Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I'll put it here now before it goes one way or the other. Clayton has serious issues and can be quite engaging and charming on the surface. We do not want that contract, I am very doubtful a plug and move will solve anything. Do not want in any way.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We wont be taking on the full contract if he was to come.
He would be obviously be taking a pay cut.

Issues can be worked through with the right people.

If he’s willing to take a significant pay cut to play for us, I think we are chasing the right player imo.

Issues can be worked through with the right people.
This is a real honey trap IMO. Issues can't always be fixed by enough outside help; at the end of the day, the only person who can guarantee change is Clayton himself, and if he's relying on a change of external environment to provoke that, then he's not going to do it.

The problem, for mine, isn't the value of the contract. It's the length.

Absolutely has to happen.
Got a bit of work to do in this space.

Max contract should be 5 or 6 years.
Free agency should be reduced to 6 years.
Scrap or massively reduce the compensation for free agents (i quite like the idea that only bottom 6 clubs are eligible for compo and picks begin from pick 19).
Fix NGA and Fathers Son (both should be retained in some form, but the charade of clubs trading back for junk picks, matching bids then trading back into the draft is a rort and must be fixed).

110 % but the problem is the afl is unwilling to stand up to the PA.

What contract have Bulldogs offered Smith? If none, it weakens their position because it means they don’t actually want him. We wanted to keep Tim Kelly. I think Esava was offered a contract but I could be wrong.

2 year deal so absolutely sweet **** all.

Dogs fans continue to say, "Oh its to get him to Free Agency"
Its hilarious, apparently he's a terrible disposal and they can't wait to get rid of him and yet "We want a Top 10 pick for him"
But they only offered him a 2 year deal....no wonder Bailey is pissed at them.

And Dogs fans are saying "we" are the hard ones to deal with? lol

season 7 GIF

Yep, Bailey has his issues and the Doggies will be probably relieved to have him out of the kennel.
Take this for what it is, some guy on an internet forum but I've got a good connection to a higher up at the dogs and this is spot on.

Take this for what it is, some guy on an internet forum but I've got a good connection to a higher up at the dogs and this is spot on.

And they're soo "happy to be rid of him" that they want a Top 10 pick and are driving a hard bargain.

Make it make sense, either he's a problem child that isn't worth it or he's a highly valuable asset that is absolutely worth it.

Can't be both at the same time, I understand negotiations and saying you want "two firsts" for him but saying you want a "top 10 pick" from a club they know doesn't have that for a guy they've basically pushed out is just pure shithousery.

If Beverage has much to say about the Smith situation, he strikes me as the exact type of stubborn #!?! to force Smith to the draft. Known for being ruthless with selection to prove a point also.

Conversely, do we believe that sort of club review altering shit ever happens at the Doggies? Dunkley called it out as well. He said it’s a bunch of guys split into cliques. You’re either one of Bevo’s Boys or you aren’t in with them…seems like a bit of a party culture vibe team. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, just the impression they give off. Make your assumptions from that. Dunkley said first day of Lions preseason he was shocked at how much running they did and was impressed by the standards at training.
“Not that there’s anything wrong with it.”

Cliques are destructive in team dynamics, especially when encouraged by leaders. Cliques usually stir trouble, covertly battling each other isolating outliers.

How much influence does Bevo have with player trading negotiations?

This is a real honey trap IMO. Issues can't always be fixed by enough outside help; at the end of the day, the only person who can guarantee change is Clayton himself, and if he's relying on a change of external environment to provoke that, then he's not going to do it.

The problem, for mine, isn't the value of the contract. It's the length.

Right. Mental health wellness is possible for everyone, provided they work on it. Physical injuries, weight gain and disinterested performance might even improve. His position at Melb is untenable, given their alienation and betrayal will cause more of the same. Damage done, so a new environment, new goals, can help a lot .
If Geelong is even in the game, they must believe he's not a complete basket case-yet. And bid or contract accordingly.

And they're soo "happy to be rid of him" that they want a Top 10 pick and are driving a hard bargain.

Make it make sense, either he's a problem child that isn't worth it or he's a highly valuable asset that is absolutely worth it.

Can't be both at the same time, I understand negotiations and saying you want "two firsts" for him but saying you want a "top 10 pick" from a club they know doesn't have that for a guy they've basically pushed out is just pure shithousery.
It's just negotiations.

Doggies need to push for the best trade they can get.

We'd do the same.

Eventually a trade will be made but they aren't going to roll over before pushing us for as much as they possibly can.

It's just negotiations.

Doggies need to push for the best trade they can get.

We'd do the same.

Eventually a trade will be made but they aren't going to roll over before pushing us for as much as they possibly can.

Oh i understand that, hence why i said, "I understand negotiations and saying you want "two firsts" for him but saying you want a "top 10 pick" from a club they know doesn't have that for a guy they've basically pushed out is just pure shithousery."

