Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

As I keep saying, Andrew is enjoying the coffee on offer at Blank Space
Is this trade period a little unusual in your opinion?? Usually we see a bit more of the spud trades trickling through bit by bit. It seems this year everyone is “posturing” and having mexican stand offs...

I wonder if its an AFL bs for theatre ans higher audience rross all fan bases drawn into viewing directive or its legitimate

Oliver: Listen here you blokes. You are a mess and you've done everything to make me the scapegoat in the media - I've seen little to no accountability from the club. You told me I was loved yet I find out you've tried to flog me to another club the last 2 years. As a result, you've left me no choice but to seek a fresh start - take this as official notice of my request to be traded.

MFC: Can we just sit down and talk through how we get things back on track.

Oliver: I can't trust a word that comes out of your mouths. The time for talking has passed. My mental health has been severely impacted and I no longer feel that this is a safe environment for me to come to work each day. I feel vilified and you've taken no responsibility for the situation we now find ourselves in. I wish to be traded to Geelong and I'm politely asking that you consider my wishes and find a way for that to occur.

I do not intend to play for the club next year. Our relationship is untenable. My management team will be in touch.
Could his manager + an AFLPA representative attend that meeting? Dangerfield would be provocative. How about Paul Marsh?

With Oliver's manager, Nick Gieschen from Connors Sports Management + perhaps Paul Marsh, MFC could be less inclined to bully him.

Surely this trade has reached AFL, who would want this situation resolved.

Tend to agree - seems he is sorting his life out as he should.
However if the quiet farm life a la Tom/Jezz and Rhys is part of the attraction I'd be worried - our guys have families and are at a stage in their lives that will flourish in that environment.
I wonder if Oliver is ready for that lifestyle yet?
Caveat is I'm assuming a bit about his personal life at the moment................

But that is just a guess , and we are all guessing

Oliver is from the Murray Bushrangers , who knows his parents might have been on the land or his grand parents

Hes visited a few players at their rural properties , he may have thought this is fantastic , i would enjoy living here , and forget about how Melb treated him , the big driver of the deal will be the lifestyle opportunity he will get , if he wants that and craves that , then he will try to get a deal to join the Cats

By the way Moriac , is it picturesque countryside , ie rolling hills and river flats or is just flat boring and arid

Could his manager + an AFLPA representative attend that meeting? Dangerfield would be provocative. How about Paul Marsh?

With Oliver's manager, Nick Gieschen from Connors Sports Management + perhaps Paul Marsh, MFC could be less inclined to bully him.

If Melbourne don't wish to trade him then there is no trade.

Oliver's ultimately not the one who get's to decide if he goes, though. He has a 6 year contract. He may well want to go, but unless Geelong and Melbourne can come to terms, he'll be playing there next season.
If we're to believe reports that Oliver wants out and the playing group aren't fighting to keep him, them Melbourne will still be secretly happy to move him on. Do you really want a bloke on that much coin playing for the club under sufferance.

And as some have suggested, Oliver is open to a move and a renegotiated contract, then I reckon MFC will be privately supportive if they get $1m+ pa off their books for a bloke with some indiscretions. Indiscretions that I think have been magnified as a result of the clubs poor record in dealing with it. If the player agrees a move ticks all the boxes for them personally, and Geelong have a commitment from player and manager to renegotiate the terms within AFL rules, then this is a deal that could easily get done.

No guarantee he ends up at Geelong but players have more control now than they ever have. All over has to do is say "trade me to Geelong or I stay, and you can deal with everything that comes from a bloke at your club who is not invested - as is costing you $1m a year - and don't bother talking to any other clubs either. It's Geelong or nothing".

Mackie was straining himself to be respectful in the interview at the start of the week but I can guarantee everyone that this has not gone away and the likelihood of something eventuating is still very real.
There was a tell at the end of him talking about Oliver as well - where he corrected himself saying "As far as we know... as far as I know".

Very subtle and certainly not saying we land Clayton, but that was 100% someone not telling the whole truth.

Oliver: Listen here you blokes. You are a mess and you've done everything to make me the scapegoat in the media - I've seen little to no accountability from the club. You told me I was loved yet I find out you've tried to flog me to another club the last 2 years. As a result, you've left me no choice but to seek a fresh start - take this as official notice of my request to be traded.

MFC: Can we just sit down and talk through how we get things back on track.

Oliver: I can't trust a word that comes out of your mouths. The time for talking has passed. My mental health has been severely impacted and I no longer feel that this is a safe environment for me to come to work each day. I feel vilified and you've taken no responsibility for the situation we now find ourselves in. I wish to be traded to Geelong and I'm politely asking that you consider my wishes and find a way for that to occur.

I do not intend to play for the club next year. Our relationship is untenable. My management team will be in touch.
That's all very well. But the counter-narrative could run something like this...

'Listen, Clarrie, we entirely understand that we've failed in some of our responsibilities to you in recent times. But if everyone is prepared to own their part in the story, you would have to concede that some of your behaviour over the course of your time here lately has been well beyond the pale. We've only been talking about the vague possibility of you leaving because you have been an incredibly destabilising influence across the football club at different times. Clearly if you were preparing well and taking that quality preparation onto the field each week, we wouldn't even be contemplating this scenario. We backed you in with a massive contract and have every faith that you can get back to your best if we work effectively together for the remaining years of your deal.

