Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

I think Mannagh plays more mid this year (allowing someone like Jack Martin to come in), Bowes acts as a utility, and Cuthrie plays defence to keep him out of the mids in prolong his career. Also reckon Mullin off a big pre-season could be looked at as a mid too.

Agree that one of Knevitt, Clark, Clohesy or Stevens needs to come through this year to really turn over the next 'wave' of our mids. Henderson would fit the strategy I was discussing, as would a Heron or a Bice.

Honestly think that this pre-season could be one of our most interesting in a long time, as a lot of spots are up for grabs, and if you've got the talent and drive, you'll be able to take one. As an example, Only the top row will be guaranteed to play Round 1. Atkins in particular will get pushed out soon I reckon, as he doesn't seem too comfortable in defence - and there are other with more strings to their bow who could go through the mids.
Knevitt stepped up bigtime late last year. He absolutely dominated in his last 2 or 3 VFL games. His 193cm height gives him such an advantage. He looks like a much better prospect than Clark and Clohesy. Clark had a really ordinary 2024 and has a long way to go to justify his number 8 draft slot. Clohesy tries hard but is on the slow side and reminds me a lot of Tom Atkins. He has one thing over Atkins, his ability to occasionally hit the scoreboard.

Thats second rate and you know it. The fact that Stewart is in there sends alarm bells.

I agree in regards to Stewart. He simply isn't a midfielder and it was virtually out of necessity did we move our 2nd best player from a preferable dominant position to midfield.

If we are relying on him to play there again next year, we have issues.
Thankfully, it won't be the case.

I agree in regards to Stewart. He simply isn't a midfielder and it was virtually out of necessity did we move our 2nd best player from a preferable dominant position to midfield.

If we are relying on him to play there again next year, we have issues.
Thankfully, it won't be the case.

We must have been watching a different player. I thought he was phenomenal in there - as did most footy commentators/analysts/coaches who were handing out votes.

1729688315780.png

He literally picked up coach's votes in 7 of the 9 games after he went into the midfield. He missed the Freo game, and the West Coast game he was gone at half time.

I think it's an evolution of his game, as did our coaching staff and oppo coaches. This narrative of 'oh we're in trouble if he's in the mids' as such a misnomer.' He and Danger literally turned our season around and had us Top 4 in all midfield categories re: Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne. Also had us minutes from a Grand Final.

But each to their own. At least you're not trying to tell me what my opinion is, lol.

We must have been watching a different player. I thought he was phenomenal in there - as did most footy commentators/analysts/coaches who were handing out votes.

View attachment 2150641

He literally picked up coach's votes in 7 of the 9 games after he went into the midfield. He missed the Freo game, and the West Coast game he was gone at half time.

I think it's an evolution of his game, as did our coaching staff and oppo coaches. This narrative of 'oh we're in trouble if he's in the mids' as such a misnomer.' He and Danger literally turned our season around and had us Top 4 in all midfield categories re: Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne. Also had us minutes from a Grand Final.

But each to their own. At least you're not trying to tell me what my opinion is, lol.

No doubt he was excellent but his style of game as a midfielder just doesn't look natural. He's always reactive and that is innate as he has spent the bulk of his career as a defender.
He is going on 32 and that's about the time most midfielders lose a yard. I'd be a little disappointed if he is ahead of a Bruhn or Clark during the middle stages of next season.

I think his move to midfield served a purpose but now we have acquired Smith, I think he will retake his defensive duties again.

Knevitt stepped up bigtime late last year. He absolutely dominated in his last 2 or 3 VFL games. His 193cm height gives him such an advantage. He looks like a much better prospect than Clark and Clohesy. Clark had a really ordinary 2024 and has a long way to go to justify his number 8 draft slot. Clohesy tries hard but is on the slow side and reminds me a lot of Tom Atkins. He has one thing over Atkins, his ability to occasionally hit the scoreboard.
Closesy kicked multiple goals in multiple games last year. I’d say he’s better than occasionally hitting the score board.

I’d agree he’s a better version of Atkins. He’s not most skilled and does not has the highest ceiling but in every VFL game I watched and that was 95% of them Clohesy gave 125% all game long, laid tackles at every contest and was Selwood like on the he specifically would always try and get the ball forward.

I’ll get shit for the Selwood reference and fair call but Ted does, in the specific condition im referring to, remind me of his play.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that clubs are going to flounder into it, and sell those picks for a pittance. Their present value is little at the time of the trade, but devastating if they're actually needed.

