Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Edwards might have his body ready by the time Conway should be in his prime, or fallen away due to injury.
Timing for Edwards is great for us, assuming a linear path for his body and development he could be ready to be an AFL footballer exactly when we need him to.
Both Conway and Edwards both have the skillset to be a top 3/5 ruck in their prime, some beautiful ruckcraft we haven't seen since Ottens and King.

The club have played an absolute blinder with the talls, particularly when we haven't been packing much on draft night.

SDK got 3 years development just as Taylor finished up.

Neale has got 4 years development just as Hawkins is finishing up.

Conway has got 3 years of development just as Stanley is finishing up. Conway's injuries have stalled his development and might leave us in a slightly awkward spot next year but not much you can do about that.

COS is going to have had his 3 years of development when Blitz/Kolo are finishing up.

Then Edwards as you say.

5 massive blokes with great athletic capacity.

Nothing is a given and it could all turn to dust but we couldn't have managed this better.

We will clear a heap of cap space with retirements over the next couple of years which will leave us with a war chest to chase a JUH, Cadman etc to replace Jezza which would lock us in talls wise long term.

Why speak in riddles man
Hehe 😛 Where's the riddle…?
SDK is being chased by clubs up north.
His parents are looking to settle/retire up north.
From another Carlton sauce of mine. He’s adamant that TDK is a red hot target by northern clubs with the CFC being unable to match.
As for the left footer from WA. Here’s a hint…. NOD.
My dog walking man talks in riddles so I’ve watered it down so there is at least some sort of theatre around the banter I’ve had with him.
He’s been pretty good so far with the Bailey saga and the Alex Davies stuff.
Even now speaks of Dockers Brayshaw as if we’re actually a real chance… kinda weird.
Take whatever I post any way u like. I just post what I’ve heard from folks that may be closer to the actual going’s on, than the bloke on the train on the way up to Melbourne.
I have all my fingers and toes crossed that most he conveys to me come to fruition.
I Hope that eliminates the riddles for ya buddy…
It’s Prelim week… GiddyUp Catters!!!

From another Carlton sauce of mine. He’s adamant that TDK is a red hot target by northern clubs with the CFC being unable to match.
My dog walking man talks in riddles so I’ve watered it down so there is at least some sort of theatre around the banter I’ve had with him.
Even now speaks of Dockers Brayshaw as if we’re actually a real chance… kinda weird.
Take whatever I post any way u like. I just post what I’ve heard from folks that may be closer to the actual going’s on, than the bloke on the train on the way up to Melbourne.
I have all my fingers and toes crossed that most he conveys to me come to fruition.

It'll be a coup for them if they land both DK boys.

I have two words for you: Buninyong sausages.

Yes he's a big lad, but I bet if you gave him a lifeline and a brutal preseason he'd be ready to go next year.

But as I also said, I'm not attached to him. Just an example given how he gave our VFL boys a touch up last week and also torched the Dogs today, despite the extra kgs. If not him, I'm sure there is another big, strong, mature-bodied ruckman out there in the state leagues somewhere worthy of an opportunity.
Honestly, we could do a hell of a lot worse than Crossley. I really could not give a damn if he did some coke at age 19, he's hardly Robinson Crusoe on that front.

He has a lot of attributes we'd be looking for:
  • Could get him with the last pick of the draft
  • Minimum AFL wage
  • Happy to play VFL if Conway is fit and firing
  • Durable (this is huge for a bloke who will probably be backup most of the year)
  • Consistent
That, for me, is a better option than Peter Ladhams, who is probably a better footballer but would expect to be playing AFL football all year, and command both a higher trade price and wage.

Look, he'll probably never be a frontline AFL ruckman, but his main role at Geelong would be to be there when Conway's unavailable.

The most important characteristic for a ruckman in Chris Scott's eyes is mobility. I would be staggered if he had any interest in a guy carrying 20+kg.

Lock in SDK as our ruck option next year if Conway isn't fit.

Just a bit of info I got yesterday.
Jed Bews has been offered a 1 year contract for 2025.
100/1 when I saw him start of season but credit to Jed and the coaches.
The most important characteristic for a ruckman in Chris Scott's eyes is mobility. I would be staggered if he had any interest in a guy carrying 20+kg.

Lock in SDK as our ruck option next year if Conway isn't fit.
He’s probably never had a reason not to. Full time environment, huge pre season, imagine the melts if we turned him into a player.

Left footed purple people eater is a riddle in my books.

Man if that Brayshaw mail is true it’ll be a bigger signing than Baz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that channel 7 commentary?

