Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

You take him 10 time out of 10. A teenager isn't going to help us develop the kids we have
But, depending on which teenager we're talking about, you take high level talent over an established player 10 times out of 10.

In our case, though, we're probably not going to be able to draft anyone better than Bailey Smith's best. So, as to your point, in this case, Bailey is probably our best bet.

But, depending on which teenager we're talking about, you take high level talent over an established player 10 times out of 10.

In our case, though, we're probably not going to be able to draft anyone better than Bailey Smith's best. So, as to your point, in this case, Bailey is probably our best bet.
I'm not sure that really high level talent is there. There's a lot of kids who could be Colby Mckercher but no Harley Reid.

You would rather a pick 7 and 15 than pick 1 this year I think

Josh Kennedy (Hawks to Swans) would have been 22 or at least very close to perhaps? But I do agree, it's extremely rare or basically non-existent. Doesn't mean it can't happen though, it will one day.

It's a decent shout. He was one that came to mind so I checked.

Kennedy turned 21 in June of the year he was traded. Davies turned 22 in March this year so is 15 months older. Kennedy also played all of the last 9 games that year so was being selected more than Davies is.

It’s clear a lot of posters here don’t watch much footy outside of our games. If you don’t want Bailey Smith you have rocks in your head. And you’re going to be sad come trade week when he comes to us. He offers burst, speed from the contest and line breaking ability that only Dangerfield and Stewart offers. Holmes doesn’t count because he’s more a defender who thrives running into space. The rest of our mids, who I will say I love their effort and tenacity are from a different mould, which is a good thing as they all offer something else. But boy could we do with prime Smith right now.

And those talking down Davies. He’s still a kid. He has all the attributes to be a big body extractor. Finds his own footy, clean in the contest and tackles hard. Oh, and is 191cm. Is he the best player going around? No. Does he fit a huge need for us? Yes. Big body, can play as a defensive mid. A line up of - Davies/Smith/Bruhn/Stewart/Dangerfield/Atkins is genuinely elite. Davies is miles ahead of Clark as of right now. And that’s where we need to focus. The now. Clark will be a gun one day but he’s still one more season off. Cam Guthrie looks toast and if he can prove me wrong, which I hope he can, I see a different role than midfield for him now. And Holmes looks his best down back pinch hitting in the guts. Davies the only extractor in the mix that I named. Anyway, I hope we chase him, I haven’t heard of any solid rumours anyway. All I know is I was an advocate of a guy named Flanders who also couldn’t get a run in their midfield because of Anderson, Rowell and Miller and look at him now…

Also, I am still hearing interest in Oliver. I think if the price is right we will have a go. But obviously history says if we don’t like the asking price we will walk away without any huff and puff. Much like Stringer etc. in the past.

Furthermore, I hope we are looking at guys like Haynes and Khamis. Solid defenders who could cover Stewart’s role and allow him to thrive in his current position because the idea of Stewart and Smith bursting around packs has me drooling.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s clear a lot of posters here don’t watch much footy outside of our games. If you don’t want Bailey Smith you have rocks in your head. And you’re going to be sad come trade week when he comes to us. He offers burst, speed from the contest and line breaking ability that only Dangerfield and Stewart offers. Holmes doesn’t count because he’s more a defender who thrives running into space. The rest of our mids, who I will say I love their effort and tenacity are from a different mould, which is a good thing as they all offer something else. But boy could we do with prime Smith right now.

