Gibbs requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But in all seriousness, this is a bloody good get for the Crows. No need to be greedy and suggest that Gibbs is 28 and thus you should only offer crappy picks. Lyons is a nice player but he is replaceable. CEY has some skills but he could not break into your midfield this yr despite the corpse of ST being there. Pick 13 is a solid pick but id be handing that over in a heartbeat to get a player of Gibbs' calibre. Just need someone like Wigg etc to breakout and Atkins to take another step and you're midfield is now looking pretty good. Some of your key guys getting into late 20s, rather bring Gibbs on board and have a crack at the Premiership than take my chances with a rookie at pick 13.
Of our keys only Jacobs, Betts and Gibbs are 28 or over.

Exactly what we need if we are serious about the next few years. Exactly.
We cant get what he will bring many other ways. If any.
Has taken me since gf day toncome to grips with it.

Happy to see 13 go if steak knives are even enough.
Happy to see crazy shit if its needed.... jenkins or mclovin for instance.

We need to get this done for our next few seasons to be what weve been working towards.

We will, but will hurt a little.

True. But in all seriousness, this is a bloody good get for the Crows. No need to be greedy and suggest that Gibbs is 28 and thus you should only offer crappy picks. Lyons is a nice player but he is replaceable. CEY has some skills but he could not break into your midfield this yr despite the corpse of ST being there. Pick 13 is a solid pick but id be handing that over in a heartbeat to get a player of Gibbs' calibre. Just need someone like Wigg etc to breakout and Atkins to take another step and you're midfield is now looking pretty good. Some of your key guys getting into late 20s, rather bring Gibbs on board and have a crack at the Premiership than take my chances with a rookie at pick 13.
Salient

I can't think of many players who didn't get to their club of destination after requesting a trade. Sounds like it will get done and the Crows and Carlton have decent trading history between them.
Ryan O'Keefe requested a trade to Carlton a few years back. It didn't happen. He re-signed with Sydney and finished his career with the COLAs.

Doesn't happen very often, but there are precedents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please, we just dealt with trading Dangerfield... don't come here and tell us what we can and can't offer.
did Dangerfield have 3 years left on his contract? you can't expect to pay unders. It has to be a win/win. Adding a Gibbs to your list your premiership window is wide open. He is 28 but very durable, and he can win matches. Just not as often as we'd like. With a better midfield around him he will wreak havoc.

Please, we just dealt with trading Dangerfield... don't come here and tell us what we can and can't offer.

Dangerfield was out of contract - there was the threat (however unlikely) of walking to the preseason draft if a deal didn't get done. We had very little leverage there. Gibbs still has 3 years of his contract left, if Carlton aren't happy they'll just keep him - they have a lot of leverage.

That said, I think pick 13 is fair enough - he's got about 3 good years left in him, and Carlton won't be challenging during those 3 years anyway. They take pick 13 and get a player who will be in their best 22 when their time does come as well as freeing up space on their list and in their salary cap for the other players they're looking at bringing in. We give up 13 and get a player we need now.

Anybody who thinks Gibbs is worth 2 first rounders is utterly deluded, though.

Dangerfield was out of contract - there was the threat (however unlikely) of walking to the preseason draft if a deal didn't get done. We had very little leverage there. Gibbs still has 3 years of his contract left, if Carlton aren't happy they'll just keep him - they have a lot of leverage.

That said, I think pick 13 is fair enough - he's got about 3 good years left in him, and Carlton won't be challenging during those 3 years anyway. They take pick 13 and get a player who will be in their best 22 when their time does come as well as freeing up space on their list and in their salary cap for the other players they're looking at bringing in. We give up 13 and get a player we need now.

Anybody who thinks Gibbs is worth 2 first rounders is utterly deluded, though.

Nah, on their board, they want Milera, Crouch and Shooter...................an pick 13:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back