Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Yes + all of their own making. Ludicrous of Dees to expect Geelong to bail them out. Ultimately, Oliver should go the ‘nuclear’ option.

He has a highly regarded manager, Nick Gieschen from Connors Sports Management.

Eventually, AFL might have to be involved.
Honestly if I was Oliver I would take a mental health year away from the club if they don’t trade or actively try and improve that environment and relationship

I’ve got news. As it stands he isn’t going. Been told by someone who knows him personally MFC trying to convince him to go and he’s not having a piece of it. He’s checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Old poster who got a new account to discuss this fascinating trade period, who has been following our year with keen interest - and has been amazed at just how on the money you've been with absolutely everything.

Alex Davies interest - tick
Bailey Smith interest - tick
Clayton Oliver interest (when all and sundry said you were wrong) - tick

I was particularly impressed, with when you alluded to Oliver wanting to stay, and Geelong staying interested, but Melbourne shopping him - which was such intimate detail that it really did seem like you had access to someone close to the industry (with strong knowledge of ours and other clubs' situations and dealings).

So kudos to you mate. Not a long-time poster, but you've blown all the other so called 'ITK's' out of the water, when a lot dismissed you - yet you stuck firm.

I am particularly interested though, in if this means Oliver will go scorched earth in the coming days? If he doesn't attend the B + F, does that mean he'll request a trade/tear up his contract and sign with us for unders/force Melbourne to trade him citing irreconcilable differences? Him liking the Instagram post of Bailey and Martin joining alongside him, just points to someone who is already checked out, and looking for a fresh start.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Spot on.

Is it Freo giving two rucks $900k a year? The one they got from Melbourne and some other bloke. For the piddling output they produce.

All AFL footy clubs are close to being country footy clubs at heart, but some are far, far closer than others.
Yep, Freo has committed to spend something like 12% of their salary cap for the next half a decade on 2 rucks, one of whom (Darcy) is struggling to even get on the field.

That's a full 1/8 of their salary cap on one of 18 positions on the field... and a position that many good judges don't even think is that important. (FWIW I do think it's important, but not to the extent of spending almost $2m/yr on it!)

You can't make this stuff up.

Not quite sure why oppo clubs would feel Schadenfreude towards Geelong? They’re furious because of our success + rationalise it with conspiracy theories. What is their pleasure derived by our misfortune? Sorry, don’t understand ☺️
Yep I cocked that one up, should have stuck to English and said sour grapes, also mentioned Sam McClure before when it was the other Sam in Edmund, mea culpa time for me x 2, 😂

I wonder what Petracca is thinking now? The President is gone but the most inept management team led by the grossly overrated CEO, Gary Pert, is still calling the shots.

I was enjoying the talk of Oliver wanting to come to Geelong, but it didn't seem real to me, just as Smith didn't seem real until there was an official announcement.

No aggression here mate, just got back from taking my little girl to the show. It's been a beautiful day (apart from the price of showbags being totally out of control) 🥰

Cat Dancing GIF
How much is a Bertie Beetle bag? Probably $50 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I can shed 32kg, no exercise (RA, OA etc)

Oliver, at 27yo, playing at Geelong, reigniting passion for footy, in a friendly competitive environment, with Bailey Smith the training freak + other players supporting him, should shed the 5kg (some say 10kg). Add the dietary support + sport psychologist, who he knows. It’s still up to him, with a second chance, there’s hope.
Was it here or on SEN I heard Geelong now have the league's best sports psychologist and that he was part of Melbourne's team up until 2019?

This is going to backfire so hard the minute they do something that demonstrates their "love" is all bullshit.
The pseudo love they showed him was actually MFC shopping around to find a club who will take him. Geelong was interested in 2023, nothing happened.

It’s ‘possible’ Geelong stated clearly, Oliver had to accept a lower salary + MFC to pay $400k of salary ??? I’m speculating.

Now Pert look like Dickens’ Fagin, internally it’s a cluster**** with so many contradictory statements from different areas.

Reported today, Head of Leadership Jim Plunkett has resigned. He was formerly at Leading Teams.

Yesterday, press reported Dees urged Oliver to attend B+F to say farewell. Today they are stopping the trade because they love him again.

I’ve got news. As it stands he isn’t going. Been told by someone who knows him personally MFC trying to convince him to go and he’s not having a piece of it. He’s checked out.
It would be huge for us if CO doesn’t attend their bnf.

I wouldn’t think it would be overly hard for Clarry to force the Dees hand to trade him… even though under contract for the next 800 years.

Honestly if I was Oliver I would take a mental health year away from the club if they don’t trade or actively try and improve that environment and relationship
Certainly an option, still that’s a year not playing footy. Perhaps he should speak to Bailey Smith?

Interesting that Gawn did not endorse Oliver staying or going in his latest interview.

He really sat on the fence going down the “I’m not lost management” pathway.

If the Dees were really wanting to keep him then you’d think they’d word up the captain and a guy Oliver lived with to give him some love and say “we don’t want to lose him and he is contracted blah blah blah”.

It really felt like the door could swing either way on it.

Interesting that Gawn did not endorse Oliver staying or going in his latest interview.

He really sat on the fence going down the “I’m not lost management” pathway.

If the Dees were really wanting to keep him then you’d think they’d word up the captain and a guy Oliver lived with to give him some love and say “we don’t want to lose him and he is contracted blah blah blah”.

It really felt like the door could swing either way on it.
‘Lost management’ is fitting..

Yep I cocked that one up, should have stuck to English and said sour grapes, also mentioned Sam McClure before when it was the other Sam in Edmund, mea culpa time for me x 2, 😂
I thought you had a philosophical or shrewd reason, so was interested. Consoling for me as I stuff up constantly 🤣

Was it here or on SEN I heard Geelong now have the league's best sports psychologist and that he was part of Melbourne's team up until 2019?
Yes here, you’re right. Said he worked with Oliver. Might be another motivation for Oliver to come, if he respects him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back