And those talking down Davies. He’s still a kid. He has all the attributes to be a big body extractor. Finds his own footy, clean in the contest and tackles hard. Oh, and is 191cm. Is he the best player going around? No. Does he fit a huge need for us? Yes. Big body, can play as a defensive mid. A line up of - Davies/Smith/Bruhn/Stewart/Dangerfield/Atkins is genuinely elite. Davies is miles ahead of Clark as of right now. And that’s where we need to focus. The now. Clark will be a gun one day but he’s still one more season off. Cam Guthrie looks toast and if he can prove me wrong, which I hope he can, I see a different role than midfield for him now. And Holmes looks his best down back pinch hitting in the guts. Davies the only extractor in the mix that I named. Anyway, I hope we chase him, I haven’t heard of any solid rumours anyway. All I know is I was an advocate of a guy named Flanders who also couldn’t get a run in their midfield because of Anderson, Rowell and Miller and look at him now…

Also, I am still hearing interest in Oliver. I think if the price is right we will have a go. But obviously history says if we don’t like the asking price we will walk away without any huff and puff. Much like Stringer etc. in the past.

Furthermore, I hope we are looking at guys like Haynes and Khamis. Solid defenders who could cover Stewart’s role and allow him to thrive in his current position because the idea of Stewart and Smith bursting around packs has me drooling.

Agree with this post, Smith is exactly the type of player we need. Also, Davies is 193cm.

Does Sam Menegola somewhat count?

Rookie drafted by Hawthorn in 2011 as a 19yr old & delisted after 1 year without playing a senior game

Rookie drafted by Fremantle in 2012 as a 20yr old, spent a couple of seasons with them without playing a senior game

Played a year in the WAFL, rookie drafted by us aged 23 in 2015 and went on to play 117 games with us over 8 seasons

Menegola and Bowes were the two that I thought of that fit the criteria and were decent players. But Menegola did his best work clearly on the wing rather than in the guts.

We're stacked with solid winger, flanker types who can go through midfield and would be ok as 4th-5th banana. We need to recruit and develop gun mids. And history says you're not going to get one by trading in a guy already in the system who can't get a game at the age of 22.

I'll pose the question again on Davies:

When has a 22+ year old midfielder who was rarely picked for their current club then moved clubs and had a really big impact?

He's 22 and has played 4 games this year and either been subbed on or off in 2 of them. This isn't Jordan Dawson (3rd in the B&F the year he was traded), Jack Steele (traded as a 20 year old), Tanner Bruhn (regularly picked and traded as a 20 year old) or Tom Mitchell (8th in the B&F).

Those talking up Davies sound like those who talked up Brent Prismall. At least Prismall played a bunch more than Davies and was trying to crack a genuinely generational team. He still did nothing at the bombers.
Shane Tuck Hawks to Tigers (may he RIP).

Shaun Grigg - Blues to Tigers

Scott Thompson - Dees to Crows - 39 games in 4-years @ the Dees. Went on to play over 300 in total.

Save the best two for last:

Glenn Kilpatrick - Dons to Cats

Liam Pickering - Roos to Cats

FWIW - Davies unlikly to make it, but for a late pick, why not..

Not saying he is or isn’t worth that but people need to stop thinking about future salaries in current or past days terms. Clubs salary caps are rising over 20% in the next few years so of course players are going to be paid more now. So that “900k” for English would be 720k in the current cap which is much more reasonable

Actually if you're adjust backwards from a 20% appreciation then it's $750k. Sorry bugbear of mine. It doesn't affect your point at all so please play on.

I'm not sure that really high level talent is there. There's a lot of kids who could be Colby Mckercher but no Harley Reid.

You would rather a pick 7 and 15 than pick 1 this year I think
I might be biased given that he plays for my local SANFL club, but Sid Draper is going to be a star. Like Horne-Francis before him, he's killing it in seniors.

He'll probably go number 1, so there's obviously no chance we'd get him, but I'd have him over Bailey Smith any day. I'm not sure about any other kids in this year's draft.

Smith will definitely fill a void in our midfield, especially when Danger hangs up the boots. He'll be a marquee recruit who'll help keep us in the hunt for years to come.

If we are giving up our first-round pick for him, it better not cost anything more than that. He's on the outer at the Bulldogs and by the looks of things he's surplus to requirements.

I might be biased given that he plays for my local SANFL club, but Sid Draper is going to be a star. Like Horne-Francis before him, he's killing it in seniors.

