Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I don’t think Stanley was selling him his farm, he was just there to chat and get to know his new teammates.
Having watched Jezza's YouTube video out at Rhys' farm I think I've worked out what went down.

Rhys whipped out his bull castration tool and gave a demonstration. He then turn to Clarry and said "Next one is yours unless you agree to come to Geelong"

It's not that good of an opportunity. Most are thinking the Oliver of 2018-2022 is what is on the table.

In reality, we may see Freo's version of O'Meara or Collingwood's Mitchell.
I honestly feel as though this is one of those list management decisions whereby there's no real invalid viewpoint.
It is a risk, and he may not get better from here. But a change of scenery could re-invigorate him also.

The proof of the pudding may well end up being in the eating.

Funny you mention him, I met him yesterday and chatted for a few minutes
Looked a million dollars and seems to have his life in order, told him I'm old enough to remember when he chose not to play for Geelong and he remarked what a wonderful club Geelong is and how must be pleasing to follow such an organisation!

Im old enough to remember his father Bryan ( who might have won a Sandover medal ) playing for Geelong

He had very good skills both right and left foot , would be perfectly suited to todays game

And i will put my house on it , a game at Princess Park 1979 which i attended against the horrible Hawks , and it was pretty lean pickings , midway through the 2nd qtr , Bryan Cousins kicked Geelongs 1st goal of the game , and the Hawks i think might have had 10 on the board at that stage , but Cousins definitely kicked Geelongs 1st goal of that game

Having watched Jezza's YouTube video out at Rhys' farm I think I've worked out what went down.

Rhys whipped out his bull castration tool and gave a demonstration. He then turn to Clarry and said "Next one is yours unless you agree to come to Geelong"
An offer he can’t refuse I like it, imagine if Rhys had that attitude on the field.

I honestly feel as though this is one of those list management decisions whereby there's no real invalid viewpoint.
It is a risk, and he may not get better from here. But a change of scenery could re-invigorate him also.

The proof of the pudding may well end up being in the eating.

Yeah feels equally valid to say he'll win a brownlow for us as it is to say he'll go full been cousins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Oliver wasn't looking after the property he was living in properly so their director of football went over there and cut the grass and did the gardening for him. 😁😁 hilarious that he is taking a pay cut to move here and buy a farm.
Tom Cruise Lol GIF

How many players who have been clearly out of shape were ever able to get back into shape and dominate? Genuine question. I don't know the answer.
I can't really think of one.

Closest i can think of is Motlop in 2015. Didn't really dominate on return but was still good enough to get a band 1 FA offer from Port. Tore a few showdowns apart.

What is the effect on the squad when they see Oliver earning far more than our existing top players? And if he doesn’t perform?
How much more was Danger on when he came in? Or Jezza?

Because if Oliver comes in healthy and we get a proper preseason into him his effect on our midfield will be similar to what Dangerfield did when he arrived at Geelong.

How many players who have been clearly out of shape were ever able to get back into shape and dominate? Genuine question. I don't know the answer.

Lockett blew out but was still dominant.
Ablett Sr returned clearly out of shape in 1991. Struggled and came back the next year and dominated until his retirement.

Scott Cummings porked up and fell out of the game.
Derek Kickett likewise but at least remained in the game for a while.

Lance Whitnall was lost to the game because of his poor work ethic. Still highly talented.

What is the effect on the squad when they see Oliver earning far more than our existing top players? And if he doesn’t perform?

Good question Kitcat.

Which of our players earn more than $1m?

For $1.3m you’d expect Oliver’s best playing days. He’s lost that form. The risk is he may only gain some form. The hope is he hits top form + that’s when he should be rewarded. MFC has to accept part payment of his contract. I think $700k - $800k is reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back