Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

How many DFAs have turned into anything more than fringe players at best? Stengle but he was delisted for non football reasons. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

We don't need depth. Nobody from the prelim is retiring. SDK, O'Connor and Guthrie were on the sidelines, Martin and Smith are coming in and guys like O'Sullivan, Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy, and Conway are a year older and better.

I'd much prefer to role the dice on a kid late in the draft than any of these.

At Geelong or in general?

Technically, Menegola was a DFA

- Oleg Markov was a pretty handy pickup for Collingwood, especially last year during their premiership run

- Jack Newnes joined Carlton as a DFA following the 2019 season and played 52 games for them across 3 seasons

- Josh Walker, after starting his career with us was traded to Brisbane and after they cut him he was picked up as a DFA by North - over 3 seasons with them he played 56 games (the most at any of his 3 clubs), kicked 6 goals but spent most of his time in defence and retired following the 2022 season

Can we also count delisted players who were selected as part of the SSP prior to the start of the season as technically, they would have been available as DFA

- Mason Wood has turned into a super reliable player for St Kilda after being delisted by North

- Liam Stoker has been another positive recruit for the Saints; just the 28 games for Carlton across 4 seasons and he's already played 39 across his two seasons at the Saints

- Jeremy Sharp didn't play a senior game for GC in 2023 and after being picked up by Freo earlier this year went on to play 23 matches for them, becoming a main stay in their side

There's also the Irish recruits like Connor McKenna & Mark Keane who both left their original clubs to return to Ireland before making their way back to the AFL via the SSP

This is only looking back as far as 2019 - there's generally been some success each year with the selection of delisted players, either directly as DFA or subsequently their selection as SSPs
Lachie Bramble is one of the current successful DFA

Tom Stewart has previously said that if he was drafted as an 18yr old that he wouldn't have lasted in the league

Yeah that is an interesting admission by Stewart

I can remember some media bloke asked Neil Balme when he was football manager at Geelong , re Podsiadly , why didnt he make it at Collingwood ( because Balme was football manager at the Magpies at the time ) when Pods was their

And Balme in his straight forward fashion just said , look i dont think he was possibly mature enough at the time .

I see Max Knobel has been delisted by Freo with the promise of re-drafting him in the Rookie draft. Ruckman 206cms who apparently plays with a lot of mongrel. Maybe use our last draft pick on him ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back