No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care for the rivalry tbh, I want to see AFL origin more for the prospect of seeing the type of play that only a team full of stars can do.
I think the format lends itself perfectly to trialling rule changes again. Even if just for entertainment's sake.

Could try out zones. Removing the hitting the post rule. Last touch out of bounds. Super goals.

I think the format lends itself perfectly to trialling rule changes again. Even if just for entertainment's sake.

Could try out zones. Removing the hitting the post rule. Last touch out of bounds. Super goals.
How about we change almost all of the rules, reduce the team sizes a bunch and play it on an undersized rectangular pitch. We can call it... AFLX.

I see Origin last night at the MCG has the AFL discussing it again. Wish they’d just leave it be - the one disadvantage Aussie Rules has with being far more national than the NRL is that origin doesn’t work as well. QLD and NSW is a true, built up rivalry - it works because it’s two sides that despise each other. WA and SA love to beat Victoria but Victorians don’t seem to have the same return animosity. Then you add in The Allies which isn’t a state but basically a sundries column with a crap jumper. The crowd interest in origin died off because the rivalry wasn’t there. Just let it be.
do the players and coaches really want it? if not, they shouldn't even bother entertaining a discussion about it

The entry of West Coast and Brisbane into the competition and the change from VFL to AFL pretty much ended the concept of Sate of Origin footy. And once Adelaide came into the comp it was done. Now we have two teams from SA and two from WA as well as two from Queensland and NSW there's really no need for it.

The only hope for a State of Origin would be at the U18 level - Pre Draft its about the highest honour you can get playing for Vic Metro/Country SA or WA so turn that into a spectacle and let us have an early look at the stars of tomorrow - those games mean something and they are going 100% to show their wares whereas a Senior state of origin would be half arsed as the players would just be avoiding injury

(as a haw I have never forgotten how gut wrenching it was to lose Tony Hall with a knee injury from a State of Origin game)

Jeezus, if they are the rule changes to be trialled then State of Origin can stay dead forever

Jeezus, if they are the rule changes to be trialled then State of Origin can stay dead forever
Idk I feel like the hitting the post rule change is long overdue and for the good of the game. A lot of people would be upset initially but it's a completely fair change and would be a big decrease in the number of goal reviews a week.

As I said, the rule changes can just be for entertainment’s sake. They don’t have to be intended to be used in season.

Origin just puts the best players against each other. There’d be no time to come up with elaborate system based game plans. It would end up being a lot of 1 on 1 contests. So things like zones and last touch out of bounds help keep things open and in play. And super goals and no hitting the post could encourage some spectacular goals.

You’d always have the option to not watch it if it’s not for you.

Idk I feel like the hitting the post rule change is long overdue and for the good of the game. A lot of people would be upset initially but it's a completely fair change and would be a big decrease in the number of goal reviews a week.

I like the rule. The space between the goal posts is big enough - if you aren't getting it through you don't get the 6 points. It's fairly unique to our game and I am happy to retain it.

I see Origin last night at the MCG has the AFL discussing it again. Wish they’d just leave it be - the one disadvantage Aussie Rules has with being far more national than the NRL is that origin doesn’t work as well. QLD and NSW is a true, built up rivalry - it works because it’s two sides that despise each other. WA and SA love to beat Victoria but Victorians don’t seem to have the same return animosity. Then you add in The Allies which isn’t a state but basically a sundries column with a crap jumper. The crowd interest in origin died off because the rivalry wasn’t there. Just let it be.
Then just have Group of 4.

Vic
WA
SA
Rest

6 games in total, 2 per week over 3 weeks, same as Best of 3 games over 3 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then just have Group of 4.

Vic
WA
SA
Rest

6 games in total, 2 per week over 3 weeks, same as Best of 3 games over 3 weeks.

This is exactly the concept I was saying doesn't work like the rugby league equivalent. Do you really think a player is going to get fired up playing for a team which is basically 'hey you're not from one of 3 states so we lumped you all in this one'. Wow - the passion!

Queensland hates NSW - NSW in turn hates them. The rivalry stems from the days where interstate matches were based on residency as opposed to birth (granted Qld more than anyone takes the piss with the 'origin' concept these days) so Queensland players who were playing for more money with Sydney based teams then had to play for NSW and NSW would often trounce Qld as the majority of the best players were playing in the NSWRL pre the league expanding to Qld in 1988. As a result Queensland still have a monumental chip on their shoulder and nothing makes them happier than winning Origin.

