Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Statistically Cerra is one of the best users of the ball going into the F50 in the game. There will always be a place for someone like that

I think we have good ball users already and did not cost us a top 6 pick nor commit roughly 600k to such a B grader.

Freo made out like bandits with that trade.

Not necessarily.

Maybe we didn't offer enough.

If that's the case then it is fully in our hands.

I'm not sure what the Dees want to do with Oliver... I don't even think they know.
The Dees don’t know what to do. Exactly. So the decision was taken out of our hands. Perhaps they didn’t offer enough as their counter.

Imagine being Wells. He doesnt have any control over this. May have some input I guess.

But at the end of the day Mackie just says 'here you go buddy, I've left you with picks 45, 65,66,71,88. I'm sure you'll be fine'

*Wells throws 2007 premiership cup through window.
You mean he gets his mining pan out and does this

Money Gold GIF by Discovery
Money Gold GIF by Discovery

Imagine being Wells. He doesnt have any control over this. May have some input I guess.

But at the end of the day Mackie just says 'here you go buddy, I've left you with picks 45, 65,66,71,88. I'm sure you'll be fine'

*Wells throws 2007 premiership cup through window.
We do better with later/rookie picks anyway.

Of the guys we have in the side who have been drafted, Dempsey was a roookie pick, Humphries was pick 63, Neale pick 33, Miers pick 57, Jack Henry a rookie pick, Close a rookie pick, Zuthrie a rookie pick. SDK, Clark and Holmes the only first round picks getting around for us, and two were late first rounders. Pretty much every first round pick we had from the early to late 2010s turned out to be a dud or was shipped off elsewhere.

If Melb refuse to entertain a trade then there is not much that can be done. Why you’d hold a guy that doesn’t want to be there against his will is beyond me but there’s a lot of recent events out of that club that are extremely questionable.
We forced Sav and Kelly to stay.
Different circumstances but we also didn’t trade them when they asked too

I think thats over dramatic.
We really dont know everything thats ever happened. I for one know what Snr was up to in 95'

We saw the cousins situation.

And the Buddy thing was completely swept under the carpet. Were you in living in Melbourne in 08 when he scored his 100th that year? And I'm not talking about 6 pointers.

I knew a lot of what was happening with Carey way before it all came out.

Wayne Johnson?

Libba, Dahlhaus, Stringer Tuesdays?

History is littered with this stuff.
Sure, we've seen similar 'issues' so to speak, but not in regards to a player trying to leave his current club - who won't let him go - with a 6 year albatross being held around his neck.

I would've thought that part was self explanatory.

Anyway, the point is just saying "So and so did this, so why can't he do this?" doesn't work here, particularly when we don't know the situation.

We forced Sav and Kelly to stay.
Different circumstances but we also didn’t trade them when they asked too
For sure.

I have no issue with the Dees not trading Oliver if they don't want to because the guy is contracted.

That doesn't mean they have handled the situation well... but they owe us nothing.

In the end, if they want Oliver gone, we will provide them with an option... but they don't have to take it if it's not up to scratch with what they want.

I won't be sooking if we don't get CO for stuff all... as much as I'd love it to happen.

P.S. Once a player is OOC the club loses so much power (Hi Western Bulldog's lurkers).

For sure.

I have no issue with the Dees not trading Oliver if they don't want to because the guy is contracted.

That doesn't mean they have handled the situation well... but they owe us nothing.

In the end, if they want Oliver gone, we will provide them with an option... but they don't have to take it if it's not up to scratch with what they want.

I won't be sooking if we don't get CO for stuff all... as much as I'd love it to happen.

P.S. Once a player is OOC the club loses so much power (Hi Western Bulldog's lurkers).
Pretty much summed up my thoughts and probably plenty of others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Brad Green said Clayton Oliver has the full support of the board, correct?

We all know how this ends up

Such an easy problem to solve, rather then tie the compensation to finishing position have some conversion to the DVI system, then put a cap on the pick such that it can't exceed the pick your finishing position.

They don't want to solve it. The AFL wants North to get more for McKay than the Hawks got for Buddy.

Brad Green has really porked up post retirement.

Always baffles me how quickly some of them turn to food. I guess years of dietary restriction can do that to a person.

Brad Green has really porked up post retirement.

Always baffles me how quickly some of them turn to food. I guess years of dietary restriction can do that to a person.
I always assumed it was more about having a very high daily calorie intake when playing (as it needed to be given they're elite athletes) but then they don't scale it back when they're no longer as active.

Oliver i hope he does join Geelong

Geelong just hasnt fallen off that cliff , and the reason being the Cats just keep replenishing with very good players , and Oliver he is a really good proven top line player and at 27 there are still plenty of good years in front of him

Interesting comments by David Walls the Frem recruiting manager re Jack Martin , because Freo were interested in him " Jack was going to be a risk whichever way you look at it , given his injury history . When he is up and going he is a top line player , but his injury history is significant "

Ive never watched him at Carlton , but the interesting point is , he did call him a top line player

Melbourne are a hot mess, but the problem with fans this time of year is that they/we get attached to players or things that aren't even ours then drop the bottom lip when it doesn't look to be going our way.

People complaining here about how the Demons are "forcing a player that doesn't want to be there to stay" I mean Ffs... The official trade period hasn't even started yet has it?

At the end of the day it might not happen, but it might still happen... There is a long time to go yet.
I'm certainly not taking the words of a new president to a room full of members and sponsors as gospel just yet... And if the Dee's don't trade him then that is their right.. They tested the waters to see what value they may get for him, but they are under no obligation to trade him. They haven't done anything wrong, apart from upsetting the one person who has found out.. And they have to make their own bed on that one now.
I'd be shocked though if this didn't happen at every club about loads of players.. The Blues are keen on SDK is always the talk, Mack's not just dismissing that instantly.. He's listening to what they offer first I'd suggest.

We just need to be patient and keep quiet here I'd say, do our business we need to do and wait to see if a spot fire turns into a bushfire in the next week at Melbourne HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back