Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Nothing against those who now will discuss the various draft prospects for November but many a draft thread has taught me no one here is really an expert.

Deven Robertson and Brodie Kemp are two examples of players many were desperate for us to get. Both were attempted trades this week.

In fairness, that draft was relatively weak so those players you mentioned actually did in fact stand out and despite being avg footballers, are much better than the falcon we chose (cooper). So those fans who wanted Kemp / Robertson, were still more correct than the club who chose a worse player in Stephens.

It is a lottery after all

Last edited:

Nothing against those who now will discuss the various draft prospects for November but many a draft thread has taught me no one here is really an expert.

Deven Robertson and Brodie Kemp are two examples of players many were desperate for us to get. Both were attempted trades this week.
I'm starting to think people only liked Dev because he's pretty handsome.

Doesn't seem to offer much else. In fairness though, Cooper did even less I suppose.

Guys - A forward Scout report from family in Ireland
Cillian Burke (Pronounced "Kill"- "i" - "an") - Is a midfielder with good size (considered big at around 6 foot 1 - approx 185).
He's from the same county (Kerry) as Mark O'Conner and Stefan Okunbar (remember him?)
He is like Osion Mullin in that he is one of the best younger players in Ireland - some believe he might be a touch more naturally suited as he loves the physical contest and has good vision and scores -though not as quick as Mullin, he still has good pace.
He is very strong (for the GAA competition) - not sure he's giving the "don't argue" but he does break tackles and runs with the ball
Kerry are disappointed at losing him but they do understand the opportunity (the chance to have an opportunity at 300K Euros if he's half decent) and a paid holiday to train with a professional club for 2 years in Australia if he doesn't make it.
Apparently Geelongs history with Tuohy and O'Conner and more recently Mullin, makes Geelong a bit of a favourite over there and helps win them over potential prospects when picking between clubs.
I know whenever I am there (in the South of Ireland - the North is a little less AFL knowledgeable) - I always wear my Geelong gear and the amount of "Go Cats" or questions I get is quite amazing (We generally go once a year).
Long may this Irish association live - It's one of our great untapped recruiting fields - abd given we never get early picks in Australia - we may as well get the early picks in Ireland

What is classified as south … Tipperary ?..Cork? I love to get over there at some stage ..its where the genes originate from…. amazing to think that you could get "Go Cats" in that part of the world ...

Quit the trolling accusations.

I simply asked a question that apparently not many people on here want to consider.

If that upsets you, I am sorry.

But it is not trolling.
I stand by it.

For someone who has been on here for more than 15 years and 5,000 posts to ask a question like that couldn’t be anything else.

If it upsets you that I called you out on it, I am sorry.

It’s pretty clear that you’re not a fan of Smith, and that’s fair enough. Remains to be seen what value he brings.

I wonder if we know anyone in the comments section
View attachment 2145724

Some of these people make me shake my head. Do they want to really try to be an us and them in an afl environment cause … the big clubs will take the hand brakes off ..and get rid of the sal Cap and the draft …. and lets see how many choose to be at their club...

In fairness, that draft was relatively weak so those players you mentioned actually did in fact stand out and despite being avg footballers, are much better than the falcon we chose (cooper). So those fans who wanted Kemp / Robertson, were still more correct than the club who chose a worse player in Stephens.

That conveniently misses SDK who we also picked in that draft. From memory people were more annoyed at the SDK pick than Stephens at the time.

Where's the dogs' post thanking Baz?
This is exactly my thoughts… why is it ok to thank players you are giving the boot, but not ok to thank players who contributed probably in most cases even more games and effort to your club just because they are moving on to another club for their own reasons??

I assume then those same players upset about being delisted would find these posts condescending and patronizing?? And want to tell them to F off also??

