Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch the Dons next season, they will have a big season provided Daniher is on the park... Langford and Laverde finally coming of age, big blokes can go forward and in the midfield, they needed the bigger guys in the guts earlier this year. They have the pace to burn, back half and front half, they just needed bigger bodies in the guts.
Agreed. If they land Shiel, they’ll be scary good.

I reckon our interest in Dahlhaus is a sure sign Kelly won't be here long-term. I doubt we trade him at the end of this year, but we will have no choice at the end of 2019 when he's OOC. The one big positive is there is no trade required for Dahlhaus - just his salary - and we will get a first round pick as minimum compensation if and when Kelly leaves. We could actually do well out of this as Dahlhaus is a very good player when he's up and running.
Not really, wasn't GHS on decent coin? He will be going...

Plus, salary cap is increasing for next season I believe, plus Taylor and GAJ are likely to be gone by end of next season, so there should be plenty of salary cap available, especially if they back-end his contract offer.

They did though, without buddy you could argue Sydney don’t make the 2014 and 2016 Grand Finals.

Lynch will help Richmond get better or at least keep their window open for longer.

The question that I have is how does a club that is paying Martin over 10% of its cap get another player who will also take 10%?

This is probably the real impact that Richmond will face in a few years. Talented players like Higgins wont be able to earn their market value by staying with Richmond. If they don't win this year, then that will put pressure on them, with players questioning why they have taken a pay cut if they didn't win a premiership. If they win, that too should put some pressure, where players who are now considered as 2-time premiership players generally can get increased salaries...

The question that I have is how does a club that is paying Martin over 10% of its cap get another player who will also take 10%?

This is probably the real impact that Richmond will face in a few years. Talented players like Higgins wont be able to earn their market value by staying with Richmond. If they don't win this year, then that will put pressure on them, with players questioning why they have taken a pay cut if they didn't win a premiership. If they win, that too should put some pressure, where players who are now considered as 2-time premiership players generally can get increased salaries...

We were in that scenario back when we were playing in GF’s and winning flags.

They’ll stay if success is what they truly desire.

We were in that scenario back when we were playing in GF’s and winning flags.

They’ll stay if success is what they truly desire.

How many of our premiership stars did we pay $1million+ to stay in the first place though?

I thought our guys across the board took paycuts - seems that Richmond is going to have a couple/few guys on big big money & then it will be those coming through that will be making the sacrifices to stay

Not really, wasn't GHS on decent coin? He will be going...

Plus, salary cap is increasing for next season I believe, plus Taylor and GAJ are likely to be gone by end of next season, so there should be plenty of salary cap available, especially if they back-end his contract offer.

Yeah that's true but I wasn't referring to the salary, rather the role Dahlhaus could play in our team. If Kelly is going, he takes his place in the midfield and can play that pressure forward role too. But Dahlhaus is predominantly a midfielder these days, so I think he could be a like-for-like swap for Kelly in the event he departs, which looks increasingly likely, thus the reason we are probably chasing Dahlhaus imo. We actually have enough small forwards now, we just need to keep them on the park..

Dahl can step in and take linc and gregsons money. They both should be delisted.

To many small fwd/small mids on the list it's very lop sided especially if we draft even more.(Pickett) etc.
With the departure of Thurlow, GHS possibly Gardner and House, medium and tall stocks will be very thin.
We need a couple of decent sized flankers like Broard and Grimes.

Dahlhaus' best footy has always been as a mid, far from convinced he'll be effective as a forward, lacks pace and struggles to kick over 40m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something to mull over
I had posted the potential "tin foil hat" 3 way trade a while ago - I didnt have the specifics right but the concept plays..

What is NM pick... is it Top 10?

Go Catters

Something to mull over
Superficially .. one would say .why would North trade for Gaff... and would Norths pick be enough for us to relent?

North have been willing to trade the R1 because of TarThomas ... and it would give us a pick around ..11

Its still not early enough to get the player we would like ... but who knows who would be available... and the 2 r1 picks is what I have been banging on about for a while... and if he has been offered 700+... makes it hard to keep him

will be 11 after Lynch comp
so we could have our Rd 1 plus Norths...

Now shit gets real interesting - not so much form losing TK potentially - but from having say 2 Top 15 picks in a super deep draft from 1 -20.

Go Catters

so we could have our Rd 1 plus Norths...

Now shit gets real interesting - not so much form losing TK potentially - but from having say 2 Top 15 picks in a super deep draft from 1 -20.

Go Catters

There is plenty that would say there is a top7/8 group then another group out to 20 or so ... it would open up a number of players that we might have had to choose between. ...

How they handle it however may be different to our expectation. Losing Kelly will make them carefully consider if they take a kid or look at trades.

Last edited:
Something to mull over

I don't know it that would satisfy Geelong though would it?. As it stands, Norths 1st rounder is pick 10, which can slide quite the way down if GCS/Carlton get priority picks that are at the start of the draft....and/or Lynch compo.

Cook has been pretty vocal of late about no trades for Kelly. He was also in the Addy saying Geelong cannot afford to slide out of finals contention until average crowd numbers hit 35k (currently 29k) which can't happen until ground capacity is increased.

Kelly seems pretty vital to that continuing even after just one season.

I hope "Mail Mans" mail is returned to sender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back