He'll probably go number 1, so there's obviously no chance we'd get him, but I'd have him over Bailey Smith any day. I'm not sure about any other kids in this year's draft.

Smith will definitely fill a void in our midfield, especially when Danger hangs up the boots. He'll be a marquee recruit who'll help keep us in the hunt for years to come.

If we are giving up our first-round pick for him, it better not cost anything more than that. He's on the outer at the Bulldogs and by the looks of things he's surplus to requirements.
Yeah the pick we give up I expect would miss Draper by about 5 selections, maybe more

You'd be trading out maybe Bo Allen?

Smith is being criminally underrated here. The only question mark surrounding him is the knee.

He will make a BIG difference to us..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Tuck Hawks to Tigers (may he RIP).

Close but he didn't turn 22 until Dec 2003. He would've already been traded before his 22nd birthday.

Shaun Grigg - Blues to Tigers

Good call. Probably the best nomination so far. Again though did he have a really big impact? Good role player but was clearly behind Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards and Lambert as a midfielder in that Tigers team. I'd have him in the Menegola and Bowes camp of solid player who wouldn't really move the needle on our desire for A-grade mids.

Scott Thompson - Dees to Crows - 39 games in 4-years @ the Dees. Went on to play over 300 in total.

Played every game for Melbourne in his final year before breaking his foot so wasn't struggling to get a game.

Save the best two for last:

Glenn Kilpatrick - Dons to Cats

Liam Pickering - Roos to Cats

FWIW - Davies unlikly to make it, but for a late pick, why not..

Pickering was never a midfielder right? Kilpatrick is a good call. Says a bit we're going back to a trade 30 years ago though.

Smith is being criminally underrated here. The only question mark surrounding him is the knee.

He will make a BIG difference to us..

There's gotta be some question over attitude too. But yes if he can become the player he was threatening to be our first rounder will be a massive bargain and it's clearly a risk worth taking.

My only worry was what we're offering him as a salary to get him across and if that makes it harder for us to get guys like Stengle and Holmes to stay for unders.

There's gotta be some question over attitude too. But yes if he can become the player he was threatening to be our first rounder will be a massive bargain and it's clearly a risk worth taking.

My only worry was what we're offering him as a salary to get him across and if that makes it harder for us to get guys like Stengle and Holmes to stay for unders.
His attitude is more than fine. He's borderline OCD in terms of his diet and training, and commitment to improve.

The guy might have a bit of FIGJAM about him (most of the best do) but he works harder than anybody.

His attitude is more than fine. He's borderline OCD in terms of his diet and training, and commitment to improve.

The guy might have a bit of FIGJAM about him (most of the best do) but he works harder than anybody.

On the track he's clearly great. But between the drug stuff, mental health stuff and it being unclear why he's wanting out of the dogs I think there's reason to be a touch nervous. I'm still pulling the trigger on our first rounder though.

Cal Twomey on Gettable saying today that all the talk is Smith is coming to Geelong. And it would be a big change for him now to change his mind and go to the Hawks, even though he thinks they're offering more money then the Cats.

We're a much better environment for Smith. Imagine him at the Hawks with Ginnivan, Watson, et al.

Cal Twomey on Gettable saying today that all the talk is Smith is coming to Geelong. And it would be a big change for him now to change his mind and go to the Hawks, even though he thinks they're offering more money then the Cats.
Looking likey.

Mind you, the same was said all year about Rawlings, Frawley and Hopper.

Fingers crossed - he'd be a huge get for us.

We're a much better environment for Smith. Imagine him at the Hawks with Ginnivan, Watson, et al.
The other consideration might be Hawthorn have a very good, young midfield, and he might be concerned about having to be a part of rotations and spend quite a bit of games on a forward flank at the Hawks.

Him walking in to Geelong and getting big minutes in the middle would likely be appealing to him..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back