List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our list is already in dire straights and losing Gibbs for unders would have been diabolical. If Reid and Roo had the "courage" to offer a better deal (not ridiculously overs) for Gibbs we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Gibbs would have been a Crow early Monday morning and we would have had some time to use those picks from you to find a suitable replacement for Gibbs.
Fact is Carlton wanted & planned to have Gibbs for another 3 years .......but the old adage is anything & anyone is available for the right price ....and that's generally well over market value

IMO Carlton were quite within their rights ......as long as the need to go home, was overstated by the Gibbs camp

They did. They made their final offer and left it. They thought Carlton would come back with something more reasonable because they wouldn't want an unhappy player at the club.
Yep they did at 1:25pm on the Thursday.

Cmon they were trying to convince Carlton up and to the last minute.

I know you love to back the club at every opportunity but you've got to at least be open to the idea they might have got it wrong, otherwise you are just a puppet.

Transparency. So we know they are actually doing their job. Also what does it matter who was offered up? Both parties would have consented.
We actually find out if they are doing their job in hindsight, plenty of supposedly good moves at the time are really poor decisions in hindsight and vise versa. The only people who really know at this point if Reid was poor in trade week are in the list management committee.

Yes all parties have to consent but there is no point involving the player unless you know the other club is keen first, players can get their noses out of joint fairly easily, as it is there is 6-7 names bandied around and no one knows who really was offered up or not.

Last edited:
If you can't see that "organic growth" is a slogan to cover up our trade failings you are very naive.

They wanted quality mids but couldn't achieve it. Ask Roo what he said when the season finished.
The thing about the whole organic growth thing is that it suggests we have a significant emphasis on bringing young players into the team and getting them up to speed. We dont. We persevere woth ordinary senior players and only bring in young blokes almost as a last resort.

If the club is serious about organic growth we are going to need to see a dramatic change of direction on Thursday nights.

The thing about the whole organic growth thing is that it suggests we have a significant emphasis on bringing young players into the team and getting them up to speed. We dont. We persevere woth ordinary senior players and only bring in young blokes almost as a last resort.

If the club is serious about organic growth we are going to need to see a dramatic change of direction on Thursday nights.
That's exactly right, where was our organic growth last year?

We did have organic growth last season. We lost the midfielder in the comp and still improved. Atkins, Cameron, Lever improved, McGovern emerged, Laird took it too another level. Now we are going to need Knight, Milera, Menzel and Hampton cement spots in the side. Given that this is what Roo is signalling, I would be most disappointed if underperforming mids are given too much latitude next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see... We lost the best player in the league, most pundits believed we would only win 8-10 games max., but we won 17 games without organic growth? Who was the big players we traded in last year that gave us 17 wins?
I like your ardour but, sometimes you do talk shit.:D(no offense meant)

Let's see... We lost the best player in the league, most pundits believed we would only win 8-10 games max., but we won 17 games without organic growth? Who was the big players we traded in last year that gave us 17 wins?
I like your ardour but, sometimes you do talk shit.:D(no offense meant)
That's all well and good but the one area that let us down against the big boys was the midfield. Do you disagree or am I talking shit?

Last edited:
That's all well and good but the one area that led us down against the big boys was the midfield. Do you disagree or am I talking shit?
Oh I agree with that. No argument there. And, if getting Gibbs would have guaranteed a flag next year, I would have offered Carlton Sloane, Tex and both 1st round picks. But, if I remember correctly, even you agrees that 2 1sts would have been too much.

Yeah I meant hijack them, get off the drugs with force. What I meant make it attractive enough that they couldn't say no and want to come.

You talk about the risk of losing players, you not what helps retain players? The chance of success. The Geelong and Hawks eras were built on stars taking unders to keep the team together and win flags. I'm sure the Levers and co would substitute a bit of coin to win premierships.

The time frame of the trade period didn't work though did it?

Yeah we are different, we haven't played in a grand final since 1998.

If you're an A-grade talent, you have 18 clubs wanting you to come to them, due to the laws of the game, there's not much extra any of them can do to make them more attractive than the other 17. Most of those players have families who they need to consider if they are changing clubs, so at the end of the day the players choose where they want to live, before they choose who they want to play for.

Simply saying "do better" is not a very intelligent thing to say.

Would you move you family interstate to a city you have no affection towards if you can get a job just as good in your home state?

Unless you expect the AFC to turn Adelaide and SA into a state and city that all Australians want to live in, you're just making pointless statements, because there is nothing the AFC can do that 17 other clubs can't do.

If they hadn't have shat their dacks, they could have done something like we proposed days before the end.

I don't think GC really win, they would back themselves to get Lyons in the PSD with the salary they were offering and their early pick, it just gives them less points for their academy kids with Jack Bows a top 5 candidate.

If they hadn't have shat their dacks, they could have done something like we proposed days before the end.
Odds were, as minuscule as they may have been ....that at some stage you were going to be right

If you're an A-grade talent, you have 18 clubs wanting you to come to them, due to the laws of the game, there's not much extra any of them can do to make them more attractive than the other 17. Most of those players have families who they need to consider if they are changing clubs, so at the end of the day the players choose where they want to live, before they choose who they want to play for.

Simply saying "do better" is not a very intelligent thing to say.

Would you move you family interstate to a city you have no affection towards if you can get a job just as good in your home state?

Unless you expect the AFC to turn Adelaide and SA into a state and city that all Australians want to live in, you're just making pointless statements, because there is nothing the AFC can do that 17 other clubs can't do.
Fact is Geelong has no problems attracting players ......and have you seen Geelong lately, not too flash

That is assumed that Adelaide did not try that or something similar. Unless you believe that they should tell everybody every deal they try and that does not come off. Or does everybody know that everybody at the crows are imbeciles and would not have thought of such things.
On second thought, the latter seams very plausible. At least according to quite a few posters in here.

That is assumed that Adelaide did not try that or something similar. Unless you believe that they should tell everybody every deal they try and that does not come off. Or does everybody know that everybody at the crows are imbeciles and would not have thought of such things.
On second thought, the latter seams very plausible. At least according to quite a few posters in here.
Lyons didn't come out until 2 days to go and say he wanted to go to the Suns. I think this is a fair indication of what our club didn't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back