Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

There's a question I have, which has been really ratting around in my head the last week...and shoot me down if I seem off the mark...but...why are we so uninterested in this draft?

Every recruiter in the land seems to want in, and it's considered 'the best depth draft in recent history'...but Wells and co. are just sitting back going 'yeah we'll get some gems at the back end and see how we go next year.' We haven't offered any futures, looked at doing anything to get any extra picks - despite all our free list spots -, and we're just happy to go in with what we've got and be bit part players in this one.

Last year we wanted to keep our pick, grab a KPP and get O'Sullivan, bring Edwards, Mannagh, Humphries etc. in. This year, with so many list spots available, crickets. For a draft that's SO good (this wasn't getting said a few months ago), why aren't arguably the best recruiters/talent scouts in the land, interested in being that involved? Seem odd to anyone else?

Maybe this draft like so many before it, isn't as lucrative/talent-laden as others are proffering? Maybe outside of the Top 10 in Ashcroft, FOS, Smith, Armstrong, Smillie, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Kako, Travaglia (of which 3 are not even in the open draft), it's all just depth. Tons of picks will come in from all the academy matching, so maybe Wells and co. see the backend of the draft and the 10-30 picks, being relatively similar?

Thoughts?
I think given that we were a few kicks away from playing the GF this year, the club probably thinks it needs ready-to-go players to boost our midfield to hopefully win the flag next year. Given that our first pick will probably end up being 21, they won't get a draftee who's a complete player like Smith. And given the Cat's history of getting good players later in the draft, they're probably not bothered about getting early picks.

I think given that we were a few kicks away from playing the GF this year, the club probably thinks it needs ready-to-go players to boost our midfield to hopefully win the flag next year. Given that our first pick will probably end up being 21, they won't get a draftee who's a complete player like Smith. And given the Cat's history of getting good players later in the draft, they're probably not bothered about getting early picks.

Oh definitely. I actually think we'll get another mature ager or two this year, and look at another KPP prospect with 38. Cillian Bourke from Ireland should be our Cat B from Ireland if he comes, and we hope for more internal development from within. I just find it interesting that our Futures haven't even been discussed when considered trading into this draft - as we've been a lot more interested in the past few drafts.

I just think there's a lot of hype, but not a lot of substance to it when it comes to draft discussion at the moment. Richmond have put all their eggs in the basket for this year's draft...but if you can get a similar player at 40 as you would at 10 - what's the point?

Just how dumb can the Dogs be??!

Are they seriously contemplating letting him go for nothing out of pure stubborn spite??

It'll demonstrate just why they're a middling club if they follow through.
They want a pick better than 25 for Caleb Daniel. They want an early pick for Macrae, a top 10 pick for Smith

Sam Power has cooked it this trade period and made the club look like a bunch of amatuers

They want a pick better than 25 for Caleb Daniel. They want an early pick for Macrae, a top 10 pick for Smith

Sam Power has cooked it this trade period and made the club look like a bunch of amatuers

Daniel clearly isn't in their best team by their own actions , yet they're demanding better than Pick 25?!

They haven't wanted to play him, that'll likely continue, so why keep a player in the cupboard when you could swap for a pick at 25 while you can??

There's a question I have, which has been really ratting around in my head the last week...and shoot me down if I seem off the mark...but...why are we so uninterested in this draft?

Every recruiter in the land seems to want in, and it's considered 'the best depth draft in recent history'...but Wells and co. are just sitting back going 'yeah we'll get some gems at the back end and see how we go next year.' We haven't offered any futures, looked at doing anything to get any extra picks - despite all our free list spots -, and we're just happy to go in with what we've got and be bit part players in this one. Sydney as the other solid recruiters aren't that keen either. All the other clubs are trying to move up and stay in that Top 10-15 range, but no-one wants picks outside of that - except for matching purposes.

Last year we wanted to keep our pick, grab a KPP and get O'Sullivan, bring Edwards, Mannagh, Humphries etc. in. This year, with so many list spots available, crickets. For a draft that's SO good (this wasn't getting said a few months ago), why aren't arguably the best recruiters/talent scouts in the land, interested in being that involved? Seem odd to anyone else?

Maybe this draft like so many before it, isn't as lucrative/talent-laden as others are proffering? Maybe outside of the consensus Top 8 in Ashcroft, FOS, Smith, Smillie, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Kako (of which 3 are not even in the open draft), it's all just depth. Tons of picks will come in from all the academy matching, so maybe Wells and co. see the backend of the draft and the 10-60 picks, being relatively similar?

