Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam is 29 now so another 4 years sounds crazy. One thing having players at 30 but having players contracted to 33 sounds like madness. Surely 3 years would be enough.

Guthrie only just turned 29 today, add in that he's an UFA, I'd say it's a good chance that there's other teams out there willing to offer him a 4yr deal or 3 years on longer money than what we may be able to afford

If increasing our offer to 4 yrs is what gets him over the line, I'm happier with that than him going elsewhere

Contract update in today’s Herald-Sun:

+ Cam Guth close to 4-year extension
+ Close to sign a multi-year deal
+ Zuthrie and Evans ‘expected to stay’
+ Hendo and Stanley expected to sign for 2022
+ Jenkins long odds to receive a contract
+ Kreuger ‘a situation to watch’
+ Narkle ‘weighting up his options’

Stanley surprises me (but isnt bad news) the rest is very much as expected.

Be interesting to see who if anyone retires if we win the flag.

The long term deals are for salary cap purposes. otherwise we couldn't afford to keep them all.

Correct..its the same as why danger got a long term deal to 2024..menegola to 2023 etc when they are all post 30..its salary cap management.

Looks like there might be a lot fewer list changes than expected at the end of this year if Stanley, Hendo and Zuthrie sign on (not saying I wanted them to leave, just that there were question marks over their futures for various reasons).

Constable, Narkle, Clark, Jarvis, Taheny, Brownless and Jenkins may be the only list changes. :think:

Clark is contracted so wont go unless he wants to. The others (bar taheny who i reckon i would delist and re rookie) are obviously in danger. I still think we will have a couple of retirements or trades.

He's still by far our best option in that position. He's a frustrating high variance player but the alternatives on our list are garbage right now.

Agreed. I expected him to retire though.

He's still by far our best option in that position. He's a frustrating high variance player but the alternatives on our list are garbage right now.
100% agree. I’m glad he’s going on in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley surprises me (but isnt bad news) the rest is very much as expected.

Be interesting to see who if anyone retires if we win the flag.
Im not sure where the Stanley finished rumours even came from, he was always playing on will only be 31 at years end.

Guthrie only just turned 29 today, add in that he's an UFA, I'd say it's a good chance that there's other teams out there willing to offer him a 4yr deal or 3 years on longer money than what we may be able to afford

If increasing our offer to 4 yrs is what gets him over the line, I'm happier with that than him going elsewhere

Joel has been on one year contracts for years, what's good for him is good for guthrie. 3 max. As if he's going anywhere anyway

Joel has been on one year contracts for years, what's good for him is good for guthrie. 3 max. As if he's going anywhere anyway

This year was the first 1-year contract for Joel; that in turn means when Cam turns 33 he can sign a 1-year extension

Selwood signed a 4-year deal back in 2016 which he was 27 turning 28 during the season - that took him through to the end of 2019, but in Dec 2017 he signed a 2-year extension through to the end of this year. He's always had a longer term deal or signed on well in advanced to coming out of contract

Edit - as for Guthrie going nowhere, he's an UFA and it's not unreasonable to think that there would be teams, especially those a bit down the ladder, would be willing to throw more money at him than what we could afford to do

Last edited:
They came from Stanley, indirectly.

If you'd been treated like Rhys has been across the course of his time with us, you'd have every reason to look at potentially pulling the pin in frustration. No other player has worn more 'responsibility' (real or perceived) for our failures in recent years than him.

Hopefully how he's finishing this season (and the club backing him in, for a change) might have altered his outlook on whether it's worth going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back