Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Which is becoming a habit for Geelong. Last year we were the last team still choosing players after all other teams had dropped out. The same will happen this year. You can hope to find a rough diamond with these late picks but you'll mostly get list fillers for the VFL team who will be jettisoned after a couple of years.It would be interesting to see some analysis on how many of our late draft picks ever play a game of AFL.

Our record with our late picks is by and large better than our record with our r1s.

The problem is Mannagh was absolutely dominant at VFL level and there aren't any mature age options nearly as good as him this year. We'd be much more likely to get a Hardie than a Mannagh.

Look mannagh I agree was as dominant as any vfl player since pods and there are few like that. But Davidson has been very good and the track record with that medal has been good and henderson really impressed me in the finals so there are options.

We use a lot more late picks then early picks, and our early ones aren't that early to begin with

That's true but if you look at our r1s since say 2010ish compared to our late picks we do pretty well with late value.

The cupboard is so bare now that I think we need a readymade ruck. Stanley is so cooked and Conway doesn't have the durability. All of our other options are just workarounds.

I agree and personally I would go ready-made as I think Stanley and blitz are pretty cooked ruck wise and Conway doesn't have the endurance due to injury.
But I can see us drafting another kid ruck (hence pike) and just relying on sdk next year (which I don't like).

Just a slight over reaction...

There were 15 selections taken from 50 pick last year:
  • 2 picks each for St Kilda, Brisbane & Port
  • 3 picks for Geelong

So 4 teams taking 9 of the last 15 picks; that's a bit different to "Geelong still choosing after all other teams had dropped out"

And seems there was a few diamonds in the rough late in last years draft

View attachment 2150128
Humphries the best in that list by far... But I reckon Stevens will be one of our favourites in years to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well when you put our midfield in a graphic like this, gotta say, makes me pretty excited in the pants - especially that top row:

View attachment 2150497

Cuthrie is cooked and Danger can't play every week.
I also think Bowes is on the edge (but one of him or Atkins could find a home in defence).

I think that we really need Clark and knevitt to come on this year and we need to trade in another quality mid at end 2025. Maybe this is one reason to draft someone like henderson and slot him in.

Essendon may look at trading out 28 and 31 combined for a future 1st was one suggestion I have heard.

28 will go on matching if kako is bid early. I reckon they trade one of their future 1sts to get back in (maybe with gws at 15) once they match.

Have been told we are keen on Jayden Davey from Essendon who has been delisted.

Would be as a rookie I'd assume as fairly tight for senior list spots given we signed a few old guys.

If no one takes him, maybe we bring him home and sign him to our VFL squad to monitor. Thought he was doing okay at North

He's not afl standard ever but he's a good person and a great trainer. Would be worth looking at for the vfl list for leadership, ditto Cooper Stephens really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back