Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Gotta hand it to the guy, he sure knows how to make you second guess if this is actually a good idea every few days.

Only if true of course, but like Daz said, it's a growing list now.

We are a club without a strong midfield with an opportunity to grab Baily Smith, someone that can make a real difference. Yes their is risk. But premiership winning usually requires some risk and some luck. If it takes a 6 year deal to land him, I am still in. But there has to be some standards to meet on his part.

Apparently comments from Tom Morris to the effect of "Bailey Smith will look at any club offering 6 years".

Could be BS, could be Smith's people trying to push us for a bigger deal, could be a Hopper situation where someone comes over the top of us at the last minute.....
Yep. When i saw that name. Or his BumBuddy Ham Manure.
I just put a line through it.
Two of the biggest flogs going around.
Success hit rate on calls made.... About 12%.

Can take Mason Wood off our trade list, just signed a new 3 year extension.

I think the market has also changed a bit since we got Danger and Cameron in though. It was pretty rare for anyone to get a 6 year deal at that stage, whereas now 6 or 7 are relatively commonplace.

I know we have a much talked about 'pay structure' but we also need to be competitive in attracting talent. I think it won't be long until we sign someone on a 6 year deal, we just have to make sure that that person is high enough quality to know they're worth it. The question is, is Smith that person? I personally wouldn't have an issue with it as long as the $$$ aren't ridiculous.

My issue isn't the 6 years... It's a guy coming of an ACL, with drug issues and mental issues potentially pushing the club for a longer contract than all of our other players.

I am not against 6-year deals.

We very well could give Bailey 6 years and it turn out to be a fantastic win for us... but I just don't think the Smtih camp is reading the room if they are demanding 6 years.

If a guy is willing to go wherever purely on a deal being longer (Hopper style) it isn't a great sign that he is in love with the idea of playing for any particular club and IMO is a bit of a red flag/bad look.

I get agents doing their thang... But I just would love to see Smith back himself on a 3 to 5 year deal and not push push push clubs for the maximum.

If he was a cleanskin and not coming off an ACL... No worries... but he isn't, so I find pushing for 6 off any club a bit rich and doesn't fill me with confidence about him.

Last edited:
My issue isn't the 6 years... It's a guy coming of an ACL, with drug issues and mental issues potentially pushing the club for a longer contract than all of our other players.

We very well could give Bailey 6 years and it turn out to be a fantastic win for us... but I just don't think the Smtih camp is reading the room if they are demanding 6 years.

If a guy is willing to go wherever as long purely on a deal being longer (Hopper style) it isn't a great sign that he is in love with the idea of playing for any particular club and IMO is a bit of a red flag/bad look.

I get agents doing their thang... But I just would love to see Smith back himself on a 3 to 5 year deal and not push push push clubs for the maximum.

If he was a cleanskin and not coming off an ACL... No worries... but he isn't, so I find pushing for 6 off any club a bit rich and doesn't fill me with confidence about him.
There's a level of grace that he hasn't earned here yet, or at any club outside the Dogs for that matter.

For instance, if Max Holmes came out and said "I want a 6 year deal"...you'd still be wary, but it's a different scenario.

Max has given great service to the GFC, proven to be a quality person on and off the field, and has no history of any off-field issues, severe injuries, or mental health struggles.

There would be some haggling, but you could understand where the Holmes camp would be coming from in that scenario.

He's a Geelong person, and you can put your thumb on the scale in the case of replaying loyalty & service IMO

Smith hasn't proven any of that with the GFC. As you say (again, only if true) the demands and lack of self awareness for where he's currently at is a bit of a red flag.

There is no way we’re giving Smith 5 years, let alone 6.

Wasn’t Smith best games on the wing? Or was he an inside mid who got pushed out to wing?

It’s seems so long since he was a star player

Wasn’t Smith best games on the wing? Or was he an inside mid who got pushed out to wing?

I can easily see us signing Smith to a 5-yr deal

6 years, not so sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd do 5 for Smith but I accept I'm in the minority and a lot less risk averse on his issues than others

If a guy is willing to go wherever as long purely on a deal being longer (Hopper style) it isn't a great sign that he is in love with the idea of playing for any particular club and IMO is a bit of a red flag/bad look.

Yeah I guess all those doubts fall into the is Smith worth it category. Personally, I am still ok with it (pending $$$). But I can see the other side.

I also generally don't have much of an issue with players trying to get as much as they can out of a relatively short career. From the clubs perspective it's a balance. with 17 other clubs, there's a high chance that there will be another club offering more money, longer contract etc. We've been pretty good at using success and lifestyle as things we can offer rather than just money. But we still need to get within spitting distance of other offers.

Wood?
He's 31 and played a couple of decent seasons his career to date.
Be damming if we were actually into a player like that.

From what I was told we definitely asked the question but he made it clear he is happy. And obviously made it clearer now. Good on him for securing a solid contract as he’s a solid player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Since you insist we will take you to them

:musicnotes: Sweet dreams and flying machines...:musicnotes:

season 5 GIF

Ohhhhh.....Ummm?

Just doesn't make any sense.

We've had legends of this club win us premierships and deliver so much joy over the years.

If we're not going to break the bank or the team ethos for them....then we're not going to break it for a guy who's delivered us nothing.

I'm pro getting Smith, and I believe he'd help us immensely...but this situation is far more Hopper esque than it is Dangerfield or Cameron.

There's a very real scenario that he doesn't come here, and we look back on it as a blessing in disguise.

The opposite is also true, but it's not at a Dangerfield or Cameron premiership deciding level IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back