Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Yeah, from when he was playing with MFC most likely… (edit might have gone early and Shagger was done with them before Clarry arrived)

Interesting to see SDK with the crutch too.

IMG_0722.jpeg

Good question Kitcat.

Which of our players earn more than $1m?

For $1.3m you’d expect Oliver’s best playing days. He’s lost that form. The risk is he may only gain some form. The hope is he hits top form + that’s when he should be rewarded. MFC has to accept part payment of his contract. I think $700k - $800k is reasonable.

"We're investing in your success by doing what ever we can to beef up the squad around you."

Not making any insinuations here. Just one for the history buffs. Has there ever been a year where the sexiest player in the league and the unsexiest player in the league joined the same club in the one off-season?

We aren't getting Nick Blakey though?

"We're investing in your success by doing what ever we can to beef up the squad around you."
Sure, if we were getting Patrick Cripps 😉

Oliver isn’t in 2021 -2022 form.

Have a watch of this.. Jenkins knows alot about Geelong.. And he goes on Oliver doesn't have to bring the Melbourne contract to Geelong, he can agree to a new contract from Geelong, which could be alot less than what Melbourne has got in there contract

That would require a fair bit of afl approval and a lot of goodwill by Clayton

You could find games where Jack Steven tore us apart too. Imagine committing to 6 years at $1.3m or even 6 at $900k and he ends up like that. It would be diabolical.

That's true and that's the risk

Melbourne aren't going to pay 600k a year for him to play somewhere else though that won't happen. 300 maybe. So unless the contract can be altered with afl approval I'm not sure how it gets done. But he clearly wants to come.
The question I have is, if it’s as toxic as it appears to be now between CO and the Demons, would they rather pay 500k a year and have him gone or pay his full1.2 ish and have him not play for them at all.
I could see no way he plays for them again if they keep him if… and only if… it’s gone as pear shaped as has been reported.

And if he’s declared GFC or nothing.. then the Demons are over a barrel and mackie just loves those situations

I’m still not sold on CO and us being able to correct his ways.. and I’m also not sure how smith will react to having to share the limelight with CO given baz seems very self promoting.

Go Catters

My fave thing about all this is the people that all the people pissing and moaning about "No Salary Cap at Geelong!!" and similar are usually the same ones that dismiss most of our players as "cooked" or "spuds"

You point out that we have brought in 2 high profile, highly paid players in 10 years, and the rest are mostly players other supporters don't rate (Rohan, Stanley, Reg etc) or 21 year old kids who aren't on big money (Tanner, Ollie H) and out of the rest of the side it feels like half are off the rookie draft or late picks and no top top draft picks taking big dollars... AND we don't offer inflated 6-8 year panic contracts like other clubs.

Unfortunately I am convinced about 80% of footy fans share a deformed hive mind so all they can come up with is "Ugghhhh Cotton On" in response

My fave thing about all this is the people that all the people pissing and moaning about "No Salary Cap at Geelong!!" and similar are usually the same ones that dismiss most of our players as "cooked" or "spuds"

You point out that we have brought in 2 high profile, highly paid players in 10 years, and the rest are mostly players other supporters don't rate (Rohan, Stanley, Reg etc) or 21 year old kids who aren't on big money (Tanner, Ollie H) and out of the rest of the side it feels like half are off the rookie draft or late picks and no top top draft picks taking big dollars... AND we don't offer inflated 6-8 year panic contracts like other clubs.

Unfortunately I am convinced about 80% of footy fans share a deformed hive mind so all they can come up with is "Ugghhhh Cotton On" in response
From "half your best 22 are about to retire, you won't be abke to field a side" to "you are so stacked you must be cheating"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question I have is, if it’s as toxic as it appears to be now between CO and the Demons, would they rather pay 500k a year and have him gone or pay his full1.2 ish and have him not play for them at all.
I could see no way he plays for them again if they keep him if… and only if… it’s gone as pear shaped as has been reported.

And if he’s declared GFC or nothing.. then the Demons are over a barrel and mackie just loves those situations

I’m still not sold on CO and us being able to correct his ways.. and I’m also not sure how smith will react to having to share the limelight with CO given baz seems very self promoting.

Go Catters
Theyre also both going to have to share the spotlight with holmes who could very well be top 5 player in the comp next year.

Dangerfield also wont give up the limelight as captain.

Good problem to have.

Even so, I really hope that if they do bring him in, they can find a way to make his contract consistent with the overall player contract framework the club has.

It's a bad idea to make "exceptions", especially for outsiders. If you're a gun who has been loyal and taken less than you could've gotten elsewhere, then you see a guy like Oliver come in on much bigger money than anyone else, I don't care how loyal and bought in you are - it would be very hard not to feel just a little betrayed.

Obviously I'm not Andrew Mackie, but if I was I'd be saying to Clayton something like:

"We're extremely confident that if you're looking to get back to your best footy and have a shot at contending every year, we are the best club in the comp for that, bar none. If a great environment, great culture, team success and personal performance are your priorities, coming over to us is a no-brainer."

"But we're not paying you stupid money. We have a system for player salaries and while you'll be very well paid at the top of the list, at our club you'll be within the framework. Which means we're prepared to pay you X. We'll do our best in the negotiations to get Melbourne to pay as much on top of that as we can, but whether that ends up being a lot, or zero, from our end we're still paying you X. That's how we roll, no exceptions. If it's not enough, thanks for your time, and best of luck with the Dees next year."

I don't disagree with that but the issue is if the afl won't let him actually take a pay cut (without it being counted on the cap) then melb needs to pay say 500k pa to get rid of him which im not sure they will do. So a lot of this will be backroom dealing with the afl and the cap auditor.

I don't disagree with that but the issue is if the afl won't let him actually take a pay cut (without it being counted on the cap) then melb needs to pay say 500k pa to get rid of him which im not sure they will do. So a lot of this will be backroom dealing with the afl and the cap auditor.
Why wouldn't the AFL let him do that?

They have all just had a gutful of us remaining relevant forever. They now need to throw mud and accuse us of cheating to make themselves feel slightly better.

Last edited:

This is probably my favourite sook from social media - a Collingwood fan taking a dig at our apparent lack of salary cap

• Cameron, sure as we know he's earning a good living
  • Smith, not yet signed but Bulldogs fans keep telling us the contract offer isn't for crazy money which is why other clubs will be happy to pick him up in the ND

BUT
  • Isaac Smith, who even said accepted less money to join Geelong as a FA than he was offered at Melbourne
  • Luke Dahlhaus, 😂 😂 😂 you've lost all credibility at this point

I think the AFL will make an exception and allow it on mental health / player welfare grounds.

His issues have been widely documented and if this helps him get a fresh start (which he clearly needs), I think they'll strongly consider it due to his unique circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back