Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Personally I saw some early "success" with a couple of very close prelim losses to Collingwood in 1980-81, but after that the 80s really sucked as a Cats fan.

I was 16 in 1989, listening to the final quarter comeback on my walkman in a church during a family wedding, because the reception venue the bride wanted was available that day only (gee, wonder why??). The next few years were awesome but not quite awesome enough.

Then I was sitting second tier between the wing and the flank in 2007. I remember being directly behind Moons when he slotted the first goal of the 2nd half from 50 on the boundary and thinking, "this is finally it!!".

My kids, on the other hand, were born in 2004 and 2006 and of course were indoctrinated very early. They don't remember 2007, but my eldest remembers 2009 and they both remember 2011 and of course 2022. It has been such good going for them that a prelim is the bare minimum expectation, because they've known little else. Talk about a privileged time to support the greatest sporting club on earth.
Exactly! My brother and I and our daughters went to the 2007 gf together. The girls were 15. That was their first grand final. And it’s just rolled on from then. My brother and I had been through all those hard years. I’m really happy for the younger ones- such untold success.

Personally I saw some early "success" with a couple of very close prelim losses to Collingwood in 1980-81, but after that the 80s really sucked as a Cats fan.

I was 16 in 1989, listening to the final quarter comeback on my walkman in a church during a family wedding, because the reception venue the bride wanted was available that day only (gee, wonder why??). The next few years were awesome but not quite awesome enough.

Then I was sitting second tier between the wing and the flank in 2007. I remember being directly behind Moons when he slotted the first goal of the 2nd half from 50 on the boundary and thinking, "this is finally it!!".

My kids, on the other hand, were born in 2004 and 2006 and of course were indoctrinated very early. They don't remember 2007, but my eldest remembers 2009 and they both remember 2011 and of course 2022. It has been such good going for them that a prelim is the bare minimum expectation, because they've known little else. Talk about a privileged time to support the greatest sporting club on earth.

Sounds like a lot of stuff thats relatable. For example …radios in church :)…I wonder if these days the phones would be streaming the games...

I imagine most of them are like us- they want the team to be the best it can be. And if Oliver is part of that equation that could make our midfield good again- who wouldn’t embrace that? They are all paid pretty darn well anyway. They are professionals and presumably understand that footy is also a business.
Even so, I really hope that if they do bring him in, they can find a way to make his contract consistent with the overall player contract framework the club has.

It's a bad idea to make "exceptions", especially for outsiders. If you're a gun who has been loyal and taken less than you could've gotten elsewhere, then you see a guy like Oliver come in on much bigger money than anyone else, I don't care how loyal and bought in you are - it would be very hard not to feel just a little betrayed.

Obviously I'm not Andrew Mackie, but if I was I'd be saying to Clayton something like:

"We're extremely confident that if you're looking to get back to your best footy and have a shot at contending every year, we are the best club in the comp for that, bar none. If a great environment, great culture, team success and personal performance are your priorities, coming over to us is a no-brainer."

"But we're not paying you stupid money. We have a system for player salaries and while you'll be very well paid at the top of the list, at our club you'll be within the framework. Which means we're prepared to pay you X. We'll do our best in the negotiations to get Melbourne to pay as much on top of that as we can, but whether that ends up being a lot, or zero, from our end we're still paying you X. That's how we roll, no exceptions. If it's not enough, thanks for your time, and best of luck with the Dees next year."

Sounds like a lot of stuff thats relatable. For example …radios in church :)…I wonder if these days the phones would be streaming the games...
Oh it would be phones these days for sure.

Of course, if a member of my family was stupid enough to schedule their wedding at 4pm on GF day, with the Cats playing in their first GF in 22 years, I wouldn't need to stream it on my phone... because I wouldn't be at the wedding.

Even so, I really hope that if they do bring him in, they can find a way to make his contract consistent with the overall player contract framework the club has.

It's a bad idea to make "exceptions", especially for outsiders. If you're a gun who has been loyal and taken less than you could've gotten elsewhere, then you see a guy like Oliver come in on much bigger money than anyone else, I don't care how loyal and bought in you are - it would be very hard not to feel just a little betrayed.

Obviously I'm not Andrew Mackie, but if I was I'd be saying to Clayton something like:

"We're extremely confident that if you're looking to get back to your best footy and have a shot at contending every year, we are the best club in the comp for that, bar none. If a great environment, great culture, team success and personal performance are your priorities, coming over to us is a no-brainer."