I have not done a study of it oversea but when I watch movies like “Draft Day”. it fills me with dread. As it seems likely clubs will worry about tomorrow when it arrives and get what they want today. If we could access 2026 this year would we have Oliver on our list now?

I only saw Wiltshire late in the year when he came back from injury. Did not see anything to make me think he would still be on the list in 2026. Hope I am wrong.

I saw all of his games, much like Humphries, Wiltshire is a fierce competitor that wants the ball in his hands. I think in the semi final v Southport he had 20 disposals and kicked 0.3. The match replay is available on the AFL website if interested.

I like Wiltshire, hoping he can can get a full preseason in and we can see if he has that gut running ability you need to play a high half forward role.

He reads the ball drop well and has good positioning for a young player.

I only saw his finals games, but I thought he was a positive in what was a pretty miserable two weeks for a lot of our younger players (Knevitt aside).

I think he will be fine if injury free, but another injury year and he will be in trouble.

I suspect that clubs are going to flounder into it, and sell those picks for a pittance. Their present value is little at the time of the trade, but devastating if they're actually needed.
You're giving club leadership enough rope to hang themselves, and for a great many of those leaders the benefit of the drafted players that are still in year 10 at time of trade is well outside their expected tenure so why not tie a noose?

Oh f*ck off mate. Don't tell me what I apparently 'know', in such a condescending fashion, and then pretend that your world-view is objectively correct and what everyone else's should be. Such a boomer move.
Talk about an overreaction. Tony Barber only said that our midfield was still second-rate, and frankly I agree.

I like Wiltshire, hoping he can can get a full preseason in and we can see if he has that gut running ability you need to play a high half forward role.

He reads the ball drop well and has good positioning for a young player.

I only saw his finals games, but I thought he was a positive in what was a pretty miserable two weeks for a lot of our younger players (Knevitt aside).

I think he will be fine if injury free, but another injury year and he will be in trouble.
It's the fact that he is 22 for mine that rings alarm bells. If it was going to happen...

Talk about an overreaction. Tony Barber only said that our midfield was still second-rate, and frankly I agree.

That's your opinion and that's fine. I don't appreciate others telling me what my own opinion is, and then spouting it as fact. Just because both of you think that it's 'second-rate', doesn't make it gospel. It irks me when someone says 'you know this'...when my opinion is antithetical to their own. I don't know that, I don't think that, and someone trying to force me/shame me into bending to what they view as an objective fact - when it is just an opinion - is a shitty way to be.

That's your opinion and that's fine. I don't appreciate others telling me what my own opinion is, and then spouting it as gospel. Just because both of you think that it's 'second-rate', doesn't make it gospel. It irks me when someone says 'you know this'...when my opinion is antithetical to their own. I don't know that, I don't think that, and someone trying to force me/shame me into bending to what they view as an objective fact - when it is just an opinion - is a shitty way to be.
Telling someone to **** off because they disagree with your opinion on a footy team is silly, though. They didn't tell you what your opinion is, they just disagreed with you.

Look, Tony Barber and I don't always agree, but this is a real overreaction.

I have not done a study of it oversea but when I watch movies like “Draft Day”. it fills me with dread. As it seems likely clubs will worry about tomorrow when it arrives and get what they want today. If we could access 2026 this year would we have Oliver on our list now?

There is a time value of draft picks, in a similar way to a time value of money,

It is caused by list managers wiliness to selling picks that might "vest" well after they leave, rather than inflation.

Good modelling will be required to minimise risk, black swan events could makes huge expected winners and loser. There are lot less lynch pin players in AFL then their are in NBA or NFL.

There is a huge trade off between the certainty of a player in hand vs a draft pick with a (30% rate) in three years, that has a chance at being a top 3 pick.

I'm waiting for the draft data of the last 5-10 years to mature but to my eye clubs as a cohort are a lot better at avoiding outright duds with earlier picks. Which does help somewhat when making decisions.

Predictability is essential when making these types of decisions

2nd and 3rd round picks two years in advance will be nearly worthless

Telling someone to **** off because they disagree with your opinion on a footy team is silly, though. They didn't tell you what your opinion is, they just disagreed with you.

Look, Tony Barber and I don't always agree, but this is a real overreaction.

No, their exact words were 'it's a second rate midfield and you know it

The italicized is what I take issue with. No-one has a right to decide what someone else thinks. It's a forcible statement, rather than one that says 'mmm I'm not sure I agree, I reckon our midfield is second-rate.' Becomes his own opinion. By inserting 'you know it', you change the conversation and make it a dogmatic one (expressing opinions very strongly or positively as if they were facts) - rather than an interaction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back