Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

I totally agree but it is a big risk if you end up giving up a future top 5 or 10 pick which we have seen clubs like Collingwood botch before.

If we trade oru Fr1 ..and it did end up being a P5 …it would hurt … but I guess the bottom line is who we bring in. Max Holmes cost us Brown but few are purturbed by that choice…. but yes come 12 months..if we had te season from hell etc etc...

I guess its all about balancing risk and reward.. and wht they think next years acceptable talent is like..

If we trade oru Fr1 ..and it did end up being a P5 …it would hurt … but I guess the bottom line is who we bring in. Max Holmes cost us Brown but few are purturbed by that choice…. but yes come 12 months..if we had te season from hell etc etc...

I guess its all about balancing risk and reward.. and wht they think next years acceptable talent is like..

That's true and that's why I'll never say the club is outright wrong trading futures as the gamble can work. I will say it was easier do in 2020-21 I feel because being the covid years guys weren't playing and there was some bargains to be had because they had underexposure (for example is Holmes plays more that year he probably goes well before 20). Whereas it's a different sort of gamble now trading futures in a more 'normal' landscape.

With a player like Reid …I cant see one getting too much of a discount based on him being OOC. He will want to go to a club higher on the ladder … and one will not be able to use the threat of the draft with him … as any club would draft him. He would still go P1 in this years draft. The price for him will be scorching and if its us WC will be after an absolute obvious win.
I agree. But wouldn’t it be better for WC (should they finish say somewhere near the bottom next season) to trade him next season in order to get the draft or traded players from the draft picks they get for Reid a year earlier than when he is OOC and well before Tasmania comes into it?

I think that arrangement is better than having a player who is going to leave play another season in a team that isn’t doing well anyway.

Maybe you’ll be right but I think the issue with Saints is they’re looking for impact immediately. It’s a tough sell to their fans to constantly be rebuilding and Hotton will need nurturing next year. Full rehab and no preseason.. will be a good watch where he goes. Because in terms of talent he’s a freak.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I do agree waiting 12 months is an issue but they are all about midfield talent at this point and he's in the top 5 in this draft for that so I can see it. Regardless we would be very lucky if he gets to 16ish. Not bagging your mail but I don't see it.

Is anyone prepared to speculate on how we will fill the available spots on the list with picks 45, 57, 75?

View attachment 2148179

Way too early to call but if I had to guess
45 (35) jacques
57 (will come into late 40s probably) Faull or a similar random kpf
75 (60ish) Henderson

we are probably going to need to take a tall forward with at least one of our senior or rookie picks and we are probably on the hunt for a small defender too (unless henderson plays there but id play him as a mid). Id take a mature ruck but id probably leave that til SSP (again club probably wont do it).
Assuming we are still getting Martin between rookie and normal spots should be 7?

Once Martin comes we have 4 senior list spots (but don't have to fill all 4) and 3 rookie spots.

Flicking through the profiles there seems to be an absolute boat load of ~180cm mids. Probably working on 5 Lachie Fogarty's to a Lachie Neale.

For all the talk of it being a great draft it doesn't really feel like a Geelong draft. A tonne of guys with solid but not exceptional seasons and solid but not exceptional traits.

We've got a history of absolutely loading up in what end up being quality, deep drafts (2001 and 2016 for example) and taking limited picks in poor drafts. Bringing in a guy like Martin and getting Stanley, Duncan and Bews to all go around again suggests we don't rate the draft anywhere near as highly as some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the talk of it being a great draft it doesn't really feel like a Geelong draft. A tonne of guys with solid but not exceptional seasons and solid but not exceptional traits.

We've got a history of absolutely loading up in what end up being quality, deep drafts (2001 and 2016 for example) and taking limited picks in poor drafts. Bringing in a guy like Martin and getting Stanley, Duncan and Bews to all go around again suggests we don't rate the draft anywhere near as highly as some.
Hotton off an acl sems a Geelong pick though

Is anyone prepared to speculate on how we will fill the available spots on the list with picks 45, 57, 75?

View attachment 2148179

My guess (or more like hope) -

Trade FF to secure Shanahan
45 - L.Jacques
57 - J.Henderson
75 - J.Heron

Edit - assuming Hotton is unavailable. If he is it’s a no brainer.

Last edited:
Taj hotton???

What pick range would he be?? Is he a good prospect?

I think 5-10 but we would love it if he's 15-25 so we can trade in and grab him (if other teams dont first). He's a really classy player, I'd have him top 5 on my board if not for the injury.

That's true and that's why I'll never say the club is outright wrong trading futures as the gamble can work. I will say it was easier do in 2020-21 I feel because being the covid years guys weren't playing and there was some bargains to be had because they had underexposure (for example is Holmes plays more that year he probably goes well before 20). Whereas it's a different sort of gamble now trading futures in a more 'normal' landscape.

I think Mackie and the club have been espousing the worthiness of risk… so my guess its down to trusting their judgement and if the right player is available then they will drop the hammer.. I can see both sides of the argument… in that I feel we have a very good way of maxing late picks… … so in this draft …maybe one gets better value not paying to get into it..

I see West Coast the other day delisted Alex Witherden , hes 26 , kicks the ball nicely , moves ok , ive allways thought he is a player with a little bit of talent , but he has played with a horrendous team , worse side since Fitzroy of the early mid 1960s

If Geel rookie pick him , then he is suddenly playing for a team with good players , and i think he would go ok

I see West Coast the other day delisted Alex Witherden , hes 26 , kicks the ball nicely , moves ok , ive allways thought he is a player with a little bit of talent , but he has played with a horrendous team , worse side since Fitzroy of the early mid 1960s

If Geel rookie pick him , then he is suddenly playing for a team with good players , and i think he would go ok
Too small and slow

More than happy to trade out of next years draft. Aside from academy picks it looks very thin. I’d be grabbing some quality this year if we can and getting an extra year of development in.
I would be keen.in trading next years 1st. But all depends if we aim to bring in a guy like Oliver or Zac Butters ( which i think is a bull 💩)

I would be keen.in trading next years 1st. But all depends if we aim to bring in a guy like Oliver or Zac Butters ( which i think is a bull 💩)

I tend to think it’s unlikely with Butters. I’m sure we have expressed interest to his manager but I dare say 16 other clubs have too.

Who knows whether there will be a sequel to our “pursuit” of Oliver.

We will almost certainly be bringing in a key forward in this draft. Who we go with will be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back