Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Wonder what impact having King as an assistant would be having on how we approach the ruck position going forward or if he could help influence alternative looks at how we can utilise a ruck?
If this year is any indication, it seem that king’s views on rucks are just as non-conventional as Scott’s

Dark memories ... yet he did finally play in the 2002 VFL flag, from memory.
He was really good at the Eagles in his prime, no question.

I was a little surprised to hear rumour of Jake Waterman this far North, but here we are.
As with most of these things there's probably little substance to the matter; if there is a kernel of truth though it represents an interesting insight into as to where the club may see gaps in the list post this season.

Waterman would be 27 going into 2025; he's played 100 games.

We'll get to see him in action August 23rd @ GMHBA stadium - tickets onsale now! *

* tickets may not be on sale now; I dunno
Yeah given the strength of our forward line and the relatively recent rebuild we did of it I think it makes sense they look for spraypaint rebuild options. Waterman as FA next year maybe but I assume it would be cash only on the table. We have a midfield to rebuild

Just a bit of context for the Waterman scenario. Jake’s a free agent next year and if he maintains his 3 goal a game output in an awful team he’ll almost certainly get a band 1 offer next year. I think most are realistic enough to see that’s likely to mean a pick between 2 and 4.

I presume we’ll make sure his contract is enough to make him a restricted FA so we can match any offer if it’s in the club’s best interests.

Jake’s obviously a father son and the family has a history with the club since its inception. I’d be very surprised if Jake was pushing a move, it’s more likely to come from the Eagles if they decide the best way forward is to gain draft capital by refusing to raise/extend his contract significantly.

So whilst a top 10 pick (or equivalent) seems like overs, given his FA status next year and the possible compensation, WCE would factor that in when deciding if they would accept a trade this year. Obviously there is a risk of injury or that his form drops off but we have enough tall forward depth to cover him if he left.

Given the value and difficultly of finding tall forwards I’d be surprised if he left, I suspect his manager is just getting to work but if a good offer for Jake and the Eagles came in then I’m sure all parties would look at it.

In all seriousness given O'Brien was dropped this year for a genuine spud and the fact we know Chris Scott prefers mobile rucks I'd actually be pretty surprised if ROB would get a game for us. And you don't give up a pick in the 30s and a solid salary which he'd be on for a backup.

Who would get a game ahead of him? For next year our options are basically zero. He would play.

I agree i wouldnt overpay on the salary but he might be happy with average money which i would pay.

Just a bit of context for the Waterman scenario. Jake’s a free agent next year and if he maintains his 3 goal a game output in an awful team he’ll almost certainly get a band 1 offer next year. I think most are realistic enough to see that’s likely to mean a pick between 2 and 4.

I presume we’ll make sure his contract is enough to make him a restricted FA so we can match any offer if it’s in the club’s best interests.

Jake’s obviously a father son and the family has a history with the club since its inception. I’d be very surprised if Jake was pushing a move, it’s more likely to come from the Eagles if they decide the best way forward is to gain draft capital by refusing to raise/extend his contract significantly.

So whilst a top 10 pick (or equivalent) seems like overs, given his FA status next year and the possible compensation, WCE would factor that in when deciding if they would accept a trade this year. Obviously there is a risk of injury or that his form drops off but we have enough tall forward depth to cover him if he left.

Given the value and difficultly of finding tall forwards I’d be surprised if he left, I suspect his manager is just getting to work but if a good offer for Jake and the Eagles came in then I’m sure all parties would look at it.

Yeah I expect we're just putting in the offer now for next year. The money underlines his value and makes West Coast add dollars and stall negotiations until next year. I don't expect there would be an actual trade for him.

I also wouldn't guarantee band 1 on that either

When his last deal was signed it would have been average cash so he will be UFA you cant make him RFA now.

But i agree what he gets offered by a new club will probably trigger band 1 compo and for that reason i dont see you trading him this year.

Yeah I expect we're just putting in the offer now for next year. The money underlines his value and makes West Coast add dollars and stall negotiations until next year. I don't expect there would be an actual trade for him.

I also wouldn't guarantee band 1 on that either

Perhaps not from the Cats but if he goes at 3 goals a game again next year there will unequivocally be a band 1 offer from more than one club for a 3 goal a game tall forward in the modern game

When his last deal was signed it would have been average cash so he will be UFA you cant make him RFA now.

But i agree what he gets offered by a new club will probably trigger band 1 compo and for that reason i dont see you trading him this year.
We can bump up his existing 2 year contract so to ensure he’s a RFA at the end of his contract next year. According to footywire he’s already a RFA.

Perhaps not from the Cats but if he goes at 3 goals a game again next year there will unequivocally be a band 1 offer from more than one club for a 3 goal a game tall forward in the modern game
Yeah, let's hold fitlre on the presumptions until that happens though. I just wouldn't lock it in.

