Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Podsiadly won our goal kicking award in a Premiership year and was top 3 every other year with us, that qualifies him as higher than a role player.

Role players are usually limited to one specific task. Podsiadly at times was up the field at CHF and as a deep forward.

Around that time a Taylor Hunt or Trent West were role players.
His role was to play as a forward. Do things forwards do.

At no stage did I ever think “games on the line here, we really need Pods to stand up so we can get over line” or “we should move pods into the midfield/defence to give us a lift”.

He played his role as a forward very well. It isn’t an insult

23, has pace, this year in limited game time is averaging 17 disposals, 5 goals/5 behinds/4 goal assists from 8 matches, one of which he was subbed off. If he comes for steak knives in the Smith deal I wouldn't complain.
Thing that stuck with me is even he played us at least it felt like his kicks were really damaging. Whenever he got it we were scrambling

How many small forwards are on 5 x 700k, hardly bleeding heart stuff lol
Charlie Cameron signed a long term deal in 2020 for $750k+ per annum.

The salary cap in 2020 was about $13m.

The salary cap in 2025 will be almost $18m, Stengle has signed for $700k.

He is a bargain and is underpaid.

What is Bobby Hill on? Or be on his next contract, better comparison

Hill's current deal is reported to be around $450k per season for the 4 years

It's his next contract he'd be looking at a pay boost

Super stoked we signed Tyson and it’s definitely a great deal for us and can we stop acting like he’s severely underpaid or he’s the only player to sign for unders? I’d say 90% of players who sign an extension sign for less. It’s just what happens

Errol Gulden signed recently for 4 years when he got offered 10 years from Adelaide. Happens all the time

Which part of the offer is unders?

The 5 years or the roughly $700k per season bit?

The reported offer from St Kilda is $750k per season - so it seems the teams most interested in Tyson, were within the same ballpark figure for the yearly salary, suggesting that $700k is around his worth, especially when re-signing

There's no indication any team was genuinely looking at offers of $800k+ per season, which would give a indication that moving into that bracket would have been considered overs

Can you imagine Tyson thriving under Lyon?

Can you imagine Tyson thriving under Lyon?

Exactly, there's this headline based on a discussion from last night where David King poses the question of "Ross Lyon looking at life without Max King"

If anything, I'd be rephrasing that to, "Should Max King be looking to life without Ross Lyon" - I don't think Lyons game style really is one that's designed to help forwards flourish

Exactly, there's this headline based on a discussion from last night where David King poses the question of "Ross Lyon looking at life without Max King"

If anything, I'd be rephrasing that to, "Should Max King be looking to life without Ross Lyon" - I don't think Lyons game style really is one that's designed to help forwards flourish

You would think we would be in his ear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me get my crystal ball out and predict Bobby hill’s next contract….

How the hell would I know what he will sign for?

Charlie Cameron in 2020 was the best comparison to Stengle anyway. At that stage Cameron had 1 x AA selection, with a best season of 57 goals. Average goals per game at that stage was 1.52. Averaging ~12.5 possessions per game. Aged 26 at the time of contract

Stengle currently has 1x AA (another one coming this year), best season of 53 goals, career average of 1.68 goals per game. Career average of 12.5 possessions per game. Age 25

Looking at career to date it is even (though Stengle kicks more goals per game). Given Stengles interrupted start to his career it is impressive that his career to date is essentially on par with the same stage of Cameron’s career.

Stengle is a much better player than Bobby hill. Don’t be swayed by the Collingwood hype

Max - come on down. I'd usually feel guilty from feasting on the carcass of pour teams but whilst Stkilda have Ross Lyon they have zero sympathy from me.
The worse they fail the more likely that Ross Lyon footy doesn't return. Taking him away from them would be a kindness to them.

Super stoked we signed Tyson and it’s definitely a great deal for us and can we stop acting like he’s severely underpaid or he’s the only player to sign for unders? I’d say 90% of players who sign an extension sign for less. It’s just what happens

Errol Gulden signed recently for 4 years when he got offered 10 years from Adelaide. Happens all the time
If 90% of players sign for unders then it isn’t unders. That is market.

Players are signing 6,7,8 year deals on big $ all the time. Players that aren’t as good as Stengle.

The expectation that players will sign extensions for unders is dated. It doesn’t happen nearly as often any more and it will become less prevalent as the league and player market matures further. The players know far better what they are worth now and are more willing to demand that they get it. Good on them.

I classify role players as those of limited ability who are given a specific task to achieve. Stokes podsiadly and lonergan certainly dont fit the bill.
Lonergan was the perfect definition of a role player. He was never a star, never in the best 10 players in the team, never a high profile player who won you the game. But if you asked him to do something specific (ie. nullify the oppositions best gorilla forward) he would nearly always do the job. A great role player.

Stokes and pods also fit the definition

If 90% of players sign for unders then it isn’t unders. That is market.

Players are signing 6,7,8 year deals on big $ all the time. Players that aren’t as good as Stengle.

The expectation that players will sign extensions for unders is dated. It doesn’t happen nearly as often any more and it will become less prevalent as the league and player market matures further. The players know far better what they are worth now and are more willing to demand that they get it. Good on them.

If 90% of players signed for under what they were offered somewhere else it is still unders. I don’t really understand what point you’re trying to make there.

At the end of the day Tyson could’ve got more somewhere else, just like probably a lot of players on our list and countless other players in the league.
Again, I’m very happy he signed but I’m not gonna sit here and say wow what an unprecedented amazing gesture from him, because it’s what heaps of players do. I think everyone in the cats camp including him are very happy

Spot on, just because you play a role at VFL level does not mean you automatically play that role at Senior level.
When talking about Knevitt, Scotty and co said they wanted to see him play a specific role this year.
This is true, but given we've been getting pounded in the midfield in the AFL, I'm surprised they haven't at least tried it. He may well not have the attributes to be an AFL midfielder, but we won't know until we try it, all we know for now is that we are weak in that area.

Let me get my crystal ball out and predict Bobby hill’s next contract….

How the hell would I know what he will sign for?

Charlie Cameron in 2020 was the best comparison to Stengle anyway. At that stage Cameron had 1 x AA selection, with a best season of 57 goals. Average goals per game at that stage was 1.52. Averaging ~12.5 possessions per game. Aged 26 at the time of contract

Stengle currently has 1x AA (another one coming this year), best season of 53 goals, career average of 1.68 goals per game. Career average of 12.5 possessions per game. Age 25

Looking at career to date it is even (though Stengle kicks more goals per game). Given Stengles interrupted start to his career it is impressive that his career to date is essentially on par with the same stage of Cameron’s career.

Stengle is a much better player than Bobby hill. Don’t be swayed by the Collingwood hype

I agree with you on a lot of what you say re. Stengle. But without being too much of a stickler this Stengle's interrupted start has probably helped him as much as hindered him in your comparisons. Cameron has a bunch of less productive games as a 19, 20, 21yo which drag down his averages. Stengle didn't play much until he came to us as a 23yo when he was entering his prime. If he turns out to be as good as Cameron has the past 5 years, we would have done very, very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back