Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because it is completely the opposite to our philosophy where we give up draft capital to manage the salary cap.

I'm sure Hawkins doesn't mind taking a cut to bring Jeremy Cameron in, bringing Bowes in on twice what the Hawk is earning FFS, leave that to the loser clubs.
That's if we keep him on the exact contract he's on at GC

If we did look at bringing Bowes to the club & take on his contract, then it's very likely that the terms of his deal would be renegotiated. So rather than 2 x $650k, maybe it becomes 4 x $400k/$450k

That balances better within our pay structure, while still clearing his salary from the books of GC

Who could we trade to Norf for their compo picks, a second and third round pick in next year's draft?

The Big Sav? Narkle? Both?
I think we would trade both…but suspect north have bigger targets (one from the west?) to use those picks on?

That's if we keep him on the exact contract he's on at GC

If we did look at bringing Bowes to the club & take on his contract, then it's very likely that the terms of his deal would be renegotiated. So rather than 2 x $650k, maybe it becomes 4 x $400k/$450k

That balances better within our pay structure, while still clearing his salary from the books of GC
I agree that List Management would be looking at this for sure. Not sure whether they will ultimately do it (ie. is it worth it depending on other options) but we are a club who is in a great position to look at this type of thing. In particular if it is a way of boosting draft picks (which we lack as we are so good! 😯)

I wonder what the exact deal would be... something from next year id bet...if they have kids coming thru from their academy
Cal T ..say his next two years are a big contract.

SUNS' EARLY PICK UP FOR GRABS

GOLD Coast is set to dangle pick No.7 as the draft sweetener for clubs vying to take on Jack Bowesand the two remaining years on his contract.

Bowes is signed through to the end of 2024 on a heavily back-ended deal, with the former top-10 pick and Suns Academy product open to a move to a new club.

The Suns are also embarking on a proactive reset of their salary cap position and will use their strong draft hand to entice rivals to take on players.

It means clubs such as Hawthorn, St Kilda, Geelong and Essendon, who have all shown interest in Bowes, would also be in line to land the extra draft capital as part of the deal to take the versatile Sun's contract off their books.

Future 1st and something for bowes and 7? But still i dont believe it why wouldnt they just send one of their many r2s with him? He must be on huge money if a top 10 pick is the sweetener. He has the control to pick what club he wants to go to obviously?

Tanner Bruhn confirmed (free access past the paywall with partner's uni account)!

"GWS midfielder Tanner Bruhn will request a trade to Geelong in the upcoming trade period as the Cats look set to sign the promising 20-year-old to fill the shoes of its veteran midfielders.
It’s believed Bruhn has spoken with Hawthorn and North Melbourne but wants to sign a three-year deal to join the Cats after impressing in his 30 games as a midfielder/forward at GWS.

The signature of Bruhn is set to fill the void that will be left behind by legendary midfielder Joel Selwood, 34, once he retires."
Good pick up (I hear he is a good kid to so fits the ethos) but a bit of a stretch saying that he will fill the Selwood void! Poetic license by the author…. 😯

Because it is completely the opposite to our philosophy where we give up draft capital to manage the salary cap.

I'm sure Hawkins doesn't mind taking a cut to bring Jeremy Cameron in, bringing Bowes in on twice what the Hawk is earning FFS, leave that to the loser clubs.

You restructure his contract and smooth the money out over extra years.

It appears they think it has worked for Collingwood...now others are following it. The 650 for Bowes in the first place ... is so inflated what would he be at geelong 400?

It isn't like for like, we'd never be playing such an inflated wage on potential, he was a top 10 pick. We tend to dump them if they get overly greedy. eg Lang.

Let's look at the Treloar Trade

Treloar

For
Future R2 tied to WB (became pick 38)
Pick 14

From A DVI perspective the picks were essentially neutral

Salary cap

lets assume that Treloar had five years remaining on his contract on a 900k PA

Collingwood pays 300k PA, has a new list spot they need to fill, base wage is 100k PA, freed up space 500k

Western bulldogs pays 600k PA, has one less list spot they need to fill, space taken up is 500k

imagine if instead of that being DVI neutral Collingwood also sent pick 7

Again this is freeing up 500k for 5 years, the Gold Coast one is for 550k saved for 2 and they're allegedly willing to pay pick 7 to make it happen.