The person cracking the whip seems to be the one with the smiles

What is classified as south … Tipperary ?..Cork? I love to get over there at some stage ..its where the genes originate from…. amazing to think that you could get "Go Cats" in that part of the world ...
All of those mentioned are the south - But the North is part of the United Kingdom Country and use the British pound and are under the king/queen - where as the South is self ruled and a republic and part of the EU - you'll see it in a map - they are in fact two separate countries - Majority is Protestant in the North and Virtually all catholic in the South.
Subsequently they play much for Gaelic football in the south - having said that Conner McKenna is from the North (county Tyrone) - the vast majority of those that play Gaelic football in the North are Catholics.
The thing I can't reconcile myself to though is in Kilkenny (about 10-15 Kms from Zac Tuohy's Portlaoise - pronounced Port "Leash") is a Hurling team (Its like a crazy version of Hockey) called the Kilkenny Cats - but they have Hawthorn Colours - Its simply wrong!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is exactly my thoughts… why is it ok to thank players you are giving the boot, but not ok to thank players who contributed probably in most cases even more games and effort to your club just because they are moving on to another club for their own reasons??

I assume then those same players upset about being delisted would find these posts condescending and patronizing?? And want to tell them to F off also??

The person cracking the whip seems to be the one with the smiles
The Dogs thanked Bailey on all social media platforms, and on their website he was mentioned first in the list breaking down the trade period.

Admittedly they put more effort into the Caleb and Jackson thank you posts from a graphic design point of view and released a video containing highlights with an emphasis on the premiership, thanking them but they're premiership players who have been with the club for 10+ years. I don't think that's too unusual.

I stand by it.

For someone who has been on here for more than 15 years and 5,000 posts to ask a question like that couldn’t be anything else.

If it upsets you that I called you out on it, I am sorry.

It’s pretty clear that you’re not a fan of Smith, and that’s fair enough. Remains to be seen what value he brings.
Thanks for the input - but you are wrong. Doubling down on a shite take like you have could also be construed as trolling.

See how easy it is to throw around garbage accusations?

Good bye

All of those mentioned are the south - But the North is part of the United Kingdom Country and use the British pound and are under the king/queen - where as the South is self ruled and a republic and part of the EU - you'll see it in a map - they are in fact two separate countries - Majority is Protestant in the North and Virtually all catholic in the South.
Subsequently they play much for Gaelic football in the south - having said that Conner McKenna is from the North (county Tyrone) - the vast majority of those that play Gaelic football in the North are Catholics.
The thing I can't reconcile myself to though is in Kilkenny (about 10-15 Kms from Zac Tuohy's Portlaoise - pronounced Port "Leash") is a Hurling team (Its like a crazy version of Hockey) called the Kilkenny Cats - but they have Hawthorn Colours - Its simply wrong!!

I think they meant the "south" of the Republic. So Cork etc.

You don't call Ireland (the Republic) the south.. It's just Ireland and then Northern Ireland.

Better teams have wasted bigger hauls
That haul of picks is not worth the pain that they are going to go through over the next few years.

They just came off a season where they finished last, and they have jettisoned almost all of the players that were half decent. The cupboard right now is absolutely bare.

Their 2025 could be historically bad, and I am here for it.

In fairness, I could pick any year, any board on the site.

Better teams have wasted bigger hauls

Forgeting its one big bag in a good draft…is it any more than other clubs like North etc have had. They are banking on that those that are drafted to Richmond ..stay at Richmond. Pies probably thought OHenry would stay there too. Clubs like Pies Blue Dons etc will come for some of them..

The Dogs thanked Bailey on all social media platforms, and on their website he was mentioned first in the list breaking down the trade period.

Admittedly they put more effort into the Caleb and Jackson thank you posts from a graphic design point of view and released a video containing highlights with an emphasis on the premiership, thanking them but they're premiership players who have been with the club for 10+ years. I don't think that's too unusual.
Ahh didn’t see that. Awesome to hear!! Thanks for the post

Forgeting its one big bag in a good draft…is it any more than other clubs like North etc have had. They are banking on that those that are drafted to Richmond ..stay at Richmond. Pies probably thought OHenry would stay there too. Clubs like Pies Blue Dons etc will come for some of them..
I am undecided on which is better… would you prefer the a more shallow draft with an elite generational gun then the others are more speculative?? Or would you prefer 3 players you know are more likely to be solid good players but not that elite generational 1 player.

Depth can be good, but if you are at the very pointy end would you prefer that elite generational talent with the 1 pick?? This draft seems even and almost similar with pick 2 and 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back