Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS matches knowing that it wouldn’t hold up but hoped that it would drive the contract up here , obviously it didn’t but it was a blatant bad faith move that was never going to honoured.. and I’m not too shocked that the AFL signed off on it seeing that GWS is the AFL love child

Matching a contract for an RFA is such a a BS move. What player would want to stay at a club who goes "here's the contract for $750K/yr"...then suddenly jump up to $900K only when another club comes along offering the same? It's basically their original club saying "we're only going to pay what you're worth if another club comes knocking". Feels like the bridge has been burnt at that point. But then again, matching is just a way for the club losing the player to try and get a better deal, it's not really about the player at all.

EDIT: typo

I think the reason we drafted Edward’s was we’re worried about Conways body
I think we drafted another ruckman as we really only had Stanley who had a year left, a young 20yo Conway and a Furhy.
The cupboard needed to be restocked.
Smart player management.

If someone offers tdk well over 1mil and carl match it (which they might) it will push out another very good b22 player. They are already carrying a number of very expensive contracts in curnow, mckay, cripps, walsh, cerra and weitering will get another huge one to stay. Theres only so many of those you can carry. They will probably prioritise tdk but they will lose someone elsewhere.
My question around this is more are all free agency matched bids legitimate?? Or is it purely to force a trade. Does the AFL closely monitor if the club can actually afford the bid matching?? Or does it turn a blind eye.

I still wonder to this day if GWS could actually afford the Cameron match or if it was a dodgy to pull currency from us

My question around this is more are all free agency matched bids legitimate?? Or is it purely to force a trade. Does the AFL closely monitor if the club can actually afford the bid matching?? Or does it turn a blind eye.

I still wonder to this day if GWS could actually afford the Cameron match or if it was a dodgy to pull currency from us

You have to legit have the cap space to match but thats easy bc say on a 4 or 5 year deal you just backload the money to the 3rd-5th year (as most clubs dont have many players contracted that far ahead). So in theory most clubs can match if they want to. This is probably what gws would have done had cameron stayed.

Yes but the nature of matching means they can stack the whole of the contract in the last year.

We learned that matching was meaningless in the Cameron trade

Thats correct im just saying carlton will have more cap pressure than most as they have a few elite guys on big long term deals.

You have to legit have the cap space to match but thats easy bc say on a 4 or 5 year deal you just backload the money to the 3rd-5th year (as most clubs dont have many players contracted that far ahead). So in theory most clubs can match if they want to. This is probably what gws would have done had cameron stayed.
so in theory you could give player x 50% of your salary cap in year 5 with only 2 other players contracted on the books that year and it’s within the afl matching rules.

If SDK continues his progress in the ruck we don’t need a mature ruck.

I would much rather have SDK in the ruck and a replacement level tall defender, than have a replacement level mature ruck and SDK in the backline.

The upside of SDK running around the field like a wild horse is very high.
I agree to a certain extent, but he's only 3 games in so we'll have to wait and see. He also had an exceptional season as a KPD as a 21yo, so I'm not discounting the possibility that he goes back there and dominates again at some point. I'd probably take a mature 27yo ruck from the state league, even if it is with a rookie pick, just for insurance.

so in theory you could give player x 50% of your salary cap in year 5 with only 2 other players contracted on the books that year and it’s within the afl matching rules.

One thing I’m not sure of in regards to matching is what the rules around payments are.

If a club offers 1million x 5 years… I’d find it wierd if a club matching could say “yeah we will match that contract but you’ll be getting 100k the next 4 years and then 4.6mill in year 5”.

Not sure exactly what the rules are with that stuff.

It would be interesting to learn what actually happened with the Jez situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I’m not sure of in regards to matching is what the rules around payments are.

If a club offers 1million x 5 years… I’d find it wierd if a club matching could say “yeah we will match that contract but you’ll be getting 100k the next 4 years and then 4.6mill in year 5”.

I imagine the AFL would refuse to make it public… and I wouldn’t be shocked if there was some dodgy matching

execpt the player manager wouldnt accept that, why would any player wait till year 5 to get paid? smart manager would do what brad hill do , get front loaded for the 4.6 and bail when hes due for the 100k last years.

danger wouldve been
Yes would have been… but wasn’t.

We knew they were going to match and just done a deal to save the hassle.

I also understand GWS matching.

We were holding 3x first rounders and we were always going to end up giving them more in a trade than the compo pick.

Rumour has it Wells wanted to walk from that deal though.

I’d love to get the low-down on all the ins and outs of it.

It would be super interesting.

Let's not write off Conway's body at this stage

Max Gawn had an injury riddled start too. Conway has played more games than him at the same age

You can afford to be patient too, as those big rucks can play till they are 34-35. You get those development years back on the back end. Long way to go on Conway.

He may have to be patient but he has a lot of time.

We don’t forget but we have also seen to trust Kolo and Henry and let’s be honest
There isn’t many key forwards out there that require a SDK size backman and if there is
They’re pretty easy to defend, king brothers

We don’t forget but we have also seen to trust Kolo and Henry and let’s be honest
There isn’t many key forwards out there that require a SDK size backman and if there is
They’re pretty easy to defend, king brothers
I reckon well be all over Peter Ladhams to be honest, from all reports we were massively keen the year he went to Sydney and hes the mobile type we like and only 26.

That I wasn’t aware of

Offer 1.5 over 3 years then 2 year extension of 250,000

Carlton don’t have that money
Neil Degrasse Tyson Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back