Do you really think there is going to be a fierce, historic rivalry between WA and 'the rest'? No - it will be a pointless contest that will just disrupt the league, add additional chance for injuries and suspensions and serve zero purpose and end up with meaningless matches that players won't really care about and thus neither will the supporters.

Name 2 AA squads. Play the best v the second best with the motivation being that the second best side will wide to show they really are the best.

Or...and hear me out here...don't play a meaningless exhibition game that could see players suffer a season ending injury. This desperate notion that the AFL has to have something just because rugby league has a mid-week game 3 times a year is baffling. If we are so keen to have something in it's place - play the national U18 national championship games on a Wednesday night and broadcast them on 7 or Fox Footy. I would much rather tune into that during prime time than some all-stars game that the players won't care about.

Name 2 AA squads. Play the best v the second best with the motivation being that the second best side will wide to show they really are the best.
Even better. Name 46 players who are AA worthy. Randomly pick two of those to be captains. They toss a coin. The winner has first pick of a player from the remaining pool, then the other guy gets a go and so on. Just like we did in primary school.

The AFL could televise it, just like they do with the draft: you could even have it over 2 nights.

I'd love to see SOO done seriously with the teams competing hard, simply because I think it could produce good games. Though the Vic side would clearly be the strongest.

But I also think it's a terrible idea because of the obvious risk of injury to players, and I'm sure the AFLPA, the players themselves and the clubs would all be against it. Which is fair enough.

I'd love to see SOO done seriously with the teams competing hard, simply because I think it could produce good games. Though the Vic side would clearly be the strongest.

But I also think it's a terrible idea because of the obvious risk of injury to players, and I'm sure the AFLPA, the players themselves and the clubs would all be against it. Which is fair enough.
I went to the SOO at the G on Wednesday. 90000 sounded more like a 25000 AFL crowd.
Their game, as exciting as the build up was is a mere speck when compared to the spectacle of AFL.

Im sure game 3 in QLD will be a bit more spicy but we shouldn't worry what the rugby are up to as we already have the greatest game in the world by some margin.

Even better. Name 46 players who are AA worthy. Randomly pick two of those to be captains. They toss a coin. The winner has first pick of a player from the remaining pool, then the other guy gets a go and so on. Just like we did in primary school.

The AFL could televise it, just like they do with the draft: you could even have it over 2 nights.

Yay then we can have “skins” vs “shirts” just like school!

I'd love to see it, but on a much more limited basis...

Believe it or not, I've actually thought about how you could do it (Don't ask me why, apart from the fact that I'm a dork)

Get rid of the allies...WA, SA and Vic only

One year, you have a round robin of three games, each team playing each.

The team that finishes top goes straight into next years final, which is a bye round for the league, like round 17 or so.

The two other teams play a pre-season state of origin the next year, for the right to play the aforementioned team in 'the final'...Winner is State of Origin champion.

From then on, you only have 2 games a year; the two other states play pre-season, the winner of that plays the reigning champions about Rnd 17.

I know perfectly well it won't fly; injuries, etc...teams might not like it, players playing finals coming up might pull out etc etc...and we've gone so long without it, there will obviously be resistance to bringing a 'new' thing in

But I'm old enough to remember it...and it was ****ing great...and I was just as parochial as any WA or SA fan would have been. I don't believe that Victorians don't care as much as the 'little' states

Instead of state of origin, I could get behind a concept similar to the All-star games in the US

Two teams, selected and 'coached' by two legends of the game; the 'draft' could be televised too
Game can be as bruise free as you like with huge scores since the players are simply out there to have some fun and put on a show. Rotate the game each year in a different city, all proceeds made from the game go to a charity

Instead of state of origin, I could get behind a concept similar to the All-star games in the US

Two teams, selected and 'coached' by two legends of the game; the 'draft' could be televised too
Game can be as bruise free as you like with huge scores since the players are simply out there to have some fun and put on a show. Rotate the game each year in a different city, all proceeds made from the game go to a charity
I like the idea of the best vs the best.

Extended benches, unlimited rotations. Knock out any possibility of not accidental injuries.

The 2008 HOF Tribute match had some outstanding footy in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back