Foxtel commentary referred to him our long term forwards scout

Maybe some confusion amongst the different commentary teams?
You’re thinking of the wrong definition of “forward”. In this instance it’s not a person who plays in the front half of the ground, it’s who Geelong plays in the future. This guy’s been a long term employee of the GFC whose sole role at the GFC is to study who Geelong plays in the next 1, 2, 3 rounds, go to their games etc, prepare reports/tapes for CS and the assistant coaches and possibly attend game strategy meetings…I’m sure he’ll attend at least one this week.

All due respect mate but whatever your source is saying it makes zero sense.
Gc are absolutely stacked for talls (they almost lost moyle due to this) and have zero cap space after signing andrew.
Gws cant afford either tdk or sdk cap wise and dont need them positionally. Tdk is not going to sydney with grundy there (again cap will be am issue as warner is getting huge offers next year).
The only option is brisbane but frankly they have other list needs and their window is closing either brother would be dumb to go there.

Now it will be interesting bc if carlton bring houston in now thats another big $ deal and it might leave them stretched if tdk gets a huge FA offer next year (unless they trade one of their mids out).
But its way more likely the brothers (assuming they even want to play together) are both at geelong in 26 or both at vic clubs than anywhere up north.
They will just take their big cash and holiday up there in the offseason.

As for odriscoll he would be a good target for us but id be surprised if he leaves WA.

Why do you think Crossley is a bad idea?

If his mother is still around im not interested in him and i doubt our club is either. Its the right idea though we need to find the best older mature bodied state league ruck who isnt him.

Honestly, we could do a hell of a lot worse than Crossley. I really could not give a damn if he did some coke at age 19, he's hardly Robinson Crusoe on that front.

He has a lot of attributes we'd be looking for:
  • Could get him with the last pick of the draft
  • Minimum AFL wage
  • Happy to play VFL if Conway is fit and firing
  • Durable (this is huge for a bloke who will probably be backup most of the year)
  • Consistent
That, for me, is a better option than Peter Ladhams, who is probably a better footballer but would expect to be playing AFL football all year, and command both a higher trade price and wage.

Look, he'll probably never be a frontline AFL ruckman, but his main role at Geelong would be to be there when Conway's unavailable.

Crossley is too unfit plus his mum and the cultural stuff.
Ladhams would come cheap and sydney will probably give him away for a r4 just to clear cash for warner. Id do that deal cheap.

Regarding Crossley, no doubt that testing positive to recreational drugs & the drug ban would likely be a red flag, but from clubs perspectives they'd also want to see how he's responded to that issue and the subsequent changes he's made

25yrs old and it's pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that he's carrying a little extra weight - would think that if at any stage over the past 4.5 seasons since his drug ban ended that if he was serious about wanting to get back on an AFL list that he would have got himself into something resembling a level of fitness required for AFL, which would act as a suggestion to clubs that he's going to take things serious

As it is, he looks pretty content to be running around with Southport in the VFL and think clubs would have questions if he actually has the motivation to play at the top level again

We all know Stengle ****ed up when he was at Adelaide - delisted, goes back to the SANFL & worked his ass off to show that he wanted to turn things around and that's why multiple clubs had serious interest in him and wanted to sign him as a FA

If Crossley had showed even a hint of getting serious about wanting to return to the league, then he probably would have interest but I don't know how serious he is about that

Crossley is too unfit plus his mum and the cultural stuff.
Ladhams would come cheap and sydney will probably give him away for a r4 just to clear cash for warner. Id do that deal cheap.
The main issue I'd have with Ladhams is that he won't want to move in order to be backup yet again. BF whispers (often not worth the screen they are printed on) is that he is a cultural drag himself.

Raising the notion of culture - the guy got caught with coke in his system five years ago. It's not exactly a hanging offence.

He is 25 and would take at least two full preseasons to be AFL standard.
He is only 198cm and the top ruck prospects are now 203cm+ and can run all day.
I think whatever ruck option we take in the offseason needs to taken in the context that Conway will be the AFL ruckman when fit, which means that at least someone durable without a massive ego is the way to go.

I think whatever ruck option we take in the offseason needs to taken in the context that Conway will be the AFL ruckman when fit, which means that at least someone durable without a massive ego is the way to go.

De Koning with another preseason is a serious option moving forward. Remember, his brother finally put it all together at a similar age (24) and even had his own supporters wanting him traded.

I do agree though, a durable ruck would be nice to have. Sean Darcy has joint issues already but if he was 5-7 KG's lighter, perhaps those knees could handle the workload?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back