Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I don't know everything about Oliver's recent years at Melbourne and just how far his troubles go but I've posted before about him.

He wasn't a prick of a kid. He has the potential to go rogue if he doesn't respect what's happening but he will listen and follow strong leaders. Under Selwood I'd have zero issue taking Oliver, he is the type that would've readily followed Selwood. I'm surprised Gawn hasn't completely succeeded in this space but I get the impression even Gawn is let down by those running the club.

I think the challenge for Geelong is our leadership going forward, Danger is a professional but not quite the all round leader Selwood was (and he obviously only has a short time left). Stewart has the presence of someone you'd fall in behind but again, no Selwood.

Who's going to lead a Clayton Oliver type in a few years time?

I'd do the trade because whilst Cameron and Stewart are still on the list, we could very much be in the window. Under the right structure Oliver will be okay, but with our leaders (including Hawk) slowly moving on, our leadership culture and structure is quite as rock solid as it once was.

On field, yes the guard is changing, but off field there's still plenty of strong leaders around the club.

Didn't someone here say that Oliver had told the GFC in the first instance that he wanted to play for them??
I think year of the cat mentioned that Clarry would jump at the chance to come here if it could be done... or something along those lines, it was only last night but I can't be bothered checking hahaha

I would think if MFC wants to end OC's contract it is their liability to make good the deal, i.e. there would be some financial penalty in them doing so, which would then be factored in to any dealings with us.

However if MFC can prove CO's breach of contract at all then the situation may be mitigated/reversed and it is all over B/W CO and MFC. I.e. he gets the flick.

That's my reading, though I have no insight into the actual contractual relationship or trigger clauses.
Good call.

Have to wonder if MFC sought legal counsel regarding breach of contract + with other players too?

It appears MFC, from top to bottom, issues are endemic.

Dodgy behaviour regarding drug tests + feigning injuries is startling. However, not only to MFC. No point to continuing this. It’s simply an example of many problems.

Consequently, it’s MFC’s responsibility to resolve, not Geelong.

Just said on SEN that Clayton Oliver is meeting with Geelong today.

We are now having meetings with Oliver… I’m pretty sure I maintained strongly over the last few months we are deep into Oliver. I kept saying it and a lot of people on here weren’t having it. Nothing about this is surprising to me. I just hope we can now convince him and his management in these meetings and get him across.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You certainly did

He should take a big pay cut "on the books" to keep our cap under control and we can pay him under the table from some third-party sponsor, via cash in a brown paper bag or possibly set him up with some nice land.

Win/win for everyone.

P.S. Don't let the Doggies fans know we roll this way.
Your secret is safe here on this public forum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strongly disagree. He would have been Geelong’s best mid at this standard in 2024. He is being judged by his own lofty standards. Even at 70% of that he’s a very good player.
I understand the premise, that perhaps he's being unfairly judged based on his previous standards. But I feel Holmes was clearly more impactful than Oliver this year, perhaps Danger also.

If Oliver is being traded on his current contract, we should be looking at Melbourne paying in the range of $300k - that's what Collingwood is paying annually for Grundy's contract, so we shouldn't accept anything less from Melbourne
I agree, but if we're getting a $300k discount, I'd guess that there will be a few clubs lining up that are interested.

He's a proven A+ grade midfielder. Most clubs would be taking that risk for 600-700k I imagine.

IIRC you said a while back, despite our ongoing interest, Oliver didn't want to leave Dee's?

What do you think has changed? Trac / further internal issues arising at the club?

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah you remember correctly. So, what happened is my source from Geelong kept telling me that we are deeply into Oliver. Him and Smith are our plan.

But then I spoke to a Melbourne player who is leaving the club himself and he told me Oliver’s preference was to stay. And as I said here the two pieces of information are conflicting in result but obviously both are independent of each other.

So, my deduction is MFC are happy for him to leave. Geelong who have been chasing him and in his ear for 12 months have jumped on this opportunity and now Oliver is more open to leaving as you would be if you don’t feel wanted.

And side note, Tom Morris has noted that privately Melbourne suggested he look around. His info coming out of Melbourne is usually on the money.

I have no idea how we achieve it, but goodness me if we got Oliver AND Smith that absolutely changes the game

:oops:

*pending both players firing and fit of course
If we could somehow rediscover the 2021 versions of both players - which has to be the goal - my oh my. Add in Holmes, Stewart, Danger (on a burst basis) and our support cast on rotation, and another preseason or two into Conway, and we would be a very tough midfield to combat for anyone.

Clearly there's a lot that needs to happen for that to be a reality though. Can't get too carried away.

Yeah you remember correctly. So, what happened is my source from Geelong kept telling me that we are deeply into Oliver. Him and Smith are our plan.

But then I spoke to a Melbourne player who is leaving the club himself and he told me Oliver’s preference was to stay. And as I said here the two pieces of information are conflicting in result but obviously both are independent of each other.

So, my deduction is MFC are happy for him to leave. Geelong who have been chasing him and in his ear for 12 months have jumped on this opportunity and now Oliver is more open to leaving as you would be if you don’t feel wanted.

And side note, Tom Morris has noted that privately Melbourne suggested he look around. His info coming out of Melbourne is usually on the money.

As per the link I posted above, Oliver has allegedly told Melbourne he's happy to stay, even though he's meeting with the Cats.

A lot of smoke and mirrors it seems.

This has blown up again in the last few days when Oliver learnt he was being shopped around. He has always wanted to stay but feels blindsided by Melbourne. He had met with us earlier this year and we are his clear preference if he is to leave. Which looks increasingly likely with what’s transpired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back