Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon well be all over Peter Ladhams to be honest, from all reports we were massively keen the year he went to Sydney and hes the mobile type we like and only 26.
We do need a mature age ruckman. We are not sure if Conway body can hold up. If we get him for a pick in the 50s I'll be fine, but I'm not sure if Sydney will let him go as his contracted..
Plus we can't really day SDK is going to be our no 1 ruckman yet

so in theory you could give player x 50% of your salary cap in year 5 with only 2 other players contracted on the books that year and it’s within the afl matching rules.

Yes thats correct.

That I wasn’t aware of

Offer 1.5 over 3 years then 2 year extension of 250,000

Carlton don’t have that money

Yeah but if they match they only have to match the total $ not the exact loading.
Eg if we offer 2026 onwards
Eg 5.3 over 5

They can match with
700 (if thats all they have in 2026 cap)
1mil
1mil
1.2mil
5.3 over 5

So they will be able to match
But those $will probably make them lose other players if not in 25 in 26 or 27.

I reckon well be all over Peter Ladhams to be honest, from all reports we were massively keen the year he went to Sydney and hes the mobile type we like and only 26.

He is more the type we like than a lumberer but his professionalism reportedly isnt great so im not sure.
But he will move this year and will be cheap ie a 50s pick probably gets him.

He is more the type we like than a lumberer but his professionalism reportedly isnt great so im not sure.
But he will move this year and will be cheap ie a 50s pick probably gets him.
He's contracted for next season and Sydney's ruck stocks are threadbare after Grundy not so sure he's on the move or cheap.

Yeah but if they match they only have to match the total $ not the exact loading.
Eg if we offer 2026 onwards
Eg 5.3 over 5

They can match with
700 (if thats all they have in 2026 cap)
1mil
1mil
1.2mil
5.3 over 5

So they will be able to match
But those $will probably make them lose other players if not in 25 in 26 or 27.
I meant do it the dodgy way and offer over 3 and then extend
Just like the lions did with Daniher

If someone offers tdk well over 1mil and carl match it (which they might) it will push out another very good b22 player. They are already carrying a number of very expensive contracts in curnow, mckay, cripps, walsh, cerra and weitering will get another huge one to stay. Theres only so many of those you can carry. They will probably prioritise tdk but they will lose someone elsewhere.
Yes it really is this year and next for Carlton premiership!

Thing that stood out on the weekend in the VFL is that with Mannagh, Dempsey and Neale playing seniors (and doing well) the cupboard is bare for forwards - not just KPF but anyone who looks dangerous around goals. Real pity Wiltshire has been injured as his games came when the side wasn't playing as well and was struggling to get the ball inside 50...I think we'd have a much better sense of his game if he'd played in the last month or so.

GWS matches knowing that it wouldn’t hold up but hoped that it would drive the contract up here , obviously it didn’t but it was a blatant bad faith move that was never going to honoured.. and I’m not too shocked that the AFL signed off on it seeing that GWS is the AFL love child

I suppose if it was the other way (eg the contract has to be matched exactly), clubs with a heap of cap could blow others out of the water by massively front loading.

Thing that stood out on the weekend in the VFL is that with Mannagh, Dempsey and Neale playing seniors (and doing well) the cupboard is bare for forwards - not just KPF but anyone who looks dangerous around goals. Real pity Wiltshire has been injured as his games came when the side wasn't playing as well and was struggling to get the ball inside 50...I think we'd have a much better sense of his game if he'd played in the last month or so.

I saw enough of Wiltshire to convince me he has what it takes. Seems a match winner type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hoping COS takes some strides next year. I really wanted Caddy in the draft last year and was a little disappointed at the time with our trade with essendon
He will be fine he showed some strong glimpse in his game already , just needs the size and fitness to back it up but it’ll take a few years to fill out that big frame

We aren’t good at getting first round picks who can play in the seniors almost immediately and do well. Jordan Clark and Holmes are exceptions that I can think of. Jhye Clark was injured first year and is only doing ok this year.
It feels like other clubs do better but I haven’t researched it.

We aren’t good at getting first round picks who can play in the seniors almost immediately and do well. Jordan Clark and Holmes are exceptions that I can think of. Jhye Clark was injured first year and is only doing ok this year.
It feels like other clubs do better but I haven’t researched it.
There's no difference or negligence on our part.

We just choose not to play them immediately, and don't have access to the picks who are already stars before they've played an AFL game like the top 3 for instance.

Unless you're getting a Sheezel, Daicos, or Reid (and we don't have access to those players) those first 50-100 games are a tough slog.

We choose to let the majority of them develop at VFL level, and come in when they're closer to being ready.

Plus, we've been a pretty damn good side over a long period of time.

There's less opportunities for young players, and less possessions/goals to go around when they do play.

He will be fine he showed some strong glimpse in his game already , just needs the size and fitness to back it up but it’ll take a few years to fill out that big frame
I think COS will always be behind Caddy (assuming they both stay fit). Caddy just looks a natural forward, loves the contest and the moment. At the end of the day though it depends what the club thought our greatest need was a forward or a back? Perhaps we rated both boys the same and were happy to take either one. The other thing that comes into the equation is how well Mitch Edwards develops as we also got the pick that we took him with in the trade.

I think COS will always be behind Caddy (assuming they both stay fit). Caddy just looks a natural forward, loves the contest and the moment. At the end of the day though it depends what the club thought our greatest need was a forward or a back? Perhaps we rated both boys the same and were happy to take either one. The other thing that comes into the equation is how well Mitch Edwards develops as we also got the pick that we took him with in the trade.

Caddy had a good game sure, the greatest 1.3 ever kicked lol

I still back in COS and Mannagh long term over Essendon and their development of Caddy

Last edited:
Caddy had a good game sure, the greatest 1.3 ever kicked lol

I still back in COS and Mannagh long term over Essendon ‘s development of Caddy
Key forwards are not expected to dominate first year - all you can ask for is flashes of talent. I would be wrapped if we had a first year forward showing signs like that

So many people think we got Edwards with the Dons pick swap.

We got Mannagh with that swap.

We got Edwards with the Sav trade.

So many people think we got Edwards with the Dons pick swap.

We got Mannagh with that swap.

We got Edwards with the Sav trade.

All because peeps forget how much the picks go out in the second round before coming back from the third round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back