Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not Stevie J either that's the worst on that Fwd line, they have DeBoer in the side ahead of Devon Smith! He's a hack. They obviously know that Smith is gone, and are not playing him deliberately is my opinion... Probably why Thurlow has been no chance lately, I reckon he's gone for sure, he will be in the Stringer trade no doubts...
Thurlow is contracted unless you know something how can you say "for sure", bloody unlucky but not going anywhere

So devon smith cant even make it into the starting 22 of an injury ravaged prelim side. And here is the real irony. He is being kept out of the game by steve fricken johnson.

Oh yes lets trade away a menzel or motlop to get him. The circle of idiocy.

Devon's not playing because they know he is gone. Not sure why you are reading too much into it.

Menzel and motlop are free agents who can go wherever they want their situations have nothing to do with trading.

Apparently the dogs are pushing hard to choose the club Stringer goes too even though they pretty much sacked him, he is apparently having none of it and we are still in front.

They can't choose who he goes to there are no push trades. If they refuse to deal with his destination club of choice they will just have a disgruntled player (who the coach wants gone) for the next 12 months.

Alot of rumors pick 20 might get it done, imagine that, pick 16 or whatever it was to Carlton for 2E and Stringer lol

I think it will need 20 plus a player (probably not anyone in our best 22 though) unless our 2018 1st rounder is involved.

They can't choose who he goes to there are no push trades. If they refuse to deal with his destination club of choice they will just have a disgruntled player (who the coach wants gone) for the next 12 months.

I know that im just reporting what ive heard, I know they cant choose.

In the case of a medical retirement (ie approved by afl doctor) the club still has to pay the player the rest of his contract but the payout doesnt count within the salary cap for that year (for example GC would still pay ablett his 2018 money but it would be exempt from their 2018 salary cap). This happened for us when egan retired we had to pay him out but it wasn't included in the cap.

So who does that work when Buddy retires due to medical reasons?

It would nice to be on the initial plus side of the trade for a change.

We have had plenty that have gone our way overall, but even my 1/2 full approach had us overpaying for PFD and 2E, and losing on Bundy, Caddy and Stanley a bit.

Now most if not all have worked out pretty well, some more well than others but overall well.

It would be nice to see the WB / Stringer thing burn down to the point where we get him cheaper than market value. Just so we win something on the front for a change.
Granted, as I suggested, most have worked out ok in the long run.

And before those that look for holes jump in flapping about HMac, Drum et al - fully admit we have some some shockers as well.

GO Catters

So who does that work when Buddy retires due to medical reasons?

They made a special rule on top of the rule that the swans have to carry it in their cap which is interesting.

They made a special rule on top of the rule that the swans have to carry it in their cap which is interesting.

LOL ..they just make it up...
SUNS = AFL so in other words .... if Ablett retired they could rule that he has retired due to the injuries he has had and not put it in their cap.

Devon's not playing because they know he is gone. Not sure why you are reading too much into it.

Menzel and motlop are free agents who can go wherever they want their situations have nothing to do with trading.
You think they are seriously going to jeopardize a chance at a premiership by not picking their best side out of pettiness around contracts? Thats ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would nice to be on the initial plus side of the trade for a change.

We have had plenty that have gone our way overall, but even my 1/2 full approach had us overpaying for PFD and 2E, and losing on Bundy, Caddy and Stanley a bit.

Now most if not all have worked out pretty well, some more well than others but overall well.

It would be nice to see the WB / Stringer thing burn down to the point where we get him cheaper than market value. Just so we win something on the front for a change.
Granted, as I suggested, most have worked out ok in the long run.

And before those that look for holes jump in flapping about HMac, Drum et al - fully admit we have some some shockers as well.

GO Catters

Any trade is a risk ..any drafted player is a risk... its a risk business and for some ..that think we will always walk away smiling ..is a little ignorant. But I agree it seems most often we do prioritise getting the deal done..and leverage our system to make it work in the long run.

Even the best must be wrong half the time... so one has to take an overall look and balance at it.. have we reviewed our poor outcomes and learned etc. Hmac was an example of very poor outcome ..not so much the cost but result and the affect it had. If he had been able to be fit and return to his best by 2013 finals..it may have been a win.. but not to play a game . Triple X. And his injuries were known , plenty said he was cooked. With these guys , if they traded in as PnP , they hopefully are. His failure may have cost us a GF spot.

Scott Selwood is the other side of this. The difference I think.. is that one has more margin on mids. Rucks have less spots on the list , less margin for error as you rely on one or two more intensely. So if we do bring in these type we best not be so reliant on the miracle outcome. So yes I think we have learned a bit , rather than just the cheap trade or the old FA..best to pay more for a better quality product.

Some keep mentioning the Caddy one. To me .. this deal is the classic one where you take a step backwards to hopefully enrich us long term..and great example of us getting unders at the trade table.

So where does Stringer fit.

My main bugbear after last year was our lack of high end talent that we had in our pervious era. We came from further down. Then and now we have managed to have few of Wells clever picks but back then we had several early single figure draft picks , this time it seemed the earliest we could get was in the teens ..and it was ultimately just short of what we needed. Either no FS or no painfully gained early picks , we just seemed to lack enough talent when it counted.

Stringer , on talent , is just what we do need. Early talent and PnP , 23 ...he could have a Danger like impact and could give several years service He has big luggage but if we can handle it is could be worth the effort and the cost. So yes it would be good to get a upfront win.. but in only two years the cost for Danger has just melted away. The real win with a Stringer would getting him and getting him to perform in the next couple of years ..while his "other" issues settle or disappear. If he did that the cost , like the Danger one , may almost be just a half remembered stat.

LOL ..they just make it up...
SUNS = AFL so in other words .... if Ablett retired they could rule that he has retired due to the injuries he has had and not put it in their cap.

That's why i was surprised sydney didnt challenge the ruling tbh i suppose they just decided they didn't want to wrangle with the AFL.

Yes.. to us, North as FS and Bris or GCS as a zone or academy or something

Go catters
Very interesting test here, academy kid without many ties to Victoria but not obliged to the Gold Coast. Will he still choose the Suns that have taken him through their academy pathway?

So Cooney has us trading Lang + Motlop to GC for GAJ (GC will pay a portion of GAJ's salary) and Stanley (Fills a need for doggies) + a 2nd rounder for Stringer.

I must admit when I wrote about the thought that I didn't think going for Ablett with an early pick was a good idea I was expecting to be jumped upon but instead just got common sense statements from all different sides , well done everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back