Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Interesting at the start... Jack Viney gives the worst committed answer of all time and even starts staying Clarry is looking forward to playing for the Demons next year and then stops himself

What's this talk i heard just before regards Nathan Krueger??
Does he want back in??
Shirley they Gest.?? Yeah? nah? Yeah?
Lol the only person who rates Krueger is Nathan Krueger... He's left us dropping the bottom lip at not getting a game and geeze I'd laugh if he did the same again after it was clear he was not in their plans when the rushed McStay back in and Krueger never got back.

Why would you be stunned that Oliver is on over $900k?

Perryman just signed for $900k with the Pies, and Oliver a couple of years ago was 10x the player Perryman will ever be. Plenty of other examples too.

It's just that the Cats don't pay that much to anyone (with the possible exception of Jezza, but he's exceptional).
Because Perryman has just entered the period where the salary cap jumps 2 million.

Melbourne had zero idea of this change when they signed the Oliver contract.
So they were idiots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Perryman has just entered the period where the salary cap jumps 2 million.

Melbourne had zero idea of this change when they signed the Oliver contract.
So they were idiots.

How the hell can you say you’d be stunned if Oliver was on over 900k? He signed the contract in 2022 when he won the AFL mvp in 2021, went on to win it in 2022 whilst also being a 3 time all Australian by the age of 24.

Stunned to be on over 900k that’s funny.

900 vs 1.3 is around 60%. Cut MFC out via salary sacrifice and indexation sacrifice, and Geelong aren't paying anymore, and Oliver gets where he wants to go. It's still plausible.

These are monster numbers. The difference over the life of a contract ends up being 2.4 MIL, but we're not inside his head, and we don't know what he wants. Maybe he values a new start over extra money where he's miserable. I certainly would. If you gave me a choice of an extra 2 MIL+ when I was already guaranteed 5 MIL+, and staying somewhere I was miserable for 6 years - I wouldn't even think about it. As you yourself said earlier, 'life is short.'

That might be your perspective, but it might not be his. If he chooses not to go to the B+F, maybe the situation has become untenable to him? It's not for us to judge or force our own perspective. We'll just see how it all plays out. Either way, he's just a person.
This has to be your other account Fishgutz... you must run a few different accounts..

Honestly considering he turned up to the bnf and the board have stated he wont be traded emphatically i think we can put this one to bed, its not happening.

I wouldn’t be quite so hasty. The next 48 hrs will tell all. If Oliver after tonight still doesn’t want to remain a Demon my bet is a trade will be organised.

Surely he wants to leave he scraps his contract and accepts what Geelong will play, otherwise he will have to play it out at Melbourne
He wanted to stay and probably still does, he was just blindsided by the CEO who was calling other clubs and asking if they're interested in him. Probably thought F it I'm going if that's the case. I don't think he's going to take pay cut nor should he. I guess if he doesn't go the CEO has to say sorry to Clayton. Which is a little funny.

I wouldn’t be quite so hasty. The next 48 hrs will tell all. If Oliver after tonight still doesn’t want to remain a Demon my bet is a trade will be organised.
I just dont see it happening, they will spin him the love bullshit and he will be talking up playing for them next year next week to every media outlet as per instruction from the Board!

It will be 100% damage control

This has to be your other account Fishgutz... you must run a few different accounts..

Lol, ah yes let's get all conspiratorial. I know you were untrusting of Calder in the past, when he reported on Tarryn Thomas being approached by us (which was confirmed by the North board), and have had much to say about any info that comes from self-confessed 'ITK's'...but I can assure you mate, I ain't FishGutz.

I'm a poster from a while back, who decided to close my account, and then reactivated my account given the fascination with this trade period. I don't think I'd be having a conversation with myself, about how impressed I was with his insider info, as my first post in about 18 months, lol.

But believe what you want to believe.

I’m with a couple of other posters here. Him rolling up to an event he doesn’t want to be at doesn’t change where his head is at. Melbourne are posturing but I cannot wait to see where Oliver takes this. I genuinely feel for the dude at this point to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you need do more off field for equalisation. Handing over draft picks is theatre for the fans but bad clubs will burn the picks and no one is happy.

I would ptovide additional development coaching resources for teams finishing outside the 8 and double whatever it is for bottom 4.

Think 2 year development coaches paid for by the AFL, kind of like rookie listed coaches. If you're always outside the 8 you permanently have 1 more development coach than other teams. If you're bottom 4 you get 2.

Say a side finished in the 8 this year, then 10th, then 10th again, then 15th, then 17th, then 15th, then 11th, then 8th, then 5th, then 5th the number of additional coaches you have is

8th: 0 going into the next year
10th: 1
10th: 2
15th: 3
17th: 4
15th: 4
11th: 3
8th: 1
5th: 0
Eh, maybe. I dont see signs the AFL and clubs are dissatisfied with the current arrangements which, we have to accept, are remarkably good at meeting the equalisation objective.

The chink in the armour is, if anything, the inequity in where players want to go and play. I could see the AFL acting on that before they blow up part of a working equalisation arrangement. Something like making it so the top 4 each year is unable to have access to players of a certain calibre in the player movement period.

You need to listen to the audio... Viney gives the most unsure non-committal answer ever. Even cuts himself off from saying Oliver wants to play at Melbourne next year
Gawn interviewed earlier today also gave nothing.

Said he wasn’t list management but trusts them that they know how to build a good list.

Didn’t mention he wanted Oliver to stay.

Didn’t mention Oliver is contracted and is a Dees player until otherwise.

Gave nothing as if he was very unsure about what the situation was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back