeping pace with other big clubs like the Pies, Carlton, Richmond, even Essendon (in terms of growing members).

This is an issue for right now. It's for down the track.
How does playing games at Marvel stop us from “keeping pace” with other clubs?

The team will continue to improve, the KCC will be built, the membership will still be large…we’ll still be an asset rich club, and when we are winning more games than we lose they’ll switch our games to the G…

I personally would be happy to see Hawthorn stand out of football completely rather than lose more MCG home.
sexy the walking dead GIF

The team will continue to improve, the KCC will be built, the membership will still be large…we’ll still be an asset rich club, and when we are winning more games than we lose they’ll switch our games to the G…
Financially would be awful for us, Brian Cook was on radio on weekend saying despite Blues filling it out every week and despite AFL owning it, they don’t make nearly as much $ as they do with games at the G.

There are a million reasons to fight for the G, not least the fact that only one Marvel tenant has won a flag in 24 years.

The ‘standing out of football’ line is ridiculous, but I agree we should be throwing everything at getting more MCG games. When the Tassie deal finishes up, we should absolutely be hitting our straps on the field and would be a perfect time to be playing 8+ home games there a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MCG is the MCG
The MCG!!!!!
It is more in the spirit than it is in the logic.

But here is some of the logic.

Trading: Players don't like Marvel. Players dream of playing at the MCG. We already have to convince trade targets to come to us and then get on a plane to Tassie 4 times a year, as well as interstate trips. At least we can sell them the MCG.

Crowds: I won't be going to Marvel. I have been there about 20 times in 20 years. Hate it. Big games - can't get a good seat. I am not alone.

Sponsors: Your attendance numbers will be much smaller on average when you lose....

.....there is SO MUCH MORE to say but I can't be bothered typing it. It's kinda obvious.

I have written to the club today asking them to tell members what's happening. And let them know exactly where I stand. I hope other do the same on an issue this important.

Would it be that we lose existing MCG games or just that we don't gain another 4 per year when we lose Tassie? If our low rating games against the Giants, Freo etc end up at Marvel after Tassie goes, so be it. Would be unreasonable if our current allotment of MCG games went down though.

I also don't go to games at Marvel but that's a current lifestyle issue more than anything. With family and work I don't get to many games period, so only go to MCG for ease and enjoyment.

Last edited:
Would it be that we lose existing MCG games or just that we don't gain another 4 per year when we lose Tassie? If our low rating games against the Giants, Freo etc end up at Marvel after Tassie goes, so be it. Would be unreasonable if our current allotment of MCG games went down though.

I also don't go to games at Marvel but that's a current lifestyle issue more than anything. With family and work I don't get to many games period, so only go to MCG for ease and enjoyment.
Surely we're looking elsewhere interstate to sell games!

Surely we're looking elsewhere interstate to sell games!

I’d still be for us getting a similar deal to the Bulldogs with Ballarat as they get a decent amount to play there - say us getting 2-3 games in a regional centre. Something tells me the Victorian government won’t be throwing around the money though.

If our home game allotment was 8 MCG, 1 Marvel and 2 regional I could live with that.

The MCG is the MCG
The MCG!!!!!
It is more in the spirit than it is in the logic.

But here is some of the logic.

Trading: Players don't like Marvel. Players dream of playing at the MCG. We already have to convince trade targets to come to us and then get on a plane to Tassie 4 times a year, as well as interstate trips. At least we can sell them the MCG.

Crowds: I won't be going to Marvel. I have been there about 20 times in 20 years. Hate it. Big games - can't get a good seat. I am not alone.

Sponsors: Your attendance numbers will be much smaller on average when you lose....

.....there is SO MUCH MORE to say but I can't be bothered typing it. It's kinda obvious.

I have written to the club today asking them to tell members what's happening. And let them know exactly where I stand. I hope other do the same on an issue this important.
Are you genuinely hearing this or just the vibe?

My gut feel is that when the Devils come in we still get 4 games at UTAS, the government is not spending 75 mil on upgrading UTAS just for 4 Devil games a year.

Makes more sense to spend that sort of money on having 8 games per season, 4 Devils & 4 Hawks games

It’s interesting to see where that all lands. StKilda are pushing for 3 home games against big vic clubs like Collingwood and a few others. Doing this taking games away from us is only going to rob interstate teams of the chance to play at the MCG more often. Crows v Hawks probably doesn’t happen.

Reality is, we are 5th in line of the big Victorian clubs. Pies, Blues, Tigers, Bombers. We sit just outside of that group. It’ll make me sick if they take those games away and I have to watch the dogs v stkilda on a Friday night in front of 32,000 though.

Besides the vic clubs I do wonder if there is a need to play those lower drawing games at the MCG, as much as I love it

If the Marvel tenants want home games at the MCG against bigger clubs, fine. They can play us there. I’ll happily cop away games at the G any day.

Yeah that’s how I see it, as long as our balance is still good. IDC for playing the dockers at the G.

Get your kids tickets on lvl 1 or 2 and happy days

Attachments

• the-sky-is-falling-chicken-little.gif
    the-sky-is-falling-chicken-little.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back