Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Where do our picks likely end up being after Academy/FS and all the late pick "passing" by other clubs? Our later picks probably Late 50s or Late 60s in this draft?

If Ashcroft gets bid on at around 3 Lombard and Kako at around 14 .. it looks around 8 picks.. so maybe 37…. but its just guessing on when bids happen.

This is the tall forward I prefer…

Liked him at the champs…. Nice hands on the lead. Good set shot , very mobile. Smooth . Not sure on his contested marking but he looked like he had an adequate leap. In that sense he reminds me a little of a Lukocious type. Is he a KPP at AFL level? The last write up on him by CT he mentioned he might not make it to the 20’s …. but yes I could see us like his movement if he had a good 2k at combine testing.

Its probably another example of …someone will slip thru...

^ That's what I'm getting at.

It's something that's crossed my mind occasionally, after seeing dozens of talented and hard working kids fail to take the next step every single year.

Sure, it's possible they're all just duds, and recruiters of certain clubs just continue to get it wrong year on year.

My rationale though is that these things had the potential to play out very differently.

Had many of these kids been drafted to strong clubs, with sound development pathways, and ingrained leadership and high standards from the coaching staff down to the senior players, we could be having a different conversation on many careers over the journey.

Little from column A, little from column B probably.

Its like Tambling and Varcoe . I really wonder if Tambling had gone to a better club if he would huge.

Liked him at the champs…. Nice hands on the lead. Good set shot , very mobile. Smooth . Not sure on his contested marking but he looked like he had an adequate leap. In that sense he reminds me a little of a Lukocious type. Is he a KPP at AFL level? The last write up on him by CT he mentioned he might not make it to the 20’s …. but yes I could see us like his movement if he had a good 2k at combine testing.

Its probably another example of …someone will slip thru...

I’m not sure he’ll unfortunately slip to our first pick. In fact I’m sure he won’t. But he would be imo worth consideration to trade back into the draft to have a crack at. Shown at VFL level he can be effective already. Moves well and importantly has a lovely set shot kicking style.

Its like Tambling and Varcoe . I really wonder if Tambling had gone to a better club if he would huge.
I have heard from a source at the club (involved with list management) that we have generally taken a different approach to players in their first few seasons.

We tend to groom them in with specific roles and build them up, where as other clubs have a tendency to throw them in the deep end a little more.

The latter can make stats and numbers look more inflated early on, but it is more the long game compared to the short game.

Bald or anyone else who has seen alot of smith… from his highlights he seems a pure outside dynamic kid who is hard running.. does he also have a strong contested midfield game or not?
He may very well develop into the inside contested midfielder but I haven’t seen a lot of it.

He’s very good on the outside, he’s actually shown he can do run with roles as well, he completely shut down Cripps in the game where Cripps was fined for pulling his hair.

We never really trialled him as the inside guy but when you’ve got peak Libba, Dunkley, Bont and Macrae who are all very good but reasonably slow it made no sense to put our quickest mid in that spot.

In short. I dunno.

My twin brother Peter was killed on Sept 11 terrorist attack in NY 2001. I'm very upset at reports about GWS making a skit about the tragic event. Peter and I were born and raised in Geelong. (by the way Geelong won the 2007 GF by 119 points, read the numbers !! ) What mindless privileged idiots would not think about how inappropriate it is to make theatre when nearly 3000 people lost their lives. Paul G
I am so so sorry to hear that. please accept my condolences.

As for GWS, the level of stupidity and spiteful insensitivity to anyone's pain seems almost incomprehensible were it not so routine for these kind of end-of-year how-stupid-can-we-be events. It's their mates laughing at them who incense me as much as the perpetrators. Mindless privileged idiots, as you say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back