Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair chance they want all 3, so wouldn't be at all surprising to try and get our 7, Saints 9, if Clark/McKenzie was gone, for their Future 1st.

I'm more on Ginbey, but you can't go wrong with any of them, IMO

What is deal exactly here ? They want 7m from us.... 9 from the saints ... what do we and the saints get?

What is deal exactly here ? They want 7m from us.... 9 from the saints ... what do we and the saints get?
F1

We go into a pit and fight till the death.

Their Future 1st was what I had it as - for us or the Saints (depending on who is more likely to trade)?

Between both of us?

Yeah one or the other (they obviously only need 1 more 1st to get all 3 WA kids), so for me it would be dependant on a) who they wanted and how badly they wanted them, and b) whether either of our clubs still had the player we most wanted on the board.

Carlton won't trade IMO, given they're apparently looking to get up the order/they may be looking at Busslinger to partner Weitering, and a club like the Bulldogs probably looks at Busslinger, so they need to get ahead of both of those clubs to be assured all 3, IMO.

All hypothetical of course

Yeah one or the other (they obviously only need 1 more 1st to get all 3 WA kids), so for me it would be dependant on a) who they wanted and how badly they wanted them, and b) whether either of our clubs still had the player we most wanted on the board.

Carlton won't trade IMO, given they're apparently looking to get up the order/they may be looking at Busslinger to partner Weitering, and a club like the Bulldogs probably looks at Busslinger, so they need to get ahead of both of those clubs to be assured all 3, IMO.

All hypothetical of course

Misunderstood... 7 or 9 ..not both.

The have a couple of later ones they will probably look at as well... and next year is supposed to be good for them so ... choices I guess.

Carlton and Dogs after Buss? Id have thought they would go a different way... funny how we see it different. If they like tall defenders..would they pull the trigger on Hayes early.

7 for 8 and a Fr2 ...yes especially if one knows they are going a WA player that you were not going to pick. That would be an interesting conundrum pre-draft ...as it would suddenly give us collateral in draft. Woudl they trade 8 though for that ...my guess is they would offer 12

Now this will sound too good to be true, but I'd be down.

Howz about we swap #7 for their #12... Giving them 7 + 8 this year and I'd assume would be for the two top WA kids they'd want.

But then we swap our F1's around next year... Giving us what would likely be a very decent pick next year and them something probs in the mid-teens.

Obviously that trade would hurt us a tad this year as it seems there's realy a top 8 or 9 players (still could get a decent one fall to 12 (#13).
But we'd make up for it next year assuming WCE are bad.
They'd need to back themselves.

7 for 8 and a Fr2 ...yes especially if one knows they are going a WA player that you were not going to pick. That would be an interesting conundrum pre-draft ...as it would suddenly give us collateral in draft. Woudl they trade 8 though for that ...my guess is they would offer 12
would be difficult to accept that from our POV because the draft is considered to taper off quickly after the first batch this year. I imagine we are lining up one of the premier mids with pick 8 who will still be available, or Busslinger.. very good chance both scenarios are unavailable at 12.

Now this will sound too good to be true, but I'd be down.

Howz about we swap #7 for their #12... Giving them 7 + 8 this year and I'd assume would be for the two top WA kids they'd want.

But then we swap our F1's around next year... Giving us what would likely be a very decent pick next year and them something probs in the mid-teens.

Obviously that trade would hurt us a tad this year as it seems there's realy a top 8 or 9 players (still could get a decent one fall to 12 (#13).
But we'd make up for it next year assuming WCE are bad.
They'd need to back themselves.
for us to budge from 7 to 8 it would have to be enticing enough for us, which i do not think pick 12 and a second rounder is due to the substantial drop off this year from 7 to 12.

would be difficult to accept that from our POV because the draft is considered to taper off quickly after the first batch this year. I imagine we are lining up one of the premier mids with pick 8 who will still be available, or Busslinger.. very good chance both scenarios are unavailable at 12.
for us to budge from 7 to 8 it would have to be enticing enough for us, which i do not think pick 12 and a second rounder is due to the substantial drop off this year from 7 to 12.

This perception is dependant on ones POV on the players that are likely to be available at 12. Id think when the draft happens ..we will see some very handy kids available at 12.

Jefferson, Hollands, Hayes, Hotton ... and one I really like, Weddle. Id don't think its a cliff by any means.

I do the deal but i doubt they do. I cant see us getting a Fr2 from WC for a 1 spot change. Odds are the know we do not pick the WA player... and they keep an early pick next year when draft has several wa kids.

Easier said than done, and for a few reasons especially regarding the Williams situation:

• Williams has 4 years left to run on his contract worth a reported $4.8 million over 6 years
  • If we fast forward 12 months, he'll be 29 with 3 years left potentially $800k per season
  • When a player will turn 32 before the end of their current contract, it becomes a much harder sell that there's value in offering him a contract for 4 or 5 years just to "smooth over" an existing contract, especially when the player hasn't exactly shown durability across their career

Trading out a player like Williams would likely see Carlton having to do something similar to what Collingwood has done with both Trealor & Grundy - pay a chunk of their wage for their new club to take them; not exactly a smart way of going about things

Also, don't be surprised if in future that in a trade similar to that of Bowes to Geelong where we also got pick 7, that the AFL makes tweaks to rules around that type salary dump trade:

"Potentially, a demarcation line would be based on whether the recipient club gives up a worse pick than the one they are receiving for taking on a big contract."

