Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely we’re after Grundy if the Pies are willing to pay part of his salary?
Changes plenty for me, if you can get Pies to pay a portion and renegotiate the rest of his contract and spread the amount out over the next 5 years I dont see why we wouldnt do it, Stanley and Ceglar are no guarantees at 32 and we have nobody else remotely ready for senior footy.

If Collingwood perceive that the benefit between Grundy over Cameron is marginal, dumping Grundy becomes a no brainer as they're probably playing Grundy close to three times as much.

The money isn't just for McStay or JDG or Taranto rather being split between the three to get those kinds of moves over the line. Most of the money freed up for those moves would be done elsewhere.

Good list management is paying for less than its output is worth. For the first two years in the AFL Tim Kelly was the best player in the AFL now he is one of the worst, for the last 8 weeks Tom Atkins was close to the best.
I must admit I dont get it at all from Collingwood, Cox and Cameron are reasonable around the ground but both are very very average tap Rucks.

Two ruckmen is antiquated. It is utterly unnecessary. Demons need a key forward. If Grundy is hsppy to play KPD forward next year it might work but the need one to kick 50+ goals

Didn't exactly look "antiquated" in last years finals. It will always remain an option.

Didn't exactly look "antiquated" in last years finals. It will always remain an option.
I agree, and Stanley is almost a perfect second ruckman.

but, it needs to make sense from a $ perspective. Grundy at $650k per annum net to us is ok (just), but the 5 years left on his deal scares the bejeezus out of me. I think I would pass.

like paying $300k for a player to play for the opposition?

Don't doubt Collingwood are considering their options with him. I just think wherever he potentially lands, that club will either pick up the bulk of his salary OR they'll pay in some draft capital. We won't be able to send them pick 40 AND they pay $1.5mil of his salary for the remainder of his contract, it will be one or the other at best

Well the way I interpret it they feel as if they made a 600k-900k per year mistake for the next 5 years and are willing to split it 50-50 with someone else for something in return.

My model has 2021 Grundy with a value of 1.2 while 2022 Cameron has a value of 1.14 not an exact 1 for 1 as Cameron's ruck attendance implies that there will have to be someone pulling a larger than usual 2nd ruck duty. They've contracted Cameron for a few extra years and Cox has hit a trigger for another year in his contract. Which is way too much money for them sitting with their ruck division.

We'll probably have to pay something, but it'd be a buyers market, we have plenty of late draft DVI to play with the generate something for them. Given that they'll be against the clock to make a FA move we might be the beneficiaries of two mistakes made by Collingwood.

I must admit I dont get it at all from Collingwood, Cox and Cameron are reasonable around the ground but both are very very average tap Rucks.

I think a comment made when the article came out that Jeremy Finlayson was named as CDs player ratings best ruckman, that Sam Powell-Pepper would be probably be considered a dominant ruckman under the AFL player rating model. When you think of a typical ruck contest of two 200cm + 110kgs wresteling with each other it doesn't surprise me that over the course of a season that hitouts appear so statistically undecisive.

I like our current style of ruck where we are a little weak at hitout by strong around the ground.

I think a comment made when the article came out that Jeremy Finlayson was named as CDs player ratings best ruckman, that Sam Powell-Pepper would be probably be considered a dominant ruckman under the AFL player rating model. When you think of a typical ruck contest of two 200cm + 110kgs wresteling with each other it doesn't surprise me that over the course of a season that hitouts appear so statistically undecisive.

I like our current style of ruck where we are a little weak at hitout by strong around the ground.
Hit outs in general are overrated. The only hit outs that matter are hit outs to advantage.

4 types of hit outs

1 Hit out to advantage
2 Hit out to a contest
3 Hit out to a loss
4 Hit out to open space

Number 2 and 3 which is probably 65%+ of all hit outs are useless and number 4 could be good or bad as well.

Why would we want to inherit Collingwood's list management inability? Grundy would instantly become one of our highest paid players and I doubt you'd get your moneys worth. He has been a gun but is that really going to be the case in 5 years time? I'd be very shocked if our interest was real and not just media driven.

Stanley is having his best season by far and is moving really well. Not showing signs of slowing down. Ceglar showed his ability in his one outing and given a full preseason, he might surprise a few.

When it is all said and done, if we have that cap space then get the best young mid in the land. That's where we'd benefit most.
The idea is that we're not the ones overpaying Grundy with the Pies taking a substantial portion of the dollars.

