Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Stringer would be fine if he cost nothing. Kicked 40 goals this year. I am very confident that Geelong could squeeze a lot more out of his talent than Essendon
Stringer has talent for sure.

Over riding that however IMO is his 10 season like penchant for being lazy in training and attitude to doing the harder years to get the best from himself.

And that aint gonna change IMO - no touch for me

Go Catters

I've no doubt that we could elevate Stringer's game significantly , and should do so on one condition only.......and that's via a cannon into the sun.

Fair dinkum, we're building nicely, and bringing him to the club would be like dropping vinegar into a batch of wine on the cusp of maturing.

Hard no.

Stringer has talent for sure.

Over riding that however IMO is his 10 season like penchant for being lazy in training and attitude to doing the harder years to get the best from himself.

And that aint gonna change IMO - no touch for me

Go Catters
I partly agree. Can only wonder how his career would have gone at the Cats. I would be comfortably with a 2 year x 500k contract and a late pick but would not be fussed either way.

Is Stringer a mid?
As part of a rotation for small bursts? Yes. Think 20% game time as a mid. Not exactly what we are looking for

You don't need to convince me that he's better than Hopper. I was never a Hopper fan, and I'm glad that he didn't end up here.

The point is (IMO) that he's closer to being Jacob Hopper than he is Patrick Dangerfield or Jeremy Cameron, in terms of the impact of his recruitment on our trajectory as a club.

These are players that almost single-handedly dictated seasons, finals campaigns, and eventually a premiership.

You knew you were getting an absolute superstar, no questions asked, as soon as we recruited them.

Smith isn't of that ilk, and there's no shame in that, very few are...but we can't pretend that it's not the case.

The idea is if we miss on Smith, it's not the end of the world, and could very well be a blessing in disguise - much like it was with Hopper.

Now, I'm not for one second saying we'd be getting any of these players, but the following are OOC within the next two years:

• Andrew Brayshaw
  • Zak Butters
  • Luke Davies-Uniacke
  • Finn Callaghan
  • Aaron Cadman
  • Matt Rowell
  • James Worpel
  • Chad Warner
  • Harley Reid
  • Sam Walsh
  • George Wardlaw

Just my opinion, but I'd have all of these players level - or above - Smith in regards to what they could add to our side.

Players of Smith's calibre become available regularly, quite literally every year....it's just up to the club to be able to convince them that we'd be the best option for them to play their football.

If we miss on him, so be it. As always, there will be other targets.

It's why I compare it to Hopper, rather than Cameron or Dangerfield, which would have been devastating had they not ended up here after all the courting that had gone on.
He's also only 23 though. So would still only be 30 by the time a 6 year deal runs out. Assuming he's not asking for the same money as Cameron or Dangerfield (relatively speaking, cap is much higher now), I don't really see the issue. Yes, Cameron is a better player and only got a 5 year deal, but he will also be 32 when his deal ends. It's all relative.

I understand there are risks related to his injury perhaps, but I'd say that Smith achieved more as an 18-20yo than nearly all on that list, so the pedigree is there. To me it's all about the $$$ and trade cost. 6 years at $750k and giving only this years first rounder, where do I sign? 6 years at 900k-1mil, and giving up this years and next years first, maybe that's a different conversation. Considering some of those you mention will be FAs when their deals expire, there's no reason we couldn't get Smith on a 6 year deal AND a Brayshaw or LDU as long as the $$$ aren't too high.

Stinger likely just trying to get a better deal from Essendon like Waterman at WC.
Clubs pay overs when they think they might lose an existing player they think they need. People value what they have more than what others value it.
This is called the Endowment Effect and Loss Aversion in behavioural psychology/economics. Made famous in Thinking, Fast & Slow.
Same theory as for Smith negotiations. Dogs will want 2x R1 picks and we’ll tell them they’re dreaming.

I actually think Stringer would be a decent fit for us. But you would only take him on a 1 year deal that isn't too expensive to begin with. And it seems the only reason he's looking around is because Essendon haven't offered him a 2 year deal, so I doubt he'd be interested if that's what we offered.

Stinger likely just trying to get a better deal from Essendon like Waterman at WC.
Clubs pay overs when they think they might lose an existing player they think they need. People value what they have more than what others value it.
This is called the Endowment Effect and Loss Aversion in behavioural psychology/economics. Made famous in Thinking, Fast & Slow.
Same theory as for Smith negotiations. Dogs will want 2x R1 picks and we’ll tell them they’re dreaming.
It's been reported that Essendon have told him that they're ok with him looking for a 2 year deal elsewhere, but they're not giving him one. So I think the theory falls over in this instance when they don't seem concerned about losing him.