Thoughts?
You can't just magic top 10 picks though.

Pick 17 is unders for Bailey Smith, so you take that deal any day. And then our next pick isn't until 38 (pre bids). So, it's not like we're actively trading picks out, we just don't have then in the first place.

Just how dumb can the Dogs be??!

Are they seriously contemplating letting him go for nothing out of pure stubborn spite??

It'll demonstrate just why they're a middling club if they follow through.

Its all noise. Its likes some sort of game of afl knuckles where you move.. you lose. .. but the closer it gets to end of the trade period … I feel sentiment will be over ruled by practicalities and FOMO. All the loons are being fulled by the Dogs stance at the moment… and in a way its making a rod for their back ..as for when they do concede they will be irascible at them as much as us..

Trade Radio ...Its like listening to conspiracy theorists atm… idiots ringing up complaining about use …as if we are the only club that players go to… :rolleyes:

Every recruiter in the land seems to want in, and it's considered 'the best depth draft in recent history'...but Wells and co. are just sitting back going 'yeah we'll get some gems at the back end and see how we go next year.' We haven't offered any futures, looked at doing anything to get any extra picks - despite all our free list spots -, and we're just happy to go in with what we've got and be bit part players in this one. Sydney as the other solid recruiters aren't that keen either. All the other clubs are trying to move up and stay in that Top 10-15 range, but no-one wants picks outside of that - except for matching purposes.

Maybe this draft like so many before it, isn't as lucrative/talent-laden as others are proffering? Maybe outside of the consensus Top 8 in Ashcroft, FOS, Smith, Smillie, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Kako (of which 3 are not even in the open draft), it's all just depth. Tons of picks will come in from all the academy matching, so maybe Wells and co. see the backend of the draft and the 10-60 picks, being relatively similar?

Thoughts?

The only picks being traded out now would be swallowed up by a F/S or NGA bid.

Brisbane, Essendon and Gold Coast all want later picks included for additional points. Other clubs can offer much more so we're not in the race.

Our future first won't get us a pick high enough to guarantee we get a player we're keen on. It makes no sense to trade our future first for pick 20ish if we're not certain the players we want will be available anyway. We'll wait for the draft and I imagine if somebody we love is still on the table our future first will be up for grabs.

Brisbane, Essendon and Gold Coast all want later picks included for additional points. Other clubs can offer much more so we're not in the race.

Our future first won't get us a pick high enough to guarantee we get a player we're keen on. It makes no sense to trade our future first for pick 20ish if we're not certain the players we want will be available anyway. We'll wait for the draft and I imagine if somebody we love is still on the table our future first will be up for grabs.
Ala Holmes

You can't just magic top 10 picks though.

Pick 17 is unders for Bailey Smith, so you take that deal any day. And then our next pick isn't until 38 (pre bids). So, it's not like we're actively trading picks out, we just don't have then in the first place.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we're not being active in trying to get more picks in this draft by offering Futures of any kind. It's different to previous years, and goes against the idea that this draft is so stacked and everyone wants in. We clearly don't care, so I'm asking they question, why aren't we really fussed if this draft is such a good one? Nothing to do with Top 10, but rather, why don't we want more picks in it like some other clubs, when we just cleared so many list spots. Maybe this draft isn't the 'prize' that everyone is making it out to be - which has only be stated in recent months, and was considered pretty sub-part mere months ago.

Trade Radio ...Its like listening to conspiracy theorists atm… idiots ringing up complaining about use …as if we are the only club that players go to… :rolleyes:
Oppo fans live in salt farms, always complaining about our non existent salary cap, farms, cotton on yada yada yada, we are living rent free in so many peoples head its hilarious but also sad because the club has worked its ass off to get in the fortunate position it is in now and is disrespected by the football public all for being too good.

Surprised they can string a sentence together on a call considering all the salt from their tears clogging up their mouth.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moreso our Future 2nd, Third, 4th etc. Future 1st would be likely on draft night, but we're not even attempting to get involved and get more picks throughout - which we've done recently. Just asking the question why that might be - no right or wrong answers, but questioning the idea that this is some super-draft - when we seemingly don't care all that much?

Last year we wanted to keep our pick, grab a KPP and get O'Sullivan, bring Edwards, Mannagh, Humphries etc. in. This year, with so many list spots available, crickets. For a draft that's SO good (this wasn't getting said a few months ago), why aren't arguably the best recruiters/talent scouts in the land, interested in being that involved? Seem odd to anyone else? These are also the picks that will be off the board/swallowed up by Academy bids (as it stands):

28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 50, 54, 60

Thoughts?