I don't see it

Hit outs in general are overrated. The only hit outs that matter are hit outs to advantage.

4 types of hit outs

1 Hit out to advantage
2 Hit out to a contest
3 Hit out to a loss
4 Hit out to open space

Number 2 and 3 which is probably 65%+ of all hit outs are useless and number 4 could be good or bad as well.

There are a few more than that

Hits outs to disadvantage

then there are the four you named and my one recorded by the other side.

That is without looking at things like clearance wins, losses, repeat stoppage rates. The quality of those wins and loses etc

They'd be a lot of variation on a game by game basis but when comparing players bodies of work over the year as a whole it starts to blend in together

I would like to apply for the eventual Port Adelaide job because I don’t think I could be much worse.

thanks,
Sky

For next year I think we need to ask where is the weakness in our list.

KPD, a small defender who can rebound and lockdown, Ruck, Inside midfield?

A Grundy recruitment would cause a reshuffling. What happens to Stanley, 2nd ruck or out of the best 22. If he is the 2nd ruck then what happens to Rohan.
If Stanley becomes the 2nd ruck then does Blicavs go back to the D50 as KPD, which pushes Kolodjashnij back to being a midsized defender. No space their for another recruit. With this list balance are we back to control football?

On the question of whether we brining in a new Inside Mid. Was Atkins form a brief purple patch or is he going to be a first choice midfielder for us for the next few years. Could Parfitt be our Selwood replacement. If both stay there then we don't have the space for another inside mid.

Grundy will not be at Geelong next year. Don't believe the garbage being kicked around in the media. We're well placed with Stanley and Ceglar on our list again next year, and Conway continuing to develop. Conway will play senior football next year and if one of Stanley or Ceglar retire after next year then Conway slides straight in. On this years form, Stanley has possibly 2 years left anyway - and deserves it.

The media hacks are just making stuff up. Look at it purely from a list management perspective. Only 40 spots on the list and in 2023 we have Stanley Ceglar and Conway contracted + possibly Sav as well if he's not sent to GWS as part of a Hopper or Bruhn trade. That's 4 rucks on our list + people think we'll then go and bring a 5th in and pay him more than all the others?

Not happening.

Hopper is target #1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy will not be at Geelong next year. Don't believe the garbage being kicked around in the media. We're well placed with Stanley and Ceglar on our list again next year, and Conway continuing to develop. Conway will play senior football next year and if one of Stanley or Ceglar retire after next year then Conway slides straight in. On this years form, Stanley has possibly 2 years left anyway - and deserves it.

The media hacks are just making stuff up. Look at it purely from a list management perspective. Only 40 spots on the list and in 2023 we have Stanley Ceglar and Conway contracted + possibly Sav as well if he's not sent to GWS as part of a Hopper or Bruhn trade. That's 4 rucks on our list + people think we'll then go and bring a 5th in and pay him more than all the others?

Not happening.

Hopper is target #1

Grundy has met with Geelong. It's not a media beat up.

Not happening.

Hopper is target #1
We are Not well placed at all TBH.
Stanley at 31 has hit a purple patch that has shrouded his rollercoaster ride during tenure in Cat Land over the past decade.
Hopeless for a week then average for a week and then great for half a game. Short memories some people??
As for Ceglar. He is an insurance policy. That's it. He's a back up ruckman that hasn't shown anything that would demand the tag of a No. 1 ruck.
Young boy Conway is miles off it. He needs another 2 preseasons at least to get some aerobic capacity into his game. We'll see him blossom when he hits 22-23 but it wont be next year.
Sav is GONE. passport has been stamped.
So this why the hierarchy at Cat Land have more than just kicked the tyres on this one.
Players of the ilk of Grundy don't fall into your lap very often.
Can't wait to see how this all pans out.
Cheers

I mean it'd be rude to turn down a coffee but I'd be gobsmacked if he came
Any manager doing due diligence on behalf of the player is duty bound to make calls to clubs - particularly when his player has bene told to look around. Geelong (like any club is duty bound) to have the meeting.

That's miles away from Geelong expressing interest and going for broke to get Grundy in the door. That's assuming there is any substance to Grundy / or Grundy's management even having talked to Geelong. Just can't see Geelong parting with that much money for a bloke who may not even be the preferred ruck, or get on the ground due to serious injury concerns.

