List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually he'd cost more because we'd have to pay 100% of his salary, unlike this year

We'd also have to commit long term to him, unlike this year

This year was the time to strike

I think he is out of contract so we would negotiate a new contract which would be less

Your wrong there, in the past yes, on this occasion it was definitely instigated by Bryce and his management.
Now now let's be sensible. There is nothing " definite" about it at all.

Wasn't Justin Reid Bryce's manager at some point in the past ? And, when he was the manager, didn't he work at the organisation at which Bryce's current manager now works?

As to who actually approached who first there is no reliable evidence. However it appears that Bryce's management informed Adelaide on the eve of the trade period that he would like to be traded to Adelaide.

Let's be grown up and adult about this, a player of Bryce's ability and apparent integrity who, according to his father, has be treated " fantastically" by Carlton is not likely to cold call Adelaide out of the blue (pardon the pun) on the eve of a trade period when he has 3 years to run on a lucrative contract.

Let's get real people. There is nothing "definite" about the lead up to the trade request.

And now they have a player who does not want to be there and that they have let down. Not the best recipe for getting the best out of someone

He's on a boys trip with Murph and co in the states.
A few bevies and he'll be right.
A whiskey with Bolts, Sos and co and they can move on.

He's a high paid professional, come round one he'll be ready to go, if not for anything more then to make himself more attractive to the TWO prospective SA teams. If Bryce wants to go back to Adelaide, fine, but there is a second team there too and they will be much better placed in 12 months to make an offer, and I can see SOS leveraging that against you. This year they were hamstrung with the salary cap, might be a better proposition in 12 months.

That's great but I think Joe Public can quite properly judge the final result, particularly when Joe Public may be a member that pours thousands of $$ into the club directly and indirectly with TV or Internet subscriptions.

The sum result of a years planning and 2 weeks of running around was trading out a best 22 mid for 43.

I think the extent of failure speaks for itself

JL is not best 22. That is what he is worth. Personally don't see moving him on for that as any failure. Gold Coast could have grabbed him in the PSD as it is obvious we didnt really want him with the contract we offered him. If guys like Milera, Menzel, and Hampton are up and about next year JL does not make our team. A failure would be for him to walk via the PSD to another club.

The end result not getting Gibbs was a stalemate. Yes we failed in getting him, but we also failed in overpaying for him.

Our failure is in not being able to get a fallback once knowing we would not get Gibbs. A guy like Rocky or even Jack Steele would have been handy. This is where I see the failure of the Trade Period. But without knowing how we went about trying to get such deals done, and why not done it is hard to judge.

He's a high paid professional, come round one he'll be ready to go, if not for anything more then to make himself more attractive to the TWO prospective SA teams. If Bryce wants to go back to Adelaide, fine, but there is a second team there too and they will be much better placed in 12 months to make an offer, and I can see SOS leveraging that against you. This year they were hamstrung with the salary cap, might be a better proposition in 12 months.
We will have moved on to another one of your players by then.

#feederclub

:rolleyes:
Hahaha
A Gibbs playing for the Powa, I'd love to see that!!

JL is not best 22. That is what he is worth. Personally don't see moving him on for that as any failure. Gold Coast could have grabbed him in the PSD as it is obvious we didnt really want him with the contract we offered him. If guys like Milera, Menzel, and Hampton are up and about next year JL does not make our team. A failure would be for him to walk via the PSD to another club.

The end result not getting Gibbs was a stalemate. Yes we failed in getting him, but we also failed in overpaying for him.

Our failure is in not being able to get a fallback once knowing we would not get Gibbs. A guy like Rocky or even Jack Steele would have been handy. This is where I see the failure of the Trade Period. But without knowing how we went about trying to get such deals done, and why not done it is hard to judge.
Not best 22? That's funny I could have sworn I saw him running around for us almost all this year. Reckon he was 19th in club champion which would be adjusted North on a votes per game basis.

But yes I agree a player is only worth what someone will pay.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes but I do know how it ended up. It was a fail, and any objective observer would agree

I think the old man is dreaming. That's it now. He wont ever be coming home. His appeal will be gone this time next year. This was the last chance.

Don't think anyone will have won from the result either. We didn't get him, he didn't get home and Carlton will be uncompetitive for the rest of his career.

To be blunt about it. I don't know why Carlton valued him so highly at this point of their evolution. He isn't worth 2 first rounders to anyone else contracted or not, because he just doesn't represent that level of return. Not sure why they think he is. Anyway good luck to them, he's all theirs.

Hear Hear!!
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...rrett-has-a-dig-at-the-afl-over-trade-period/
Damian Barrett
has had a dig at the AFL over the final moments of the trade period.

The AFL world was bombarded with late trades on Thursday, with deals being processed after the two o'clock deadline.

With 10 minutes left, none of the deals involving Jaeger O'Meara, Brett Deledio, Rhys Palmer, Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett or Koby Stevens had been processed.