They did this last year with Will Brodie, lost DVI, while Freemantle got pick up grades and a longer term early pick, big bodied inside mid. All because they couldn't pick their targets right on recruitment

The worry to me about taking on Bowes' salary if he's on a lot is that if it tightens our salary cap over the next two years it might limit our ability to be make aggressive trade moves at the end of next season. And next season is going to be huge for us trade-wise, methinks, as we will be desperate to bring in a quality mid in the prime age bracket.

Of course, the counter to that argument will be that we have a lot of impending retirements. So maybe the club thinks that exodus will mean we can take on Bowes' contract and chase a big midfield name next year. :think:

The contract of Bowes is said to be heavily backended to help GC. Therefore he took a cut for several years and he is now entitled to the $650,000. Our players will see that and he won’t get that same annual amount for years 3 or 4 depending on the length of his Geelong contract, or it will be spread.
If we got pick 7, it would be a good trade, and our players would also see that.

The worry to me about taking on Bowes' salary if he's on a lot is that if it tightens our salary cap over the next two years it might limit our ability to be make aggressive trade moves at the end of next season. And next season is going to be huge for us trade-wise, methinks, as we will be desperate to bring in a quality mid in the prime age bracket.

Of course, the counter to that argument will be that we have a lot of impending retirements. So maybe the club thinks that exodus will mean we can take on Bowes' contract and chase a big midfield name next year. :think:
It's a big IF but IF you got Bowes to come here, he would be coming knowing that his contract will get restructured.
The gain for him would be a longer contract.
If pick 7 is up for grabs then a club like Geelong who never get top 10 picks should absolutely jump at it.

On one hand, pick 7 is extremely tempting - would that put Jhye Clark in reach?

On the other, I'd be VERY wary of making exceptions for our payment structure. You make one exception, people start thinking "well, he's not getting paid by the rules... why should I?" and then you've got a much bigger problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow wouldn't it be hilarious if by virtue of landing Bowes, we somehow got Pick 7, so we landed Jhye Clark to complete our Falcons midfield :tearsofjoy:

End up with:

Clark
Bowes
McKenna
O. Henry
Bruhn
Clohesy
O. Riccardi

Not a snowballs chance in hell, but a man can dream...

P.S. Bowes is an Indigenous player...so that might rule out Hawthorn given current events...

Just saw this on the Hawks board, and it's delicious lmao:

"I will say, if Geelong win the flag and acquire Bruhn, Henry, Bowes and pick 7 I'll probably avoid all AFL related news until round 1 next season.

That will destroy my interest for quite a while"

"I will say, if Geelong win the flag and acquire Bruhn, Henry, Bowes and pick 7 I'll probably avoid all AFL related news until round 1 next season.

A man can dream indeed

Wouldn't be a fun offseason for our Hawkie friends. :devil:

Was thinking:

2022 1st to GC for Bowes + pick 7
Pick 7 to Pies for Henry and their 2022 1st
Pies 2022 1st to GWS for Bruhn

Essentially get everything done for one 1st rounder. Would be an absolute steal if we could pull it off.

Might be wishful thinking.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Was thinking:

Essentially get everything done for one 1st rounder. Would be an absolute steal if we could pull it off.

That is paying overs… IMO
No need to offload our 1st round pick.
Plenty of ways to skin a cat so to speak.

The Richmond melts would be even more hilarious. They are like Hawthorn but the version you get from wish.com.

You’d think the internal issues at their club might do that anyway.
If we win the flag obviously anything that comes after is nice but the above would be delicious.

The Richmond melts would be even more hilarious. They are like Hawthorn but the version you get from wish.com.

Was thinking more Aldi, lmao. They were entertaining and a flash in the pan for a bit, but now they've faded into obscurity again while the two long term clubs in Hawthorn (Woolworths) and Geelong (Coles) just keep remaining relevant over the last 3 decades

Was thinking more Aldi, lmao. They were entertaining and a flash in the pan for a bit, but now they've faded into obscurity again while the two long term clubs in Hawthorn (Woolworths) and Geelong (Coles) just keep remaining relevant over the last 3 decades
That's an even better analogy! :laughing:

Lol. Bruhn, Henry and Bowes aren't exactly proven guns. What about that group of players is so triggering? :drunk:

If we had succeeded in our pursuits of Hopper, De Goey and Grundy, then sure, I could understand the annoyance from other club's fans, but that's not the situation here.

Was thinking:

I had a similar thought except trade our 2022 1st to gws for bruhn and keep pies one.
Would essentially be future 1st for bowes henry bruhn and swapping p18 for p16. I struggle to believe gc would sell bowes that cheap though we might need to chuck in a later pick somewhere to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back