Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I think you're drawing a long bow.

Clearly the club is gearing up to land both players. And I'll back the club to pull off one of THE greatest off season heists of all time. We have cap space and list space - and that makes for a pretty good head start in negotiations. Pending changes to drafting rules and the use of future picks is a game changer for how some clubs will now approach negotiations. Our club is always a leader in this space and I don't think they're going to hide in the corner and die wondering.

Maybe flip the argument around and think about Bailey Smith's level of buy in if he's already decided on Geelong as his preferred destination + the club have told him we reckon we can land Clayton Oliver as well.
You may well be right. I can't see how we pull it off personally.

But I do acknowledge if anyone can it's us.

But until we get that formal Smith nomination, with all due respect, I assume he's not fully committed yet.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon he will be better, but we have other areas of the ground that we need to focus on I reckon, mostly the midfield. Conway has big question marks over his durability.

If you went Jacques I suppose you could park him in defence, and it would release someone like Humphries up to the Wing. That's another option.
We need to replenish our Big/tall man stocks i reckon.

I think we just need to trust the club to do due diligence on the character part. We have no insights from this vantage point.

Totally agree, but it's going to be an ongoing discussion until a decision is made I reckon given the void of subject matter we're now in so to speak.

If Oliver is being traded on his current contract, we should be looking at Melbourne paying in the range of $300k - that's what Collingwood is paying annually for Grundy's contract, so we shouldn't accept anything less from Melbourne
100k is splitting hairs. My point being if Oliver is keen to come to us he should be looking at it in the context of it being a life changing pivot. Depends on his character and self belief. Couldn’t blame him for punching in at 1m+ for the next six though.

Mixed reactions on the Demons board lol. Half saying get rid of Oliver for free he’s a burden, some saying a first and a future first. My fav is Oliver for a first, future first and Max Holmes.

A lot of delusion comes out during trade week. I've seen people say Bazlenka is worth a FRP, future first and SDK.

Mixed reactions on the Demons board lol. Half saying get rid of Oliver for free he’s a burden, some saying a first and a future first. My fav is Oliver for a first, future first and Max Holmes.
If Oliver is leaving it is due to shit happening with him and or Melb so it will be a shit deal for Melb at best and maybe even a complete turd of one

Sounds like they have channelled their inner-Bulldog. Other clubs doing their best to upstage Tigers fans!

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd put a line thru a bloke that beds ya Mrs whilst u are away. But not a bloke who has a addiction.
Exactly, one shows a weakness or a habit and is a disregard or abuse of ones self (i.e. physical health, mental stability, bank account).
The other is a disrespect / disregard and a lack of care of the damage one does to others around them as long as their perceived 'needs' are met.

Huge difference IMO

We need to replenish our Big/tall man stocks i reckon.
Least of our worries. Yes Conway is a concern but so could be any replacement. SDK, Blicavs back, Kolo & Henry solid, Neale can play a role and Edward’s could be anything. Cadman surely in the works. Heck even Furphy could be one as solid as any journeyman going around.

A lot of delusion comes out during trade week. I've seen people say Bazlenka is worth a FRP, future first and SDK.
A fully fit Smith for the last 2 years continuing to play like he did in 2021 finals would be worth 2 firsts with 1 being top 10 current Smith who had a down year in 2023 and an ACL for 2024 is nowhere near that. Only the delusional would think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are now having meetings with Oliver… I’m pretty sure I maintained strongly over the last few months we are deep into Oliver. I kept saying it and a lot of people on here weren’t having it. Nothing about this is surprising to me. I just hope we can now convince him and his management in these meetings and get him across.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100k is splitting hairs. My point being if Oliver is keen to come to us he should be looking at it in the context of it being a life changing pivot. Depends on his character and self belief. Couldn’t blame him for punching in at 1m+ for the next six though.

