Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

It’s clear a lot of posters here don’t watch much footy outside of our games. If you don’t want Bailey Smith you have rocks in your head. And you’re going to be sad come trade week when he comes to us. He offers burst, speed from the contest and line breaking ability that only Dangerfield and Stewart offers. Holmes doesn’t count because he’s more a defender who thrives running into space. The rest of our mids, who I will say I love their effort and tenacity are from a different mould, which is a good thing as they all offer something else. But boy could we do with prime Smith right now.

And those talking down Davies. He’s still a kid. He has all the attributes to be a big body extractor. Finds his own footy, clean in the contest and tackles hard. Oh, and is 191cm. Is he the best player going around? No. Does he fit a huge need for us? Yes. Big body, can play as a defensive mid. A line up of - Davies/Smith/Bruhn/Stewart/Dangerfield/Atkins is genuinely elite. Davies is miles ahead of Clark as of right now. And that’s where we need to focus. The now. Clark will be a gun one day but he’s still one more season off. Cam Guthrie looks toast and if he can prove me wrong, which I hope he can, I see a different role than midfield for him now. And Holmes looks his best down back pinch hitting in the guts. Davies the only extractor in the mix that I named. Anyway, I hope we chase him, I haven’t heard of any solid rumours anyway. All I know is I was an advocate of a guy named Flanders who also couldn’t get a run in their midfield because of Anderson, Rowell and Miller and look at him now…

Also, I am still hearing interest in Oliver. I think if the price is right we will have a go. But obviously history says if we don’t like the asking price we will walk away without any huff and puff. Much like Stringer etc. in the past.

Furthermore, I hope we are looking at guys like Haynes and Khamis. Solid defenders who could cover Stewart’s role and allow him to thrive in his current position because the idea of Stewart and Smith bursting around packs has me drooling.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You have got a better memory than me if you can remember the last time Bailey smith was actually a good footy player.

Since his last good season he has had chronicled mental health issues, a poor season of form, a full season out with a knee reconstruction and a mysterious social media video showing him with a bag of suspicious white powder.

Who knows what we are (potentially) getting?

On paper, our team appears well-positioned. However, when you compare it to a team like the Bulldogs you get a different perspective.

Even North's team looks impressive. How many A+ players do we currently have on our list? How many Sheezels do we have?

Love Geelong but we do need a refresh, whilst realising we are in the 8.
Honestly we probably have 3 A graders. Cameron Stengle and Stewart. That is it. I don’t classify dangerfield an A grader anymore. He is more a burst 15-25 touch midfielder these days and is not a four quarter player.

I’d say our list of elite talent is the smallest on the AFL

Honestly we probably have 3 A graders. Cameron Stengle and Stewart. That is it. I don’t classify dangerfield an A grader anymore. He is more a burst 15-25 touch midfielder these days and is not a four quarter player.

Nah that's a step too far.

We're just in the big group that's a step behind the top 4 lists on paper in Sydney, Carlton, Brisbane, & the Bulldogs.

Everybody else is scrapping for about 10-11 spots inbetween, but it's relatively even, and is prone to change as players develop and retire soon enough for the respective clubs.

For instance, GCS, Fremantle & North will likely go to the top of that group in the coming years or even exceed it, while a side like Collingwood goes down, or Brisbane as Cameron, Neale, & Daniher age.

It's a massive glut, with Richmond, WCE, St Kilda, & maybe Adelaide sitting in their own category on the bottom.

Nah that's a step too far.

We're just in the big group that's a step behind the top 4 lists on paper in Sydney, Carlton, Brisbane, & the Bulldogs.

Everybody else is scrapping for about 10-11 spots inbetween, but it's relatively even, and is prone to change as players develop and retire soon enough for the respective clubs.

For instance, GCS, Fremantle & North will likely go to the top of that group in the coming years or even exceed it, while a side like Collingwood goes down, or Brisbane as Cameron, Neale, & Daniher age.

It's a massive glut, with Richmond, WCE, St Kilda, & maybe Adelaide sitting in their own category on the bottom.
name the sides with less A grade talent than us??

I haven't watched Davies at all. I assume we are looking at a trade for our third rounder. Is that about right? We have had plenty of long shot wins over the years. Humphries and Dempsey the most recent steals.

On the Ruck situation, I couldn't see Chris Scott paying up for English. Hopefully we at least put someone who is ready to go on the list. Even is its the best state leage guy who is available.

On the track he's clearly great. But between the drug stuff, mental health stuff and it being unclear why he's wanting out of the dogs I think there's reason to be a touch nervous. I'm still pulling the trigger on our first rounder though.

I would want out if bevo was my coach.

If Holmes and Danger don't count I'd love to know how you're getting to 4+ A-graders at Essendon, Stkilda, Adelaide, Richmond, North, West Coast, Hawthorn and West Coast.

Yet they can't fit him in anywhere else. 18 others spots, yet he is racking up 22 disposals in the VFL each week
We have discussed this before.
Gc are very rigid with their selection structures (there are numerous other examples) so they only consider him a mid only and wont move him to another position. And they wont move anderson or miller to a flank etc to fit him in as an inside mid. He would be best 22 for us as an inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much better are those guys in midfield than Danger or Stewart?

My guess is if we had a decent ruck (maybe SDK can be that?) then a midfield of Danger, Stewart, Atkins, Bruhn and Holmes isn't that far behind it and Davies would just be another guy in the Parfitt, Clohesy, Clark, Bowes group who have obvious flaws and inconsistency they need to improve on. And he's way older and more developed than Clark or Clohesy.