And Barrett, speaking on The Weekend Breakfast with Seb Costello, wasn't too pleased.

"Even the deadline that passed beyond two o'clock (on the final day of trade period) - now again, you've had six months when it's all said and done about getting these deals done," he said.

"Two o'clock comes and there was still three big names not on that board at 2:00 when the deadline came. The AFL will say ‘okay, it’s just paperwork being processed’, but at the same time, how long do you need?

"They will allow things to go through when it suits them, and they will crack down on other things when it also suits them."

I think the old man is dreaming. That's it now. He wont ever be coming home. His appeal will be gone this time next year. This was the last chance.

Don't think anyone will have won from the result either. We didn't get him, he didn't get home and Carlton will be uncompetitive for the rest of his career.

To be blunt about it. I don't know why Carlton valued him so highly at this point of their evolution. He isn't worth 2 first rounders to anyone else contracted or not, because he just doesn't represent that level of return. Not sure why they think he is. Anyway good luck to them, he's all theirs.

Agree I cant see him coming home now unless something monumental happens in his personal life and the players association steps in to mediate a trade.

12 months from now silly SOSage will still be a campaigner demanding two firsts. No one should kid themselves otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, it's my first post so be gentle. I've been following this trade like everyone else and thought it would be great for the club. However I've always rated Gibbs as a B+ mid. I would have choked on my own vomit if the club had given up 2 first round picks. 2 first rounders should get you a genuine match winner, I know Carlton supporters say we needed to pay overs because of the contract but that just highlighted the fact we were putting in an offer for Gibbs, not Fyfe, Bont or Martin. I'm a Gibbs fan, but the club did the right thing IMO

The Crows supporters on here would be grateful if you could draft another SA kid with your picks.

I personally think your Club will pay in the long run for the handling of Gibbs, you may have won a small battle, but you will lose in the long run. Non-Victorian players are going to be very reluctant to signing multi year deals to your Club in fear of the Gibbs fiasco. Terrible form in all honesty, yes I am biased, but the fact that Gibbs father has come out publicly and made statements about this issue suggests to me there must have been some truth about his personal problems and the need to return home.

Reported by whom? The only report I have read that states this, has been from Carlton posters in here. There has been nothing said by Carlton itself that stated they would have accepted 13 and a second. They have not refuted Adelaide's claims that they would only accept 2 1sts. I do not understand why/especially crows supporters would rather believe shit from Carlton supporters and innuendos instead of what has been stated by the Carlton FC itself.

Carlton don't have to refute anything. They got what they want

Agree I cant see him coming home now unless something monumental happens in his personal life and the players association steps in to mediate a trade.

12 months from now silly SOSage will still be a campaigner demanding two firsts. No one should kid themselves otherwise.
I love how you amateurs know EVERYTHING. Lucky you lot don't manage actual club lists!!!

The Crows supporters on here would be grateful if you could draft another SA kid with your picks.

I personally think your Club will pay in the long run for the handling of Gibbs, you may have won a small battle, but you will lose in the long run. Non-Victorian players are going to be very reluctant to signing multi year deals to your Club in fear of the Gibbs fiasco. Terrible form in all honesty, yes I am biased, but the fact that Gibbs father has come out publicly and made statements about this issue suggests to me there must have been some truth about his personal problems and the need to return home.
Players and clubs should not sign such large multi year contracts full stop. Anyway it won't be long before, in substance if not in form, there is universal free trade.

It's always up to the buyer to make it happen not the seller.

How do you figure that ??:D
Everything - EVERYTHING - in the world is only worth what people are prepared to pay - cars houses people ! !

Otherwise nothing would get sold - which is what happened here.

Whether through spite or incompetence - your club valued Gibbs higher than mine

I happen to agree with my club

It really wasn't

They didn't want to make a deal, we did. Responsibility is with us

It is not if you are paying more than you think he's worth.

The disputes here is not over who should have done what but what Gibbs was worth

That's the divide

"Slight overs" hahaha. Two firsts was sadomasochistic for a 28 year old who has achieved, frankly, nothing.

You burned us. Well done. Slow clap. But you mainly burned your rebuild out of a First and a Second round pick in order to keep a guy with 3 years left at your club against his will. When the w anchor testosterone wears off in round 4 2017 you can all bow at the feet of Silvani and acknowledge how stupid that was
:thumbsu:
Precisely
Keeping someone who doesn't want to be there is sheer stupidity

Gibbs while good - is not going to win Adelaide a flag

I love how you amateurs know EVERYTHING. Lucky you lot don't manage actual club lists!!!

The amateur is yourself and your silly SoSage.

If this bites Carlton in the arse and Gibbs personal situation is exacerbated, there will be a lot of scrutiny in the way silly SOSage handled this particular trade.

Players and clubs should not sign such large multi year contracts full stop. Anyway it won't be long before, in substance if not in form, there is universal free trade.

SOS has planted the seed of doubt for multi year future contracts at your Club thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back