Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

He said he wants out and now he's committed to the MFC. Soooo... Melbourne said no then.

Alternatively, Carlton & Collingwood (the two teams he was most linked to) said no at Melbourne's asking price

What was once interesting, just got boring :(

Ahhh maybe he gave them the old "it's me or Clarry" talk.

View attachment 2097555

He was never going anywhere.

Wants coll but they dont have the assets and theres no other club that would reasonably trade what melb would want.

It was a media hype beat up.

What’s Rohan’s contract status? Surely he is done after not getting near the pill this year ? With Hawkins & Touhy retiring it’s time for a mini cull…. I’ll be starting with Rohan.

A new 2-year deal will be announced in due course

What’s Rohan’s contract status? Surely he is done after not getting near the pill this year ? With Hawkins & Touhy retiring it’s time for a mini cull…. I’ll be starting with Rohan.

Hes ooc as are most of the vets except guthrie and blicavs.

I hope we don’t use our draft picks to trade in another Ruck.

Plan A is Conway with support from Blitz, SDK, Neale

O’Sullivan should play most games next year so this frees up SDK to play ruck as a plan B.

Plan C is Furphy/Edwards

If we have ‘spare’ spots on the list then prefer we keep Stanley or bring in Pike as a rookie.

It would be great to have one trade period when we’re not having to discuss our Ruck options for the next year.

O’Sullivan should play most games next year so this frees up SDK to play ruck as a plan B.

Plan C is Furphy/Edwards

If we have ‘spare’ spots on the list then prefer we keep Stanley or bring in Pike as a rookie.

It would be great to have one trade period when we’re not having to discuss our Ruck options for the next year.
Your right but with Conways body issues having another back up isn’t the worst idea.
Especially if it costs us a 3rd or 4th round pick

Here is a 23 for next year that only has Danger, Stewart and Jezza as 30+ year olds.

FB: ZGuthrie SDK Kolo
HB: Stewart JHenry Holmes
C: Knevitt Danger Dempsey
R: Conway BSmith Atkins
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Stengle Neal OHenry
Int: Bruin Bowes Mannagh Humphries
Sub : Clark

That is only 11 premiership players from 2022 in there, but should still be competitive to make finals. That’s what I’d call rebuilding while staying competitive. Will we be premiership favourites - no. But it’s a pretty good transition.

These guys will probably still be there, but may not be critical anymore : CGuthrie, Blicavs, Duncan, Rohan, Bews.

Plan C is Furphy/Edwards

Stanley is not being kept his body is shot we had to convince him not to retire last year hes done.
And i like pike hes worth a rookie spot but hes not afl ready in 2025.nor is conway or edwards physically nor is furphy. And osullivan isnt either.
Blitz is cooked physically.

Some of those guys are the long term replacements for our older talls. But they arent ready yet.
Unless we are tanking on finals in 2025 we have to bring in a short term ruck.
I wouldnt spend a r1 on it (partly smith but theres no ruck available thats worth a r1 anyway) but a late r2 or r3 we absolutely can and should spend on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a 23 for next year that only has Danger, Stewart and Jezza as 30+ year olds.

That is only 11 premiership players from 2022 in there, but should still be competitive to make finals. That’s what I’d call rebuilding while staying competitive. Will we be premiership favourites - no. But it’s a pretty good transition.

These guys will probably still be there, but may not be critical anymore : CGuthrie, Blicavs, Duncan, Rohan, Bews.
I think Blitz still could hold a spot down back tbh

Looks good apart from Knevitt, I don’t think he’s going to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has it been mentioned that the end of McClueless's article about Merrett and Stringer that Bailey Smith is set to join Geelong?

I'll go a step further, with no Kolodjashnij or Atkins, as players who will be turning 30 next year.

Similar to what you've done, let's just say for the sake of argument that we end up with Smith, and someone like Garcia.

Leaves us with:

FB: J Henry De Koning Z Guthrie

CHB: Stewart O'Sullivan Humphries

C: Holmes Smith Dempsey
FO: Conway Dangerfield Bruhn

CHF: Close Cameron Miers

FF: O Henry Neale Stengle

I/C: Bowes, Mannagh, Garcia, Mullin

Sub: Clark

Is that side winning the premiership in 2025? It's highly, highly, unlikely.

With that being said, if for whatever reason we did have to commit to a younger, more future driven side next year, I'm very comfortable with where that sits.

Plenty of speed, class, & flexibility, with all 4 interchange options being able to play midfield, forward, or back in spurts.

It probably ewouldn't get us into the eight either, but for a rebuilding side, I'd be perfectly fine with watching that group grow and develop every week.

It's a credit to our list managers, as as I remember doing a similar exercise a few years ago, and it would've been hard to see that side winning a game.

Last edited:
No one has answered this. But is Smith worth it? I wouldn't have a clue.
He is indeed worth acquiring.
Walk up starter Round 1 2025.
Has played at an elite AFL level.
Something the unknown draft pick hasn't.
But at what cost is the question that should be asked.
For Pick 16 or 17 or 19??
The easy answer is YES.
Salary wise?
I guess having CottonOn as a sponsor(his sponsor) it's not as relevant as he'll be looked after on the whole.

He is indeed worth acquiring.
Walk up starter Round 1 2025.
Has played at an elite AFL level.
Something the unknown draft pick hasn't.
But at what cost is the question that should be asked.
For Pick 16 or 17 or 19??
The easy answer is YES.
Salary wise?
I guess having CottonOn as a sponsor(his sponsor) it's not as relevant as he'll be looked after on the whole.
Cash isn't the issue. We'll have $2 mil available. Easily. Probably 3.
But if Danger is on 800k, Holmes on 600k (as a guess) is Smith an 800k player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back