Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morris also told SEN Breakfast that Geelong is the favourite to land Western Bulldog Bailey Smith in this year’s trade period.

Morris also told SEN Breakfast that Geelong is the favourite to land Western Bulldog Bailey Smith in this year’s trade period.
A few months ago they were all declaring he'd go to the Pies because he has good mates there. So, I'll believe it when I see it.

The Cats are mad if they let Stengle leave for the sake of an extra $50-100,000 a year. Sometimes, this policy of 'not paying players overs' just doesn't make sense. This is not the time to be stingy when Tassie is about to come into the competition and dominate the trade/draft periods for a few years. Haven't they learned anything from the past? I firmly believe that the Cats need to stump up the cash in the next few years if they want to keep this side in a Premiership window.
There is the key.
IMO Our Window isn't even ajar ATM.
We have a crop of youngsters that will need another 2 maybe 3 years to get that 50 plus games into them.

It's a competition wide trend, Right now 6/18 clubs have a higher average age then our too old too slow 2011 premiership winning team. Which was the oldest team ever fielded at the time.

A few rules changes here, improvements in sports science and more integration of stats into the list building decision making process, reductions of list sizes. There is still a non zero amount short value to be eked out of the vets. With hindsight we probably could have grab an extra year from many of those vets we dumped 2013-2018. But the value we get from them seems to be declining on almost a weekly basis.
In nearly every other sport where performance started lasting longer into careers (ie. players were playing better for longer), PED’s were prominently involved.

“Sport science improvements”. Ha ha

Just sayin’

I don’t understand the desire to put Duncan out to pasture.

He has been a sound performer this year, probably one of our most consistent players.

The reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just some clarity.
Tyson Stengle being an unrestricted free agent.
What... if any compensation.
Does it come under the net gain/loss free agency period compensation formula??

Where is the pick coming from?
Just some clarity.
Tyson Stengle being an unrestricted free agent.
What... if any compensation.
Does it come under the net gain/loss free agency period compensation formula??
Compensation.

Band 1 will be the pick directly after our first round pick. Band 2 will be the start of the second round.

If we finish top 4 the difference is negligible between the two. Finish 6-12th and the difference is a bit more stark.

Let me preface this by saying Stengle is one of my favourite players

But does anyone think his output could diminish once he's on a long term, highly paid deal?
At the moment he's climbing the ranks like a hungry fighter, once he gets his pay day will he be comfortable with his lot..? Wouldn't be the first player to do so..
On what basis would you think this to be the case?

Be careful, because your post above could easily be interpreted as casual racism.

Compensation.

Band 1 will be the pick directly after our first round pick. Band 2 will be the start of the second round.

If we finish top 4 the difference is negligible between the two. Finish 6-12th and the difference is a bit more stark.
Delisted free agents attract compensation picks?

That would be news to me.

$700k for a small forward with previous off field issues is a good deal in my opinion, anymore and you get that feeling in the back of your mind “what if he does this, what if he loses interest”
He is our best player.

He should be paid accordingly.

He has clearly put his off field issues behind him. He is a known quantity to Geelong, he doesn’t pose any greater off risk than any other player.

Pay that man

He is our best player.

He should be paid accordingly.

He has clearly put his off field issues behind him. He is a known quantity to Geelong, he doesn’t pose any greater off risk than any other player.

Pay that man

I think you could make the argument that Guthrie & Holmes have been our best & most consistent players this year

There's no doubt that Stengle's 2024 season is good, but his 2023 season wasn't great - so I can understand if there's reservations about overpaying him based purely on this year's form, and instead wanting to find balance between his salary & incentives on top of that

$700k for a small forward with previous off field issues is a good deal in my opinion, anymore and you get that feeling in the back of your mind “what if he does this, what if he loses interest”

I've been discussing this at work with a colleague and we both agreed that $700-750k is what he's worth. If it's true, then that is a fair deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back