Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this will ever be a problem, they are a family of surfing Dudes buying houses close to the beach, close family
Hope you're right because I think SDK has saved us defensively, but we cannot rest on our laurels with him. He is something special and could be made the Marlon Brando offer

Bulldogs have Jones, Gardner, Keath as key defenders and also the ability to move Bruce, Naughton and Darcy back as well.

I do concede they probably need a developing tall back but I don't see it as a glaring need in the short to medium term.
Completely agree... They are starting to look stacked for key position players.

You didn't even mention that they brought in Lobb aswell.

Who would have an eye on here? Parish and McKay seem like good targets no?

Im not sure any of them are players one break the bank for... Parish seems like Dahl addition. If we have a need then yes. Ben McKay ? Where does he fit in the side?

Id say some of the DFA's that go back to a lower level may appeal just as much... some of them are quite young. Poulter drafted at 30 in the same draft as Henry ... would it surprise if we monitor these guys at a lower level

Last edited:
Tom Doedee please.

Yes and No. Like hits and misses.
Isaac Smith HIT
Higgins MISS
Ceglar MISS
Dalhaus Mehh BITofBOTH.
Of course hits and misses, but ultimately it won us the trophy.
Hawkins hit
Selwood hit
Dangerfield hit
Tuohy hit
Duncan hit
And so it goes
Player management is a new phenomenon due to Geelongs efforts
Respect for players goes a long way

Would love to see us go after Parish.

He won’t need much convincing to leave the basket case either cos he’s from the surf coast
We have one future pick with how many retiring?
Must have ourveye on free agents
Parish
Doedee
Himmelberg
Would be my aim
Himmlberg good forward and back
Doedee solid as a rock
Parish to bolster our local mid contingent

Yes and No. Like hits and misses.
Isaac Smith HIT
Higgins MISS
Ceglar MISS
Dalhaus Mehh BITofBOTH.

Hit/Miss should only be in relation to what you were aiming for.

Ceglar wasn't recruited to be the superstar first choice ruckman, he was recruited to be a solid back-up. I would contend that he fits that bill perfectly. Higgins is definitely more of a miss, unfortunately, because there was a loftier ambition with his recruitment.

Hit/Miss should only be in relation to what you were aiming for.

Ceglar wasn't recruited to be the superstar first choice ruckman, he was recruited to be a solid back-up. I would contend that he fits that bill perfectly. Higgins is definitely more of a miss, unfortunately, because there was a loftier ambition with his recruitment.
And Ceglar was injured for much of the season which is beyond the club’s control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We picked up Bowes in a salary dump.
Why not someone take a shot of smoothing out Williams contract

Easier said than done, and for a few reasons especially regarding the Williams situation:

• Williams has 4 years left to run on his contract worth a reported $4.8 million over 6 years
  • If we fast forward 12 months, he'll be 29 with 3 years left potentially $800k per season
  • When a player will turn 32 before the end of their current contract, it becomes a much harder sell that there's value in offering him a contract for 4 or 5 years just to "smooth over" an existing contract, especially when the player hasn't exactly shown durability across their career

Trading out a player like Williams would likely see Carlton having to do something similar to what Collingwood has done with both Trealor & Grundy - pay a chunk of their wage for their new club to take them; not exactly a smart way of going about things

Also, don't be surprised if in future that in a trade similar to that of Bowes to Geelong where we also got pick 7, that the AFL makes tweaks to rules around that type salary dump trade:

"Potentially, a demarcation line would be based on whether the recipient club gives up a worse pick than the one they are receiving for taking on a big contract."

• Basically, the idea would be that in receiving Bowes & pick 7, we wouldn't be able to smooth out his contract and instead have to take it on as he was owed.
  • But, if the club is willing to pay more for the player (and included picks), and so it ends up more equitable or in favour of the club losing the player, than the contract can be renegotiated

Of course hits and misses, but ultimately it won us the trophy.
Hawkins hit
Selwood hit
Dangerfield hit
Tuohy hit
Duncan hit
And so it goes
Player management is a new phenomenon due to Geelongs efforts
Respect for players goes a long way

Not sure the likes of Hawkins, Selwood & Duncan are relevant to a discussion regarding trading in older players - we were the club that drafted them, and offering them contracts after turning 30 is a different proposition to trading in a player who's 29/30

As for Dangerfield, he was 25 when he joined Geelong, and Tuohy turned 27 in the months after joining us - so again, I would suggest they aren't guys who'd be included in discussions about trading in older players

Trading out a player like Williams would likely see Carlton having to do something similar to what Collingwood has done with both Trealor & Grundy - pay a chunk of their wage for their new club to take them; not exactly a smart way of going about things
Yeah nah id rather just keep him than do that surely?

Yeah nah id rather just keep him than do that surely?
He's reportedly earning $800k per season, played 14 games last season & 9 this season (subbed off twice in those 23 games also), if a similar trend continues next season, how much would a 3rd club really be willing to pay him?

Would it be $500k a season, meaning Carlton is then forking out $300k a year for 3 years for a guy not on their books - doesn't seem a good use of salary cap space...

We sort of need to orchestrate something for next year IMO. Either on draft night if Clark becomes unavailable or next years trade period.
We could have some retirements next year and a F1 (12-18) and........ bubkis end of draft selections ain't going to allow us to replenish that.
There is still some seriously good talent available at pick 8 whichever way you wamt to spin it that we should be selecting and getting into our system asap as opposed to loading up for next year or dropping down.

If any of humphries mckenzie phillopou clark are available we should take one.

I can also smell a steal and almost force a scenario where west coast 1 pick ahead of us catches wind we want ginby and trades down to our pick for their pick 8 and somerhing else... As ginby has geelong and wells type pick all over him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back