Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

With those years, do you mean the year in which they'd be a free agent or the year they'd first play for Geelong?

Based on the theoretical suggestion, Reid won't have played 100 games by the end of 2027 which would mean he wouldn't be a FA

While for Tom DK, he's next out of contract at the end of next season and he may reach the 100 game mark for Carlton either
Yes 😉

Let’s say the years they begin to play for Geelong.

I thought I used the season after their contracts ended.

Get the feeling I’m wrong cats09, by your reply.

Happy for you to amend + correct seasons when they begin to play for Geelong.

Add in free agency which starts on the previous Friday and it's 13 days in total

There's simply no need for it to be that long other than the AFL wanting to keep the media attention
Well free agency doesnt really count but I get your point.
If people are so against the length of the trade period then maybe dont have a draft/trade thread that runs for an entire year?

(I have no issue with it, just being a smart arse)

Mate, I provided my thoughts on why trade period needs to have a decent length yesterday.
Do you think Mackie is only talking to 2 clubs or do you think he's taking calls from 17 clubs?

Well free agency doesnt really count but I get your point.
If people are so against the length of the trade period then maybe dont have a draft/trade thread that runs for an entire year?

(I have no issue with it, just being a smart arse)

Mate, I provided my thoughts on why trade period needs to have a decent length yesterday.
Do you think Mackie is only talking to 2 clubs or do you think he's taking calls from 17 clubs?

Not sure the connection between an online discussion chat that encompasses the playing list and the length of the official trade period by the AFL

Regarding Mackie, I think he's been enjoying the coffee available at Blank Space cafe

The simply reality is that clubs don't wait until 9am on the first Monday of the trade period to start talking with each other - players, player managers and list managers are in conversation 12 months of the year

It may have only been confirmed publically last Thursday that Smith wanted a trade to Geelong, but all parties involved would have known for 6 plus months - as mentioned multiple times, discussions with Bailey started 18 months ago

So the idea that things don't get discussed or sorted until the official trade period is bullshit

Reduce the official trade period to a week and the same number of deals will get done - it's the AFL powers to be who like extending their time in the media which is why they extend the timeframe for trade period

Where's Butter going to be playing next year, because that's one move the media hasn't got wind of yet
Actually I may have gone too early on that. In answer, no clue.
I just wouldn't be surprised if that came up late. IF he has any intention of moving it would be the right time to do it.
And Port could go from zero first rounders to 3 in a blink.

Not sure the connection between an online discussion chat that encompasses the playing list and the length of the official trade period by the AFL

Regarding Mackie, I think he's been enjoying the coffee available at Blank Space cafe

The simply reality is that clubs don't wait until 9am on the first Monday of the trade period to start talking with each other - players, player managers and list managers are in conversation 12 months of the year

It may have only been confirmed publically last Thursday that Smith wanted a trade to Geelong, but all parties involved would have known for 6 plus months - as mentioned multiple times, discussions with Bailey started 18 months ago

So the idea that things don't get discussed or sorted until the official trade period is bullshit

Reduce the official trade period to a week and the same number of deals will get done - it's the AFL powers to be who like extending their time in the media which is why they extend the timeframe for trade period
I actually only started listening to SEN again this year after 5 years off.
But I liked what Russell said. If you want it shortened then fine, but you'll have nothing to talk about next week so what's the rush?

If they move to an additional mid year trade period then you'll probably get your wish Cats09.

Cal Twomey on Gettable today saying he doesn't think Oliver gets done, unless Melbourne do a massive backflip on what they said at the B&F.
Well I reckon there's a very good chance that's exactly what MFC do. They've been trying to control the narrative - but nothing from Oliver and his management. MFC will probably be the last to find out if Oliver makes his decision to go (if that's what plays out).

It would be an extraordinary turnaround and humiliation for them to now trade him.
Oliver: Listen here you blokes. You are a mess and you've done everything to make me the scapegoat in the media - I've seen little to no accountability from the club. You told me I was loved yet I find out you've tried to flog me to another club the last 2 years. As a result, you've left me no choice but to seek a fresh start - take this as official notice of my request to be traded.

