Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schache could have been had for 24 if we weren't stuffing around with Foldcoast.

Somebody bookmark this
Bulldogs offload one troubled forward for another troubled forward

GCS sacrificed pick 2 in this years draft for a player they know (he came from their academy), but are looking at next year when they'll have two picks in the top ten in a strong draft. So the Weller deal isn't so bad if you look at it from a big picture perspective. They had 4 top ten picks last year too.

So we lose Lang and Motlop and downgrade a bunch of our picks and get Ablett, we've had a couple of great trade periods recently but that has to be one of our worst. And after all the noise about how disappointed the club was with the finals performance we proceed to get rid of 2 of our best players in those finals.

Neither were contracted so we had no say in Motlop going and minimal leverage in Lang. The only relevant pick we downgraded (by only 5 spots)was a pick we never expected to get regardless. Cats are all in to win it in the next two or three years in my opinion, and that's a good thing. Getting Ablett in and losing Motlop (ordinary for 70% of the last two seasons) and Lang (played 40 games in 4 years) is definitely making us better. Factor in getting a few of our small forwards fit, and a younger backline (movement was awesome vs Sydney when Lonergan was out) and its looking good to me.

As well as picks 22,24 and 35 in the draft gives us a great chance to get in a few young blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 45 minutes ago corner of Moorabool and Malop Streets, Geelong

DMd-Oo2V4AAi_1X.jpg

I think overall value wise we did quiet well.

We traded picks in that totalled about 1502 points and traded out picks totalling about 768 points. That means that we received extra draft points totalling 786 points or the equivalent of pick 26.

Hence, I think from a points perspective we traded Lang + Motlop for Ablett + 26. I know its not that simple but if my math is correct (a big if) we actually did very well especially considering we will likely need picks next year.

I do question the strategy of not going after more pace and another biggish forward but I'm sure the club probably looked around and couldn't find anything. If they didn't, I have no idea what is going on. I do note that the other teams by their trading patterns seem to value picks in the 20s so maybe there is more value there this year.

Every year it seems we have to go through this exercise because people don’t understand the value in pick upgrades/downgrades. Tiresome.
It is a complicated system and clubs need to take into account other things that we don't know about. Sometimes they get it right and sometime wrong but on balance we have got the best outcome we could get.

Thoughts on Ablett deal:

To be fair, getting Pick 19 for Motlop was more than we expected. So instead of getting 35 (which is what most of us expected for Motlop), and trading our Pick 22 for Ablett, we have ended up keeping Pick 22 + getting Pick 24 as well.

So I'm okay with us trading Pick 19 considering how we got it, plus we get Pick 24 back. What I'm disappointed about was that we shouldn't have traded our 2018 2nd Round Pick too.
The value of pick 19 doesnt change depending on how we got it. Its irrational to consider sunk costs (or sunk gains).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back