Having said that, the Cats are interested in you, no doubt. But we'd love you to settle down, put your focus back on your football, get the help that you need for any off-field issues, and be a big part of us getting back into contention. Even this year you would have to admit that your conduct at different times has been distinctly unprofessional and far from the ideal representation of what you can be at your best. We made a long-term commitment to you a couple of years ago and we want to see you get the best out of yourself here in the pursuit of our shared goal of success for the Melbourne Football Club.

It doesn't look likely that Geelong is going to stump up anything like what we know you are worth in a potential trade deal. So we're really keen to work with you and see you return to your place as the most valued inside midfielder in the comp. It's happened before when you were here with us. So we see no reason why it couldn't happen again if we all get back to work, stay in close communication, and all do the hard work that's required to take us back to the top. It's only three years since we won the flag and there's no reason why we can't get back to that place if we all get ruthless and uncompromising again in our quest for excellence.'

"But I still want to leave."

'Too bad. Did you ever see that Simpsons episode?'

You're Here Forever.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this trade period a little unusual in your opinion?? Usually we see a bit more of the spud trades trickling through bit by bit. It seems this year everyone is “posturing” and having mexican stand offs...

I wonder if its an AFL bs for theatre ans higher audience rross all fan bases drawn into viewing directive or its legitimate

This is a totally crazy trade period, or more accurately out,"non-trade" period

Even last year we saw pick trades between teams when there wasn't player trades happening

Other than the obvious early deals of AN-B to Adelaide and Darling to North, it's been dead quiet, and it maybe it's a little conspiracy theory suggestion but does feel like there's a directive to hold off on deals

Why have we heard nothing in regards to the deal for Barrass to Hawthorn -> it was confirmed Barrass wanted a move to Hawthorn on 20 Sept which is 3 weeks ago, so you can't convince me there's been no communication between the two parties since then nor advancements on what seems like it should be a relatively straight forward deal

Sydney is reportedly holding out for more from North for Luke Parker... Why? He broke his arm at the start of the season, spent a month in VFL before being suspended for 6 weeks and only after that did he break into the seniors for 10 games. I know his name will forever be linked with Sydney, but he's soon to be 32 - what are they holding out for?

Add in other players who had early links to a new club, but it's all gone quiet now we're in the trade period and you can't convince me that there's been no movement on any of the bigger trades

If Melbourne don't wish to trade him then there is no trade.
D Bridge is right. The AFLPA and the AFL can't force them to trade out a contracted player against the club's will.

Plus... I don't know where you draw the line for bullying, but this isn't it IMO.

Cal Twomey on Gettable today saying he doesn't think Oliver gets done, unless Melbourne do a massive backflip on what they said at the B&F.
Nobody has any idea whats going on, just making shit up for clicks and listens, its ridiculous, the more silence we get on Oliver the more im convinced the channel 10 story was just made up and it is in fact off as Melbourne stated. An update on Bailey Smith would be nice though, not the crap about Power wanting to bend us over but a proper update on where things sit, we know they have been talking.

D Bridge is right. The AFLPA and the AFL can't force them to trade out a contracted player against the club's will.

Plus... I don't know where you draw the line for bullying, but this isn't it IMO.
A billion percent man.

So many people going on about how the players have too much power.

But then on the other hand if a team that has a guy contracted for 6 more years doesn’t trade us their player, we gotta get the AFL PA involved.

In the end it’ll come down to if the Dees truly want to move Oliver on.

I think there’s a chance it happens… but if not, tough t***ies to us.

That's all very well. But the counter-narrative could run something like this...

'Listen, Clarrie, we entirely understand that we've failed in some of our responsibilities to you in recent times. But if everyone is prepared to own their part in the story, you would have to concede that some of your behaviour over the course of your time here lately has been well beyond the pale. We've only been talking about the vague possibility of you leaving because you have been an incredibly destabilising influence across the football club at different times. Clearly if you were preparing well and taking that quality preparation onto the field each week, we wouldn't even be contemplating this scenario. We backed you in with a massive contract and have every faith that you can get back to your best if we work effectively together for the remaining years of your deal.

Having said that, the Cats are interested in you, no doubt. But we'd love you to settle down, put your focus back on your football, get the help that you need for any off-field issues, and be a big part of us getting back into contention. Even this year you would have to admit that your conduct at different times has been distinctly unprofessional and far from the ideal representation of what you can be at your best. We made a long-term commitment to you a couple of years ago and we want to see you get the best out of yourself here in the pursuit of our shared goal of success for the Melbourne Football Club.

It doesn't look likely that Geelong is going to stump up anything like what we know you are worth in a potential trade deal. So we're really keen to work with you and see you return to your place as the most valued inside midfielder in the comp. It's happened before when you were here with us. So we see no reason why it couldn't happen again if we all get back to work, stay in close communication, and all do the hard work that's required to take us back to the top. It's only three years since we won the flag and there's no reason why we can't get back to that place if we all get ruthless and uncompromising again in our quest for excellence.'

"But I still want to leave."

'Too bad. Did you ever see that Simpsons episode?'

View attachment 2137199
I stopped at ‘beyond the pale’ so they’re even dissing his complexion now?!? This is indeed a human rights story..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back