Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Almost zero.

Very, very, very few players get "turned into" capable key forwards - it's the position on the ground that is most reliant on natural ability.

Shannon Neale is currently in that process, though he played as a ruck/forward as a junior. We did it with Harry Taylor and Ben Graham, though neither of them really looked natural as key forwards with the exception of Graham's final season at the Cattery in 2004.

It's one of the reasons why two-ruck setups have almost died out - because the old era of resting a ruckman in the forward pocket has gone the way of the dodo. Probably David Hale was the best at it from the modern era.

Hence why Jackson is worth the money Fremantle spent on him.
A capable two way bigman yet to hit his prime is what we all hope Neale or De Koning can become.

Any change Mitch edwards ends up a permanent forward at the level??? Much like Sam Darcy

He will play there a lot at vfl level next year partly to ease him in while his body develops and also bc our vfl forward line will have no talls (neale in the 1s foster and Brad the gone) but long term I think he's a ruck IF his body can bulk up and hold up.

Hence why Jackson is worth the money Fremantle spent on him.
A capable two way bigman yet to hit his prime is what we all hope Neale or De Koning can become.

Jackson might be worth it but it was madness giving Darcy 7 years on big money partly because of his knees but also bc you don't want to tie that much cash up in 2 rucks.

He will play there a lot at vfl level next year partly to ease him in while his body develops and also bc our vfl forward line will have no talls (neale in the 1s foster and Brad the gone) but long term I think he's a ruck IF his body can bulk up and hold up.
My understanding of why rucks get so many injuries early on is not as some people have suggested ( they are growing into their big frames) but the nature of the position.

Jumping or plyometrics is the highest form of intensity placed through your lower limbs. The amount of force that repetitively goes through a ruckmans legs in the first few years is quite an overload to the system.

For example during running the legs take aprox 4-5 times the force of your body weight, where as during jumping depending on the height you are placing between 5-8 times your body weight through your legs.

This leads to a lot of stress fractures tendon and muscular issues and ligament damage.

The amount of strength and conditioning required to handle such large volumes of load through your legs takes some length of time to condition.

Just a nice detail I thought you might like

Last edited:
Almost zero.

Very, very, very few players get "turned into" capable key forwards - it's the position on the ground that is most reliant on natural ability.

Shannon Neale is currently in that process, though he played as a ruck/forward as a junior. We did it with Harry Taylor and Ben Graham, though neither of them really looked natural as key forwards with the exception of Graham's final season at the Cattery in 2004.

It's one of the reasons why two-ruck setups have almost died out - because the old era of resting a ruckman in the forward pocket has gone the way of the dodo. Probably David Hale was the best at it from the modern era.

I think it is a matter of lopsided expectations, I did some percentile comparisons of the different positions a KPF that kicked half a goal a game was equivalent to an inside mid averaging 20 disposals. The latter has the appearance of contributing and will get further opportunities while the former has the perception of being utterly useless and probable de-list bait.

The investment required and opportunity is also quite lopsided, a KPF requires a lot more development then pretty much every position besides ruckmen, and new player is trying to break through a smaller group of more established players, at the mercy of what is happing elsewhere on the ground.

I think the 2 ruckmen set up has been killed by clubs mutually being willing to create a small weakness in their ruck rotations and the increased athleticism of rucks, there isn't too many Mark Blakes going around. To allow for an additional runner, clubs would rather have 80% of the required ruck then 160%, and have KPF take a few forward and defensive 50 stoppages. We occasionally see a two ruckmen set up, against a one ruckmen set up, there are circumstances where it works(it stops a player who is reliant on get their win from outworking their direct opponent) , but usually the two ruckmen provide a sum of a single role and nothing more.

I have a sneaking suspicion that your percentiles need a re-jig.

Not at all those were the numbers, a way to visualise it, an inside mid attending 20ish Centre bounces, around 80 around the ground stoppages, is around the ball a lot, competing against other players who are around the ball a lot.

Jackson might be worth it but it was madness giving Darcy 7 years on big money partly because of his knees but also bc you don't want to tie that much cash up in 2 rucks.

I agree.
It's already looking similar to the Oliver deal as Darcy is now tied up on huge money and his form is declining.

Certainly not the same player he was 2021-2022 when it looked as though he was about to become one of the premier rucks in the competition

This is a recent photo and it may be obvious why his form has dipped over the past 18 months

0f6583bc87f450ad2ef2646b5aa5e0fbc18e2252-16x9-x319y51w2061h1159.jpg

Was always a heavy lad (around 108kg) but he'd have to be getting up close to 115kg's at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back