More chance of DeGoey coming to Geelong than Grundy - and I don't think either will happen.

Stanley at 31 has hit a purple patch that has shrouded his rollercoaster ride during tenure in Cat Land over the past decade.
Hopeless for a week then average for a week and then great for half a game. Short memories some people??
As for Ceglar. He is an insurance policy. That's it. He's a back up ruckman that hasn't shown anything that would demand the tag of a No. 1 ruck.
Young boy Conway is miles off it. He needs another 2 preseasons at least to get some aerobic capacity into his game. We'll see him blossom when he hits 22-23 but it wont be next year.
So this why the hierarchy at Cat Land have more than just kicked the tyres on this one.
Cheers
I don't get the "players of the ilk of Grundy' rhetoric. Go back and look at the blokes last few years and he's not a shadow of what he was. He's missed big chunks of footy due to injury - red flag. And when he has played he's been average to ok. Not the superstar he might have once been, and nowhere near what some on this forum make him out to be.

Think about the way the game is played now compared to 3-4-5 years ago. It's chalk and cheese and if (and I get it's an if) Stanley produces 2 years of footy close to what we've seen this year then we don't need to spend $650k -$700k a year of our cap on Grundy.

Geelong are #1 in defence and attack - first time that's happened since 2011. And we've done what we've done without a dominant ruckman. Grundy is not our list management priority.

but, it needs to make sense from a $ perspective. Grundy at $650k per annum net to us is ok (just), but the 5 years left on his deal scares the bejeezus out of me. I think I would pass.
In theory Stanley appears to be a good second ruckman but I don't think he has ever played that role well.
Whilst he isn't the greatest 1st ruckman, he plays his best footy as the main man. I think it's confidence and continuity (maybe).
In his later years maybe he has matured enough to inject himself into a game as the second ruck but I'd guess if Grundy came, that would be the end of Stanley.

I don't get the "players of the ilk of Grundy' rhetoric. Go back and look at the blokes last few years and he's not a shadow of what he was. He's missed big chunks of footy due to injury - red flag. And when he has played he's been average to ok. Not the superstar he might have once been, and nowhere near what some on this forum make him out to be.

Think about the way the game is played now compared to 3-4-5 years ago. It's chalk and cheese and if (and I get it's an if) Stanley produces 2 years of footy close to what we've seen this year then we don't need to spend $650k -$700k a year of our cap on Grundy.

Geelong are #1 in defence and attack - first time that's happened since 2011. And we've done what we've done without a dominant ruckman. Grundy is not our list management priority.
The worry with Stanley is that he isn't aggressive and he can just go through patches of being dominated by the other ruck. Grundy is almost the antithesis.
Whilst Grundys form is great, Id have more confidence in him not letting us down.
All respect to Stanley's form, I hope he can hold out but I'm certainly anxious about him.

The worry with Stanley is that he isn't aggressive and he can just go through patches of being dominated by the other ruck. Grundy is almost the antithesis.
Whilst Grundys form is great, Id have more confidence in him not letting us down.
All respect to Stanley's form, I hope he can hold out but I'm certainly anxious about him.
Isn't great*

Because they are 2nd on the ladder without an injured/massively overpaid Grundy (also with 5 years on that bogus contract).

Putting the bulk of the $$$ to upgrade a spot on their list that is needed or to keep players they prefer would be their thinking.

Grundy has proven to not be required.

Cheers
Stanley's average work seems to always come during stints when he's shouldering a heap of the ruck load. I think his body is just prone to coming apart. I think it can be managed.

You need a ruck but you don't want to over invest

The Pies were crazy to offer Grundy such a long contract in the first place - Grundy is not Buddy - and Geelong would be well advised to think twice about taking on what remains of it. The law of entropy says things break down over time. It's hard to know when Conway will be AFL-ready, but It's not fanciful to think he could blooded next year.

Meanwhile Hopper or another good mid-fielder is patently our most pressing need.

Bruhn is a hard one. but I've just watched the Classic Cast of 94 Dogs/Cats final with Libber and Billy saying they never thought Brad Johnson (playing game 8) and various others would achieve what they eventually did achieve. The lesson is: you can't dismiss players too early. I write this as one who has made this mistake several times eg. when I first saw Barry Stoneham play I said to a mate he'll never make it!

I reckon we’ve got the most perfect second ruck the game has seen…and it ain’t Stanley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back