It's more than splitting hairs

It was suggested last night that his salary increases each year, potentially to $1.3 million in his final year - push for Melbourne to pay a good portion of his salary, at least around 30% over the remaining years of his contract

Because while it may "only" be $100k per season, over the next 6 years that adds up $600k (potentially more if Mackie negotiates hard) which is money we could use elsewhere rather than letting Melbourne off easy for the crazy deal they negotiated

Least of our worries. Yes Conway is a concern but so could be any replacement. SDK, Blicavs back, Kolo & Henry solid, Neale can play a role and Edward’s could be anything. Cadman surely in the works. Heck even Furphy could be one as solid as any journeyman going around.
People worried about Conway need to remember Gawns history.

More so... Tall forwards & tall backs not, ruckmen as we are solid with Chilli and Edwards for the next decade all going well.

I'm guessing that in that situation we aren't paying any of Oliver's remaining contract?

I don't know everything about Oliver's recent years at Melbourne and just how far his troubles go but I've posted before about him.

He wasn't a prick of a kid. He has the potential to go rogue if he doesn't respect what's happening but he will listen and follow strong leaders. Under Selwood I'd have zero issue taking Oliver, he is the type that would've readily followed Selwood. I'm surprised Gawn hasn't completely succeeded in this space but I get the impression even Gawn is let down by those running the club.

I think the challenge for Geelong is our leadership going forward, Danger is a professional but not quite the all round leader Selwood was (and he obviously only has a short time left). Stewart has the presence of someone you'd fall in behind but again, no Selwood.

Who's going to lead a Clayton Oliver type in a few years time?

I'd do the trade because whilst Cameron and Stewart are still on the list, we could very much be in the window. Under the right structure Oliver will be okay, but with our leaders (including Hawk) slowly moving on, our leadership culture and structure is quite as rock solid as it once was.

Strongly disagree. He would have been Geelong’s best mid at this standard in 2024. He is being judged by his own lofty standards. Even at 70% of that he’s a very good player.

If we are just judging on field the issue with Oliver in 2024 was that he would contest the stoppage and that was it. Would just completely give it up if he was beaten at the coal face. Stats might still look good on paper, but that is paper. If you don't have the midfield working as a unit you are in trouble in the modern game.

I don't know everything about Oliver's recent years at Melbourne and just how far his troubles go but I've posted before about him.

He wasn't a prick of a kid. He has the potential to go rogue if he doesn't respect what's happening but he will listen and follow strong leaders. Under Selwood I'd have zero issue taking Oliver, he is the type that would've readily followed Selwood. I'm surprised Gawn hasn't completely succeeded in this space but I get the impression even Gawn is let down by those running the club.

I think the challenge for Geelong is our leadership going forward, Danger is a professional but not quite the all round leader Selwood was (and he obviously only has a short time left). Stewart has the presence of someone you'd fall in behind but again, no Selwood.

Who's going to lead a Clayton Oliver type in a few years time?

I'd do the trade because whilst Cameron and Stewart are still on the list, we could very much be in the window. Under the right structure Oliver will be okay, but with our leaders (including Hawk) slowly moving on, our leadership culture and structure is quite as rock solid as it once was.
I think the rot runs deep at Melb so Trac and even Gawn are probably very unhappy

It's more than splitting hairs

It was suggested last night that his salary increases each year, potentially to $1.3 million in his final year - push for Melbourne to pay a good portion of his salary, at least around 30% over the remaining years of his contract

Because while it may "only" be $100k per season, over the next 6 years that adds up $600k (potentially more if Mackie negotiates hard) which is money we could use elsewhere rather than letting Melbourne off easy for the crazy deal they negotiated
Don't stress.
The powers that be will either say yay or nay based on many components.
That are both known and also the unknown.
If it's a yay then we know they(The Club) have weighed it all up and are happy to pull the trigger.
If that's the case we should all be happy, as they've done the checks and balances.
But Boy 0 Boy i'd be pissing myself with jubilation if that pick 5 is involved... lol

I have no idea how we achieve it, but goodness me if we got Oliver AND Smith that absolutely changes the game

:oops:

*pending both players firing and fit of course

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back