Its cost rel talent. Id say Geelong ..if the y hold onto their Fr1 …might even look at options in draft ..like the Holmes trade ..if the right player is available..

Generally id say the cost of getting into this draft is probably so high …that we may be able to get one of these players in a three years time .. for less than it cost us to get into this draft. When they are uncontracted.. Geelong will probably find it less costly than what it cost to get into this draft...

Its all noise. Its likes some sort of game of afl knuckles where you move.. you lose. .. but the closer it gets to end of the trade period … I feel sentiment will be over ruled by practicalities and FOMO. All the loons are being fulled by the Dogs stance at the moment… and in a way its making a rod for their back ..as for when they do concede they will be irascible at them as much as us..

Yeah, I get it's all bluff and bluster, but I just don't see what they hope to gain from it.

It's not even rational. I get they want as good a price as possible, but making empty threats just reflects so poorly on them......it makes them look like a petulant child.

Last year we wanted to keep our pick, grab a KPP and get O'Sullivan, bring Edwards, Mannagh, Humphries etc. in. This year, with so many list spots available, crickets. For a draft that's SO good (this wasn't getting said a few months ago), why aren't arguably the best recruiters/talent scouts in the land, interested in being that involved? Seem odd to anyone else? These are also the picks that will be off the board/swallowed up by Academy bids (as it stands):

28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 50, 54, 60

Thoughts?
I too have thought this, my best take is….Lawson Humphries. The fact they snagged a player who is performing like a single figure pick in his first year with such a late nothing pick, gives them a free hit of sorts this year.

Burnt by the Dunkley trade, not letting that happen again (if he can avoid it).

Moreso our Future 2nd, Third, 4th etc. Future 1st would be likely on draft night, but we're not even attempting to get involved and get more picks throughout - which we've done recently. Just asking the question why that might be - no right or wrong answers, but questioning the idea that this is some super-draft - when we seemingly don't care all that much?
If we trade a future 2nd/3rd we can't then trade the future 1st later.

It doesn't make much sense to trade a future 2nd for pick 35 or so now when we don't know who's going to be available and we don't know what will be used up for other trades. It makes much more sense to do the trades we want now and wait for draft night to trade into the draft if there's something we really like.

Difference being though that they have been offered good deals, hardly getting bent over yet they continue to be pricks for the sake of being pricks.
What we think are good picks and Sam Power and friends would think, would not be the same thing I’d suggest.

What we think are good picks and Sam Power and friends would think, would not be the same thing I’d suggest.
Well thats pretty obvious given they want a top 10 for a bloke who is coming off an ACL and hasnt had a good season since 2021 🤪

Yeah, I get it's all bluff and bluster, but I just don't see what they hope to gain from it.

It's not even rational. I get they want as good a price as possible, but making empty threats just reflects so poorly on them......it makes them look like a petulant child.

I have never been thru it ..but Id imagine things like divorce might to the stage ..of where one partner would rather bulldoze the house than only get 30% (for eg.). They feel defenceless .. and have no weapons other than … the thermonuclear solution . MAD . Mutually assured destruction ..but even the destination club doesn't get hurt as much as the point of origin club .. ..In thsi case ..Worst case . We get a bit of mud and draft a kid … Dogs lose big time.

My opinion is all out of contract players should be fee agents. Smith gave them the six years he was contracted. … Kelly just goes straight to WC …Cameron just goes straight to us …etc … all this vilification is pointless and illogical… and to some degree hypocritical. There is not one club that has not traded someone in from another club. Some contracted ..some uncontracted…

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we're not being active in trying to get more picks in this draft by offering Futures of any kind. It's different to previous years, and goes against the idea that this draft is so stacked and everyone wants in. We clearly don't care, so I'm asking they question, why aren't we really fussed if this draft is such a good one? Nothing to do with Top 10, but rather, why don't we want more picks in it like some other clubs, when we just cleared so many list spots. Maybe this draft isn't the 'prize' that everyone is making it out to be - which has only be stated in recent months, and was considered pretty sub-part mere months ago.

Becasue we've also offered our future 1st for Oliver. And if we traded out any of our other future picks (future 2nd, 3rd etc.), we wouldn't be able to offer that.

Plus our future 2nd would be basically worthless in getting us into the top end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back