Either way, if he's leaving West Coast surely it's as a free agent not a trade. Would make zero sense as a trade

We can bump up his existing 2 year contract so to ensure he’s a RFA at the end of his contract next year. According to footywire he’s already a RFA.
I don't think you can actually do that. He's already contracted for next year. You'd need to extend him. Also, footywire doesn't know this far out. In fact neither does the afl. Academic though because you would lose by matching

I don't think you can actually do that. He's already contracted for next year. You'd need to extend him. Also, footywire doesn't know this far out. In fact neither does the afl. Academic though because you would lose by matching
You can renegotiate the contract and as long as the average salary of the length of that contract (2 years this year and next) is in the top 25% then he’s a RFA. We can still bump his salary this year and next if needed.

If the offer was band 2 we’d match for sure, 750k or so over 5 years would be a good result for us. If it was band 1 and Jake was happy with the offer I’d hope wed let him go.

if we even bother to put time in waterman I do a terry wallace.

nothing wrong with waterman but forwardline is not our problem, we should put time in recruiting for the midfield. even if we get bailry smith we still need more as from where we stand now, parfaitt and cam guthrie wont play more meaningful games for us from next year, dangerfield and blitzacs also a year older.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footywire is completely inaccurate with contracts always.
You cant bump the existing contract and he wouldnt agree to that bc it limits his options.
Either he is pushing for an upgraded long term (5yrs) eagles deal and will sign it this off season (the manager is posturing for this) or he will sign for another club at end 2025. Either way he wont be RFA.

Footywire is completely inaccurate with contracts always.
You cant bump the existing contract and he wouldnt agree to that bc it limits his options.
Either he is pushing for an upgraded long term (5yrs) eagles deal and will sign it this off season (the manager is posturing for this) or he will sign for another club at end 2025. Either way he wont be RFA.
Why would he not agree to a pay increase and how would it limit his options?

You can renegotiate the contract and as long as the average salary of the length of that contract (2 years this year and next) is in the top 25% then he’s a RFA. We can still bump his salary this year and next if needed.

If the offer was band 2 we’d match for sure, 750k or so over 5 years would be a good result for us. If it was band 1 and Jake was happy with the offer I’d hope wed let him go.
So Waterman is going to sign a contract for next year which pays him a couple hundred grand more for that year specifically but that contract is specifically there to undermine his bargaining power at the end of next year and make a trade harder and undermine his personal options?

Call me crazy but I doubt he's signing that contract

So Waterman is going to sign a contract for next year which pays him a couple hundred grand more for that year specifically but that contract is specifically there to undermine his bargaining power at the end of next year and make a trade harder and undermine his personal options?

Call me crazy but I doubt he's signing that contract
He’s already signed for next year guys read the post. All I’m saying is we can increase how much he is paid if needed.

He’s already signed for next year guys read the post. All I’m saying is we can increase how much he is paid if needed.
Yeah, all im saying is that won't happen for two reasons:

1) it wouldn't be in watermans interest so he won't sign it

2) it won't be in West coasts best interests so they won't offer it

Yeah, all im saying is that won't happen for two reasons:

1) it wouldn't be in watermans interest so he won't sign it

2) it won't be in West coasts best interests so they won't offer it
1/ Waterman’s ideal outcome would be for WCE to match the best offer he receives and stay in Perth as a one club player.

2/ It would absolutely be in our best interests to pay a little more to ensure he’s RFA. We are going to really struggle to hit the 95% cap floor this year and next.

1/ Waterman’s ideal outcome would be for WCE to match the best offer he receives and stay in Perth as a one club player.

2/ It would absolutely be in our best interests to pay a little more to ensure he’s RFA. We are going to really struggle to hit the 95% cap floor this year and next.
1/ if that's the case he won't sign a 1 year deal. What is your point?

2/ why throw more money at a player to make them RFA when your best outcome in him leaving is not matching to begin with? Throw the money at players who are staying

1/ if that's the case he won't sign a 1 year deal. What is your point?

2/ why throw more money at a player to make them RFA when your best outcome in him leaving is not matching to begin with? Throw the money at players who are staying
1/ why are you talking about a one year deal? He’s already signed for next year there’s nothing at all I’ve said about a one year deal.

2/ why use a small fraction of the gigantic space in our cap to ensure we can match a bid on our player? Pretty self explanatory.

1/ why are you talking about a one year deal? He’s already signed for next year there’s nothing at all I’ve said about a one year deal.

2/ why use a small fraction of the gigantic space in our cap to ensure we can match a bid on our player? Pretty self explanatory.
1/ that is literally what you were suggesting here:

2/ Matching gets you a worse deal, why invest in matching? Sign the player or don't sign the player

Zero chance of leaving. Great work by his manager.

PS. Nobody would ever pay a top 10 pick for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back