MFC: Can we just sit down and talk through how we get things back on track.

Oliver: I can't trust a word that comes out of your mouths. The time for talking has passed. My mental health has been severely impacted and I no longer feel that this is a safe environment for me to come to work each day. I feel vilified and you've taken no responsibility for the situation we now find ourselves in. I wish to be traded to Geelong and I'm politely asking that you consider my wishes and find a way for that to occur.

I do not intend to play for the club next year. Our relationship is untenable. My management team will be in touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey on Gettable today saying he doesn't think Oliver gets done, unless Melbourne do a massive backflip on what they said at the B&F.

Does that mean that there is no substance from the Channel 10 News report?

Seems like no one but them are reporting the last night’s news

Oliver: Listen here you blokes. You are a mess and you've done everything to make me the scapegoat in the media - I've seen little to no accountability from the club. You told me I was loved yet I find out you've tried to flog me to another club the last 2 years. As a result, you've left me no choice but to seek a fresh start - take this as official notice of my request to be traded.

MFC: Can we just sit down and talk through how we get things back on track.

Oliver: I can't trust a word that comes out of your mouths. The time for talking has passed. My mental health has been severely impacted and I no longer feel that this is a safe environment for me to come to work each day. I feel vilified and you've taken no responsibility for the situation we now find ourselves in. I wish to be traded to Geelong and I'm politely asking that you consider my wishes and find a way for that to occur.

I do not intend to play for the club next year. Our relationship is untenable. My management team will be in touch.

That's a possible scenario but I haven't heard that a conversation of that nature has occurred (at this stage anyway).

That's a possible scenario but I haven't heard that a conversation of that nature has occurred (at this stage anyway).
Me neither but as many have stated, until such time as Oliver or his manager stick a knife through the matter it all seems very odd.

If this was absolutely no chance of happening (the trade) and the player was 100% re-committing to the club, wouldn't you just come out and say that. All we've heard is some flexing by MFC to say "we're not trading Oliver". And I suspect that's more than likely to appease disgruntled members. I spoke to someone who was at the B&F and they said most people in the room didn't buy an ounce of what the club was saying.

Me neither but as many have stated, until such time as Oliver or his manager stick a knife through the matter it all seems very odd.

If this was absolutely no chance of happening (the trade) and the player was 100% re-committing to the club, wouldn't you just come out and say that. All we've heard is some flexing by MFC to say "we're not trading Oliver". And I suspect that's more than likely to appease disgruntled members. I spoke to someone who was at the B&F and they said most people in the room didn't buy an ounce of what the club was saying.
It would be weird to try to appease disgruntled members by stating you are not trading him to calm them down, only to trade him the next week.

It doesn't make sense.

But until Oliver or his manager concede nothing is happening... I will hold some hope.

Any other club than the Dees and I'd think it was no shot now... but they are run by monkeys so anything can happen.

The question is who actually wants him gone and who is over-ruling it and why?

Actually I may have gone too early on that. In answer, no clue.
I just wouldn't be surprised if that came up late. IF he has any intention of moving it would be the right time to do it.
And Port could go from zero first rounders to 3 in a blink.
From our perspective it would be great for Butters to request a trade here.

But from Port's perspective I can't think of a worse time for it to happen. They've just made a prelim and their best player, who's just turned 24, leaves the club. Add in Houston and yes, they'd get at least 3 first rounders, but they'd also be losing 2 proven A+ grade players to get them.

Well I reckon there's a very good chance that's exactly what MFC do. They've been trying to control the narrative - but nothing from Oliver and his management. MFC will probably be the last to find out if Oliver makes his decision to go (if that's what plays out).
Oliver's ultimately not the one who get's to decide if he goes, though. He has a 6 year contract. He may well want to go, but unless Geelong and Melbourne can come to terms, he'll be playing there next season.

Still zero trade news today?? Sounds like mac and most of them are sitting around scratching their ass all day

As I keep saying, Andrew is enjoying the coffee on offer at Blank Space

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back