Danger is 34 and stewart has played midfield for about 10 mins in footy terms.

Miller anderson rowell and flanders (plus guys like humphrey if he runs through there) is miles better than danger stewart bowes and bruhn. For me its not even close at present.

If Holmes and Danger don't count I'd love to know how you're getting to 4+ A-graders at Essendon, Stkilda, Adelaide, Richmond, North, West Coast, Hawthorn and West Coast.
Why would dangerfield count anymore?? He is a flash pan midfielder who can’t get 30 touches in a game anymore.

Not sure how many A grade mids out there can’t reach 30 possessions anymore.

Holmes is bordering and debatable, but I have him on the verge as he lacks impact as a midfielder and seems to only impact loose across HB.

I want to see holmes step up and take some leadership and ownership in the midfield which he has failed to do

You have got a better memory than me if you can remember the last time Bailey smith was actually a good footy player.

Since his last good season he has had chronicled mental health issues, a poor season of form, a full season out with a knee reconstruction and a mysterious social media video showing him with a bag of suspicious white powder.

His poor form of 2023 is still better than all our current midfielders 🤷‍♂️

Danger is 34 and stewart has played midfield for about 10 mins in footy terms.

Miller anderson rowell and flanders (plus guys like humphrey if he runs through there) is miles better than danger stewart bowes and bruhn. For me its not even close at present.
I really don’t like the idea of clogging up our list with reserves midfielders from other lists. We are not GCS or GWS starting up. We need quality over quantity. Those sort of players like davies are going to add absolutely no improvement and will just be another list clogger stopping someone else developing in the VFL.

Close but he didn't turn 22 until Dec 2003. He would've already been traded before his 22nd birthday.

Good call. Probably the best nomination so far. Again though did he have a really big impact? Good role player but was clearly behind Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards and Lambert as a midfielder in that Tigers team. I'd have him in the Menegola and Bowes camp of solid player who wouldn't really move the needle on our desire for A-grade mids.

Played every game for Melbourne in his final year before breaking his foot so wasn't struggling to get a game.

Pickering was never a midfielder right? Kilpatrick is a good call. Says a bit we're going back to a trade 30 years ago though.
From my memory Pickering won a B&F playing in the centre/onball

name the sides with less A grade talent than us??
It really depends on your perspective, and what you're asking for.

Are we discussing raw talent, or actual on-paper performance?

Here's a breakdown of standout players for each club off the top of my head.

Roughly, bold names are proven performers (past or highly likely future All-Australians within a couple years), and italicized names indicate those with strong potential to do so the same in future seasons.

Adelaide - Rankine, Dawson, Thilthorpe, Soligo, Rachele

Brisbane - Neale, Dunkley, Zorko, Cameron, Ashcroft, Coleman, Lohmann

Carlton - Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, TDK

Collingwood - Moore, Daicos, Jaicos, JDG, Maynard

Essendon
- Merrett, Parish, Durham, Caldwell, Caddy

Fremantle - Brayshaw, Serong, Ryan, Darcy, Jackson, Clark, Treacy, Amiss, Clark

Geelong - Cameron, Stewart, Stengle, Holmes, Dempsey, SDK, O'Sullivan

GCS - Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, King, Read, Walter, Humphrey

GWS - Greene, Kelly, Taylor, Green, Hogan, Callaghan, Cadman

Hawthorn - Sicily, Moore, Day, Newcombe, Meek, Watson, Ginnivan

Melbourne - Petracca, Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Rivers, Pickett, Windsor

North Melbourne - Sheezel, LDU, Larkey, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, Xerri

Port Adelaide - Butters, Rozee, Houston, JHF

Richmond - Bolton, Taranto

St Kilda - Steele, Marshall, Owens, Wanganeen-Milera, Phillipou, Wilson

Sydney - Gulden, Grundy, Heeney, Warner, Papley, Blakey, McDonald, Rowbottom

West Coast - Kelly, Barrass, Waterman, Reid, Allen

Western Bulldogs - Bontempelli, Liberatore, Treloar, Naughton, JUH, Smith, Darcy, Sanders

Last edited:
GCs midfield is miles better than us thats why hes not playing.

So if he's a gun who would obviously play for us I assume he's tearing up the VFL then?

Well no he's got 16 votes in 9 games (1.78 per game). Our own Ted Clohesy who's also struggling to get a game and is 2 and a half years younger averages over 3.2 votes a game.

What makes Davies better than Ted Clohesy who is outperforming him as a 19 year old while Davies is 22? And would anyone suggest Clohesy would be a really important signing for us?

Geelong have already completed a mental health and psych test on Bailey Smith.

He was originally diagnosed with Bevo-Itis but it seems that’s now cleared up since his manager had a coffee with Mackie. He’s also booked in for the mullet removal and the Geelong doctor has already written a prescription for “anti flog” medicine.

By the time he gets to Geelong he’ll be a cross between mother Theresa, the pope and Gary Ablett senior (and junior)

Adelaide
West Coast
Richmond
Gold Coast
GWS

St Kilda
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs

I think Port is line ball with their mids and Gergiades. Don't agree on GCS, GWS, WBD, MEL

Collingwood really depends how cooked you think their old guys are and whether Daicos is worth 3x A graders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back