Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Carlton are not the exception to the rule at all.

They're merely the poster child for how going the full blown rebuild more often than not fails to succeed, thus shouldn't be such a sought after path for us to take, cynical being one such soul that does want that, and more over it isn't the panacea to success that some think it is.

It frankly isn't, to put up spakfilla's like Daisy, Lumumba or Clark etc etc as evidence that they did not go the whole hog in a rebuild is beside the point. If you want to say that every flag side trades on its way to success then that's probably true. You'd be hard pressed to find a premier that didn't participate in a player trade prior to that success, let's say 5 years prior. They all would have. This is what we're doing, supplementing our list via all 3 avenues. I'd say that's a fair approach.

However, if we trace the convo back to the beginning, David responded to a comment that inferred cynical being in the short term pain for long term gain group by highlighting Carlton (the poster child) as a reason why that method often ends in tears. Melbourne, Suns, Saints, GWS, Brisbane are other examples of clubs that in recent years have embarked on or endured that full blown rebuild, sometimes more than once, and by and large got nowhere near success. The Tigers were in that group until they won, and they did so with key trades for Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis shortly prior to that flag. Thus if we do go back to the original premise it truly does highlight the value of trading, and the so called "rebuild promised land" most of the time ending up as a mirage that's never attained.
They are still the exception. Only team in the AFL era to win a flag after trading in a superstar. Had to rort the cap to do it though.
Yeah every flag team that I can remember has had players bought in from other clubs.
Difference is they had the team built first, then added to it where needed.
Not relied on it to win.

They are still the exception. Only team in the AFL era to win a flag after trading in a superstar. Had to rort the cap to do it though.
Yeah every flag team that I can remember has had players bought in from other clubs.
Difference is they had the team built first, then added to it where needed.
Not relied on it to win.
There’s your furphy. We’re still actively building via the draft.

So we might need to replace 10ish players, maybe more? Will this be the most players replaced in any draft/trade period ever? Anyone know our record? I’m looking forward to the wash up...............I think.

So we might need to replace 10ish players, maybe more? Will this be the most players replaced in any draft/trade period ever? Anyone know our record? I’m looking forward to the wash up...............I think.

2016 we had 12 I think with one leaving as a rookie. Most years it’s 8-11 players turned over.

Last edited:
Afl.com.au reporting the cats are willing to trade Kelly to the eagles if they receive a "high" draft pick in return.

It feels like the Cats want people to think both WA clubs are in play so that their tough talk about high picks is credible, where as in reality, if Gaff does not go, no compo pick (plus player) for the trade, hence Kelly stays put for next year (and Cats pray the Eagles fall from the sky).

Afl.com.au reporting the cats are willing to trade Kelly to the eagles if they receive a "high" draft pick in return.

What constitutes as ‘high’? North’s highest pick is pick 10, which is not high enough and they have to use it to get Polec anyway. So that would mean it would be the Gaff or Lycett compensation, both of which are rumoured to be no better than late first round.

I guess goals don’t matter then.

You’re not telling anyone anything they don’t know by saying Menzel’s pressure is terrible. But you’re also judging him on a stat that isn’t what his role is about, which is kicking goals & making something out of nothing (e.g. inboard kick to Hawkins that set up the match winning goal for Tuohy). It’s like me judging a small forward (who’s main role is pressure & tackles) on how many hitouts he gets even though that isn’t his role.

With Menz I think of Josh Caddy. Doesn’t tackle much but can make something happen out of nothing inside 50, take a good contested mark, and kicks goals. Richmond surround Riewoldt & Caddy with small forwards (Rioli, Butler, Castagna) who do the pressuring which allows Caddy to focus on the goals. But when Caddy has a bad game they don’t focus on his pressure like people seem to do with Menz.

The problem is we surround Hawkins & Menz with mostly midfielders playing as forwards (Parfitt, Fogarty, Narkle) when we should be surrounding them with actual pressure forwards who are natural small forwards instead of playing young midfielders out of position, because as soon as those guys have poor games (which isn’t a huge surprise considering they’re young & not playing in their proper position) and we lose all of a sudden it’s Menzel’s fault because he doesn’t pressure even though that’s not his role.

Menz also played better as the third forward this season before Esava was injured and that was when Menz had kicked the 15 goals in 5 games. I’m hoping next season we give Parfitt, Fogarty & Narkle more time as midfielders and allow small forwards to play as small forwards instead.

For e.g:
Cockatoo - Ratugolea - Dahlhaus
Rohan - Hawkins - Menzel
Jones/Miers/Murdoch on interchange too.

Hawkins No.1 forward, Ratugolea 2nd forward & rucking when Stanley needs a rest, Menzel third forward. Surround them with the pressure of Cockatoo, Dahlhaus & Rohan/Murdoch/Jones and we might actually have a pretty good functioning forward line.

What you’re saying is we have to compensate for Menzel’s lack of pressure by surrounding him with players that can fill that void. Do you not see the downfall in that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cryptic instagram messages lately from Rohan with the hashtag #notleaving

Also, I don't know how/why we'd cop his full wage, even if the pick to get him was cheap. Especially given he approached us, not the other way around.
He was taking the piss on my reading of it.

Tom Harley made it pretty clear a deal will be done.

What you’re saying is we have to compensate for Menzel’s lack of pressure by surrounding him with players that can fill that void. Do you not see the downfall in that?

No it’s about having the right balance in the forward line of players who’s role is to kick goals & take contested marks mixed with the players who pressure & force turnovers.

If Menzel’s role was to be a pressure player then of course there’s a huge downfall in that & he should be dropped forever. That’s not his role though as I said before.

Did you read what I said about Caddy & Richmond? They have a good balance in their forward line because they compliment the players who can take contested marks & kick goals in Riewoldt & Caddy (who don’t pressure but that’s not their role) with players who pressure & force the opposition into turning the ball over (which is their role) in Rioli, Butler, Castagna.

It’s about getting your players to play to their strengths, Richmond know Caddy doesn’t pressure but he can kick goals therefore they focus on the goalkicking.

What constitutes as ‘high’? North’s highest pick is pick 10, which is not high enough and they have to use it to get Polec anyway. So that would mean it would be the Gaff or Lycett compensation, both of which are rumoured to be no better than late first round.

There was talk (Mitch Cleary) that the Eagles might bundle picks to trade with Sydney for pick 12 as they would use those trade points to get Blakey.

There’s a chance menzel might not be playing anywhere next year. And he still thinks someone is going to come from nowhere with that 2 yr deal :rolleyes:

Herald sun reporting the manager or Menzel thinks he is not as likely to resign with Geelong this year compared to last year. Reckons there is genuine interest in him from other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back