"But we're not paying you stupid money. We have a system for player salaries and while you'll be very well paid at the top of the list, at our club you'll be within the framework. Which means we're prepared to pay you X. We'll do our best in the negotiations to get Melbourne to pay as much on top of that as we can, but whether that ends up being a lot, or zero, from our end we're still paying you X. That's how we roll, no exceptions. If it's not enough, thanks for your time, and best of luck with the Dees next year."
Yep- but I’m confident the club can manage all these things. Mackie is no dummy, nor is he a pushover.

The Oliver thread over on the trades board is a fun place.

Got some eagles supporter swearing Oliver is worth a first round pick and us paying 900k of his salary because one good preseason is all he needs.

The 1st Grundy trade should be our starting point. That was pick 33 for a guy 2 years into a 7 year, big money deal and no off field issues.

The Oliver thread over on the trades board is a fun place.

Got some eagles supporter swearing Oliver is worth a first round pick and us paying 900k of his salary because one good preseason is all he needs.

The 1st Grundy trade should be our starting point. That was pick 33 for a guy 2 years into a 7 year, big money deal and no off field issues.
That thread and the Smith one are some very salty threads

That would be old footage - after he finished at Geelong, Byrnes played at Melbourne for the 2013 & 2014 seasons

Following his playing career, he then took on the role of "Welfare and Development Coach" at Melbourne and was in that type of role through to 2021 when he took up the role of Player Development Manager with us

So he'd have an existing relationship with Oliver, and would think that the powers to be at the club have lent on him at times in this process to get some insight from his time at Melbourne
And Shagga's time at the Demons ties in nicely with Clarry's best form ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be selling the farm to get Clarry. He lost favour with the Melbourne playing group due to his unprofessionalism and off-field antics. The chance of recidivism is high and given the exorbitant dollars being bandied about and a 6 year contract, the risk is simply not worth it.

I was thinking something similar …..

Why are you here Clayton. What do you want from your football…. What we have here is an enviorment where we try to give each athlete the best chance to be the best version of themselves. To give them every chance to be successful while at the club and after their time playing. Admittedly, our way is not for everyone but we like it and it works..and part of that is having a structured approach to control the cap. If you are interested in coming here then we must be upfront and say its not possible without a refinement of the contractual obligations you currently have an agreement for. If maxing your recompense is your main focus ..then good luck to you. There is not a premium player on our list that could not get more money elsewhere. Have no doubt we would very much like you here and you will be well rewarded. We feel you would be a premium addition… its really up to you as we will not alter our approach…. meet some other guys have a think on what you really want…..

The salary is a much bigger question than the draft pick. Every club stuffs up first round picks. Not many have $1.2m salary sitting on the sidelines for 6 years.

The salary is a much bigger question than the draft pick. Every club stuffs up first round picks. Not many have $1.2m salary sitting on the sidelines for 6 years.

Baseball has deferred contracts, I wonder when the first club will sign a 20 year deal, clog up a list spot and use up the base wage, put the player on the LTI list.

I wouldn't be selling the farm to get Clarry. He lost favour with the Melbourne playing group due to his unprofessionalism and off-field antics. The chance of recidivism is high and given the exorbitant dollars being bandied about and a 6 year contract, the risk is simply not worth it.
I don’t think Stanley was selling him his farm, he was just there to chat and get to know his new teammates.

Ben cousins won a Brownlow in 2005, How “healthy” was he?
Funny you mention him, I met him yesterday and chatted for a few minutes
Looked a million dollars and seems to have his life in order, told him I'm old enough to remember when he chose not to play for Geelong and he remarked what a wonderful club Geelong is and how must be pleasing to follow such an organisation!

Why does so much of this get out to the media? It's such a weird scenario for them and Oliver now. There's clearly friction from both ends now, he's damned if does and damned if he doesn't and I feel Melbourne have created the scenario.
Could be Oliver's management doing it, but given how much news we got from the trac stuff could be coming from anywhere, someone needs to stfu.

Why does so much of this get out to the media? It's such a weird scenario for them and Oliver now. There's clearly friction from both ends now, he's damned if does and damned if he doesn't and I feel Melbourne have created the scenario.
Because people inside Melbourne are leaking it, they have been leaking stuff all year. It's a sign of a shit culture inside the club.

Because people inside Melbourne are leaking it, they have been leaking stuff all year. It's a sign of a shit culture inside the club.

It has stemmed on from the tanking they were doing. Most teams in world sports do so but ultimately you can pay a price in the long run.

Nathan Jones by all accounts set examples. Led from the front when it came to his fitness and off field professionalism. It's unfair he had play during those years. Whilst it may have paid off in 2021, it's a massive culture killer.

It's why Richmond aren't going to have it all pan out as they hope. But at least they have multiple flags to fall back on.

Pretty much this

The egos at Melb leaking all the details so they don’t come off as bad guys is more important to the club than Oliver’s welfare

Melb’s culture has been rotten for a long long time now

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back