I believe a deal will get done and a lot of it is posturing. Just wish Wednesday would hurry up.

The Dogs have not pushed him out. He has been courted by your sponsor and recruiting department, we would still happily have him. If you want him you’ll pay for him, simple. If not t was the other way around you’d be saying the same as the Bulldogs now. He’ll be our hoops or yours next season depending on who pays.

The Dogs have not pushed him out. He has been courted by your sponsor and recruiting department, we would still happily have him. If you want him you’ll pay for him, simple. If not t was the other way around you’d be saying the same as the Bulldogs now. He’ll be our hoops or yours next season depending on who pays.
Not sure you understand how these things work.

There's absolutely zero chance he's wearing the Dogs hoops next year. Regardless of who pays or doesn't pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll pay something, but just not as much you want.

He's done an ACL, is several years off best form, AND just doesn't want to play for your jumper.

I'm sure you guys will think you got short changed, and we'll think we paid too much.

That'll be about fair.

No doubt.

I'm sure we will offer the Dogs something for him.

It'll be on Power whether he accepts it or not.

The thing is... even if Power doesn't take it, he will still get to Geelong (I do not doubt it).

We can only lose in this if we overpay... which we won't.

Dogs can lose if they don't make a trade and lose him for zero... Very doubtful that happens.

A deal will get made... What it ends up being, only time will tell... but I doubt it'll be what Power is demanding.

He's not going to stay and if there's no trade he goes to the draft and you get nothing for him. Which is why power will compromise on Wednesday take some pick swaps and sell it PR wise as a win.

We'll pay something, but just not as much you want.

He's done an ACL, is several years off best form, AND just doesn't want to play for your jumper.

I'm sure you guys will think you got short changed, and we'll think we paid too much.

That'll be about fair.
I'm of the belief unless Mackie cracks, we won't be feeling that way.

Mack the knife will get the job done. Just ignore the bleatings of supporters and the footy media. The media sees what supporters are saying, and while they won't parrot it, they will imply things here and there that support some ridiculous opinions to get ratings. That's why this time of year is ridiculous but entertaining.

He's not going to stay and if there's no trade he goes to the draft and you get nothing for him. Which is why power will compromise on Wednesday take some pick swaps and sell it PR wise as a win.
Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term. We don’t want to be pushed around by wealthy clubs anymore. He hasn’t even got to free agency and we feel we are being screwed by the AFL and the wealthy clubs who are also throughout the media. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.

I know this was posted at like 1am - so which day is today? Predicting the future and him playing on Sunday or do you mean Saturday?

If you mean Saturday it was highly unlikely he was playing golf at Moama as he was at the Caulfield Guineas, footage shown on the news - not sure how he'd fit in a full round of golf, a 3 hour drive and a day at the races all in yesterday
Season 1 Tardis GIF by Doctor Who

Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term. We don’t want to be pushed around by wealthy clubs anymore. He hasn’t even got to free agency and we feel we are being screwed by the AFL and the wealthy clubs who are also throughout the media. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.
Well that is why your club will remain on the periphery of mediocrity for the foreseeable future. No players get walked to the draft anymore. If you wanted him you would have played him in position, offered more than 2 years, and not draft his replacement. Labelling him a narcissist is an outrageous call. You don’t know him, you support the team he used to play for. You won’t get a top 10 pick, and you won’t get anything outside of our 1st, which will be pick 20ish on draft night. Enjoy that and Naughton’s 48 year contract 😀

Issues is a very broad term …
Bailey has anxiety + is very open about it. He said in an interview he’s “always been an "over-thinker" + "perfectionist".”

"… it stems from growing up through school, and footy and stuff. I haven't been too open about it but I probably need to address it a bit more if it comes up in conversation. I think it's healthy to talk about it, and know that everyone doesn't always cope as well as they would like, and it's OK to put your hand up and say you're struggling."

"Smith referred to two Baileys - the AFL footballer and the one known to those outside football.

The non-footballer, he said, was: "A sensitive, caring person, (who) loves talking to people, getting to know people, I love my dogs and love being relaxed. Football is only the tiniest bit of me, it used to be all of me, but I'm trying to steer clear of that because it is not a healthy way to be.

"That helps a lot in terms of not riding every bump which happens in football, because if you do that, it is such an emotionally tolling experience. And I did that last year, the year before, and it takes a big toll on you. The less you can see football as you, and solely you, I feel the easier it is to cope with the pressures, the talk."

https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=bailey smith anxiety&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5

Well, he'd be coming to a club with more footy history than anyone, wouldn't he?

I get you guys are p*ssed, but why is he out of contract? Why does he want to leave your club?

Yes, he's a good player, but he has had issues and how they'll resolve is unknown. What form he'll get back to is also unknown.

Walking him to the draft will reflect poorly on your club, and wouldn't be good for your long term appeal to players.

Might be wise to look at the club's performance, coaching and player management rather than cast aspersions on others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back