It's been reported that Essendon have told him that they're ok with him looking for a 2 year deal elsewhere, but they're not giving him one. So I think the theory falls over in this instance when they don't seem concerned about losing him.

Stringer already has a 1-year deal with Essendon locked in, he just wants to push for 2-years - whether the preference is for that to be at Essendon or elsewhere is somewhat unknown

But if no club is forthcoming with a multi-year deal, he'll "don the slash" again next year

Stringer already has a 1-year deal with Essendon locked in, he just wants to push for 2-years - whether the preference is for that to be at Essendon or elsewhere is somewhat unknown

But if no club is forthcoming with a multi-year deal, he'll "don the slash" again next year
Would be madness to trade for him considering his age, history and very very poor training standards which is what you don’t want around the developing kids and culture

Like many others have stated it really does appear to be more of an attempt to pressure Ess for an additional contract

**** him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubting that Stringer has talent (like many others have posted here) - The issue that I would be concerned about (among others) - is why a club that has not won a final in near on quarter of a century is not worried about losing him?
They've basically said - "here's the best we're offering" (a token gesture) - "but we're happy for you to look for better" - "but it's not available here"
That says a lot IMO

Given that the media have an incentive to name and shame the players involved in illicit drugs, and would love to do so, can you explain why pretty much no players have been publicly exposed in such a way? Why are rando no-names like you hyper-informed about the ubiquitous substance abuse within the AFL, and apparently knowledgeable about the exact players participating in it, while professional journalists with industry connections whose careers would benefit from reporting such a story never seem to mention it?

Defamation laws. A journalist would get sued for writing 'player x was taking drugs at x nightclub on the weekend.'

Bailey Smith was pictured with illicit drugs on social media - publicly available content that was reported on with no hearsay.

Most of the times a player receives media attention for drug possession/use is due to court/police interaction (Stokes, Liberatore, Hollands, Stengle etc).

I would be all for picking up Stringer if we could get him on a 1-year deal (unlikely).

When he is going he is a powerful burst player that we lack in the middle... besides Danger who is winding down his minutes in the guts.

The way we rotate our guys and play certain types around 60/65% TOG would be handy to keep Stringer fresh and explosive.

I think the Dons keep him on the ground much longer than we would.

Maybe going to a new club (and not one as average as the Dons) would get him to pull his finger out.

On the cheap I think he could be pretty good for us.

He is the type that can turn a game when he is on.

People going bat shut crazy about Smith with a 6 year contract yet a player like Wood is getting a 3 year contract at the age of 31

I wonder what everyone would prefer,
I’d take Smith on a 8 year deal before I offered Wood a 3 year deal at his age.
His management has done an exceptional job
I know (knew) his dad. He matured late. I actually said it on the north board years ago. ie, be patient.
And he definitely thought he was a chance of being at the cats. He told my brother that 2 months ago.
Masons dad is one of my brothers best friends.

I dont think I've ever met Mason.
But he gets tickets for my brother to go to saints games.
He's never going to win a B&F but he's bloody versatile.

I would be all for picking up Stringer if we could get him on a 1-year deal (unlikely).

When he is going he is a powerful burst player that we lack in the middle... besides Danger who is winding down his minutes in the guts.

The way we rotate our guys and play certain types around 60/65% TOG would be handy to keep Stringer fresh and explosive.

I think the Dons keep him on the ground much longer than we would.

Maybe going to a new club (and not one as average as the Dons) would get him to pull his finger out.

On the cheap I think he could be pretty good for us.

He is the type that can turn a game when he is on.
Lets be realistic though, he would come overweight, not work hard enough to lose weight and end up not being picked. Bombers only play him because they are desperate, we are not.

Id also subject him to laser torture by removing that hideous tattoo on his chest, he doesnt step in the doors at KP without that!!!

Defamation laws. A journalist would get sued for writing 'player x was taking drugs at x nightclub on the weekend.'

Bailey Smith was pictured with illicit drugs on social media - publicly available content that was reported on with no hearsay.

Most of the times a player receives media attention for drug possession/use is due to court/police interaction (Stokes, Liberatore, Hollands, Stengle etc).

Yeah and I can buy most of this, but again, if it's so ubiquitous, then why aren't there more leaked images appearing on social media that would provide journalists with publicly available content? When everyone has a smart phone with a camera, and the phenomenon is apparently so out in the open that random nobodies are seeing it happen at a massive scale (rather than illicit substance consumption being done behind closed doors so as to prevent the general public from being aware of it), then why are there basically zero photos of it happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back