Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Alcoholism, gambling, drug addiction etc are illnesses.

Boofing another’s partner is a choice, but it takes two to tango.

Hypersexuality can stem from mental health implications. Read an article this morning about those with ADHD, who experience difficulties with impulse control, executive functioning + self-regulation, potentially contributing to an increased risk of engaging in impulsive or dangerous behaviours, including hypersexuality.

Yeah, and the same ADHD traits that help make these people elite sports people bring with that the baggage of ADHD in other areas of life

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IF Sam says he wants to look at his options in terms of a trade, and an interested club came to us with 2 x first round picks for SDK, including a top 10 pick, surely serious consideration is giving to it
oh course it would be, you make a rod for your own back if you don't consider all offers put to you for anyone.
Publicly all the clubs beat their chests and declare such and such is a required player, they won't move them etc etc... but if you are going to get well overs for it, you have to consider it.
Doesn't mean it will happen, if the player is not interested in going and the club would prefer to keep them then life just goes on.. but if there is a thought either way then anything can happen.

It is classic reporting this time of year though, there is nothing actually happening and a platform to discuss the nothing all day long. So you get "player xxx is gettable" no skin in the game for the person reporting it, if nothing happens they say I never said it was going to happen just people thought it could, if something happens they claim they broke the story.

Would be nice if about 90% of the population could actually understand what was happening, understand click bait and the way things are spun and didn't overreact so bad to it all

FWIW if we did land those 2 players, and even if we don't... I am expecting Danger to play 70/30 fwd/mid the last couple of years of his footy life.

The more I think about it, the Oliver thing is no chance. Can't see Dee's paying $300 - $400k and we won't take the full contract.

It's not how we operate. It never has been. If he only had 2-3 years left on the deal, different story.

It sounds like the Dee's have pushed this and it's just sending him another message that he's on thin ice and needs to change his ways and be better.

All the media are more or less reporting Clayton does not actually want to leave, but has been made to feel uncomfortable and unwanted and that we're 'pitching for his services.'

I'm not sure I'd want a player with his history, current contract and no real desire to leave his club coming here.

I think this thing will be dead in the water before trade week. Just my opinion.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be very difficult to come to terms but I think it could be a win win win for all three parties involved.
I reckon where there's smoke there's fire and Melbourne want him gone. And I reckon Petracca has been a big driver behind that.

There was a quote I saw earlier that Melbourne are publicly saying they won't trade him - but are privately shopping him and telling him to explore options. I reckon he's out of there.

When I was watching the 2021 grand final I sure didn’t think Oliver from Melbourne and Smith from Bulldogs could be a real chance of being at the cats in 2025…

Oliver is actually worth two late rnd 1 picks and 800k

His previous 12 months of issues may really help us here.
Just like it will for Smith. I dont know how good smith is as a player. But I do know where Olivers ceiling is. And it's top shelf.

Most people have a shit year in their life. It really comes down to if you can look in the mirror. Accept it, and have the support around you.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more than splitting hairs

It was suggested last night that his salary increases each year, potentially to $1.3 million in his final year - push for Melbourne to pay a good portion of his salary, at least around 30% over the remaining years of his contract

Because while it may "only" be $100k per season, over the next 6 years that adds up $600k (potentially more if Mackie negotiates hard) which is money we could use elsewhere rather than letting Melbourne off easy for the crazy deal they negotiated
I know and understand that these contracts give the players a lot of leverage so it is up to CO in the end, but here is a hypothetical...could a trigger clause or something similar be negotiated with CO for say three years in the future; based on behavior or performance? It could either the club or CO that activates it, just something that gets the deal over the line or adds motivation. Would it run afoul of labor agreements?

Yeah, and the same ADHD traits that help make these people elite sports people bring with that the baggage of ADHD in other areas of life

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That can be so.

Recent personal experience, two amazing results.

One a very unhappy teenager, who was asked to help a bricklayer with day labouring. He’s now a fantastic bricklayer, found his dream job ♥️

The second, diagnosed in mid 30s said it was a huge relief to know why he was “odd”. Applied for office admin for firm of architects + he’s now doing architectural drawing + model building.

+ sure there are still the underlying symptoms of ADHD. Fortunately, there are people who offer opportunities, accept symptoms + provide support, patience + nurturing.

Then there are absolute DHs, who cause disruption at their own expense.

All types of people, totally dismissed until they find their niche, who add to the world.

The old classic, they have to want to change or excel themselves.

Oliver is actually worth two late rnd 1 picks and 800k

His previous 12 months of issues may really help us here.
Just like it will for Smith. I dont know how good smith is as a player. But I don know where Olivers ceiling is. And it's top shelf.

Most people have a shit year in their life. It really comes down to if you can look in the mirror. Accept it, and have the support around you.
The problem though is that Olver is on close to double that number

I reckon where there's smoke there's fire and Melbourne want him gone. And I reckon Petracca has been a big driver behind that.

There was a quote I saw earlier that Melbourne are publicly saying they won't trade him - but are privately shopping him and telling him to explore options. I reckon he's out of there.
When a club wants a player out… they usually are goners.

Just depends on if it’s true they actually want him out.

And if it is true… the Dees have zero leverage and a deal will be in our favour.

P.S. is he still living with Gawn? Because gee that is awkward if so. It means Gawn has had a good look at him and thinks he should go… not a great sign if so.

Once it's on the table though you can't take it off and put it under the table 😆
Nominee entity (let's say club benefactor) buys property and leases it back to said player (at a market rate) for the period of their contract. Player retires and property is transferred from that entity to the players name.

It's been happening for years with property and business purchases that end up being held by the player. It's legal and completely falls outside the cap.

And if it is true… the Dees have zero leverage and a deal will be in our favour.

P.S. is he still living with Gawn? Because gee that is awkward if so. It means Gawn has had a good look at him and thinks he should go… not a great sign if so.
I've heard that the whole "moving in with the captain" was well and truly over stated by the club and they were looking for ways to show the media and supporters that they had the matter under control. It was a very short lived thing.

If Oliver and Smith were racehorses you wouldnt have them in the same paddock , because Oliver is just so far superior

Oliver was a seriously good footballer , hes had the off field issues , but prior to that hes was a very good and highly consistent footballer , not slow either , and a good height , i reckon he would be 6ft 3 inc in the old

Just my opinion , but Smith is the most hyped up , trumped up player ever , based on what 2 - 7th placings in their B/Fairest award , yet hes outgrown their club , hah

Of course he had that break out game in that final , where he kicked 4 goals , and who was that against again , Port Ade , at the Ade Oval , that says it all

Oliver is a seriously good footballer with runs on the board , where as Smith , a fair bit of it is just hype

I'm not sure we can draw the conclusion that Gawn might want him to go. He's obviously the captain and might be consulted and have a level of input, but he isn't the CEO, list management team or coaching group.

List management decisions on players would not be getting made by players. No doubt his views are considered which might inform decision making. He might be really keen to retain him but not his call at the end of the day

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back