• Basically, the idea would be that in receiving Bowes & pick 7, we wouldn't be able to smooth out his contract and instead have to take it on as he was owed.
  • But, if the club is willing to pay more for the player (and included picks), and so it ends up more equitable or in favour of the club losing the player, than the contract can be renegotiated
Makes sense but it's Carlton. Who knows where they sit post 22

Not sure the likes of Hawkins, Selwood & Duncan are relevant to a discussion regarding trading in older players - we were the club that drafted them, and offering them contracts after turning 30 is a different proposition to trading in a player who's 29/30

As for Dangerfield, he was 25 when he joined Geelong, and Tuohy turned 27 in the months after joining us - so again, I would suggest they aren't guys who'd be included in discussions about trading in older players
not talking trades there but age profiling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any interest in Jefferson here? Couple of mock drafts have us taking him or sliding back to do so.

Feels a bit Harry Jones to me. Probably being talked up a bit more due to the lack of key position talent in this pool (much like Jones)

Any interest in Jefferson here? Couple of mock drafts have us taking him or sliding back to do so.

Feels a bit Harry Jones to me. Probably being talked up a bit more due to the lack of key position talent in this pool (much like Jones)
Don't like. Looks ordinary 1v1. His frame does not look like he will grow into a contested forward. Does not look overly agile or athletic either. I would much rather take busslinger. His 7 goal haul in the championship was pretty mediocre when you look at the goals as well

Don't like. Looks ordinary 1v1. His frame does not look like he will grow into a contested forward. Does not look overly agile or athletic either. I would much rather take busslinger. His 7 goal haul in the championship was pretty mediocre when you look at the goals as well
I was gonna say how can a 7 goal haul be mediocre but then I remembered the time Angus monfries got 7 Joe the gooses against us. 😳

Size doesn't worry me that much if the talent is there, see alot of the King boys in watching Jefferson's footage, will be a pretty good player in 2 or 3 years.

I was against Ceglar ..but id say the jury is still out. Ic oudl see him play a lot of footy for us in 23... I think I heard he has an amazing record of being a flags sides but being not selected in the side

Cegs is a good squad player..gives us one more year of capable depth if stanley gets injured until conway is ready. 2024 hopefully conway is ready for afl though.

Size doesn't worry me that much if the talent is there, see alot of the King boys in watching Jefferson's footage, will be a pretty good player in 2 or 3 years.

King boys were far more developed as juniors and more dominant than jefferson though he is a project player who may not come on. Not the type of risk id take at 7.

Jefferson 195cm
Max King 204cm

King's biggest weapon is that he can plunk the ball from higher than others due to his height and reach.
Jefferson at 195cm is not going to have that luxury.

I can see Jefferson pushing out in the draft a bit unless there's a couple of sides keen to take a tall forward with their 1st pick

I was gonna say how can a 7 goal haul be mediocre but then I remembered the time Angus monfries got 7 Joe the gooses against us. 😳

Id be a little more confident on Jefferson than others seeminly are. At 7 ? Id say its a an ordinary draft if he is at 7 .. Sam Dek was 19 ..and id have thought end of R1 was more his spot ...not so much on talent for mine but he will take time to develop.

What i liked was he took one very good high flying mark and he could find the ball. However some mark off leads..which are less impressive at the lower level .as its a much less crowded game. One or two gifts which means little. He is kicking is a little bit off and on. The 7 goal game he had a good day ..but he was coming off a game where kicked a stack of points.

There is talent there but there is plenty of evidence that its a risky business drafting talls early if they rely too much on leading and openness to gain possession. He is a little bit cagier than that but its definitely buy with care with a top10 pick imo.

King boys were far more developed as juniors and more dominant than jefferson though he is a project player who may not come on. Not the type of risk id take at 7.

Kings really are a different group arn't they. Max King at his best... Id say even Dam Dek would struggle to stop him marking. I cant understand the reluctunce to just get the kid a personal coach. If improved his goal kicking ... Stk win more games. That simple.

On Jefferson..I sort of agree ...if we had a stack of top 10 talent already drafted and we rolling the dice..fine... but he as you know... one tries to assess if what he is and what he does is adaptable. Funny to think 195cm is a questionable height. I think the height is OK..but I worry at his body frame. Can you imagine he against Sav? He is probably just a taller version of of what Ollie Henry can offer. If he is relying on mobility he would need to compare himself against Cameron. He is the prototype for that body shape.

Not that I'd dislike his addition but I'd probably prefer others ..and to add a big chunk late. Surely someone like Leemey or Scully etc. if we want a KPF/KPD could be brought in. One of these guys must be like an unpolished gem that we could get late and we take a more percentage play with the earlier pick.

I think Leemey played a bit down back? Id like to see these guys play .. the kid Tuck sounds interesting

Is he required at Geelong?

If we're going to throw the kitchen sink at a "name" player from another club I'm not convinced it's SDK despite the obvious link with his brother. Everything I've seen points to him being a ruckman who can go forward at times. Not a forward who occasionally plays in the ruck. So if that's the case, is TDK a priority if we're focusing on Conway with support from Stanley / Ceglar / Esava?

My bet is that he'll sign another contract with Carlton during the season as they'll want to lock him in. Also keep in mind that even though they've locked in Walsh, Curnow and McKay on hefty deals, they can also start to back end deals as all clubs know they'll have a larger cap and more cash once the next TV rights deal starts to kick in.

I'd gladly take TDK but not sure it will happen that easily.

TDK is a strong pass for me, even if he becomes available he be way too expensive to trade for. Who was the last young ruck we put in the first team? Mark Blake? we seem to just try and trade for ready made serviceable rucks except for guys like goldstein and grundy whos obviously more than serviceable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back