Gibbs requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if his has been posted before [apologies if it has] but interesting take on the Bryce Gibbs trade scenario by Champion Data's Jacob Wilson...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/gibbs-requests-trade-to-adelaide.1148568/page-198

CARLTON may be unable to offload homesick midfielder Bryce Gibbs if it cannot find a suitable trade with his preferred club of Adelaide.

But one leading AFL analyst is surprised the Blues didn’t accept the Crows’ reported first offer.

Adelaide initially offered their first round pick (13), which is likely to be apart of any deal for Gibbs, as well as out-of-contract midfielder Jarryd Lyons.

But that bid was swiftly rejected by Carlton in a move that surprised Champion Data’s Jacob Wilson.

“It surprises me that Carlton wouldn’t accept Jarryd Lyons as Lyons and Gibbs are very similar players,” Wilson told the Fox Footy podcast.

“There were eight players in the league last year who rated as elite for goals and assists coming out of the midfield — one of them was Bryce Gibbs, another was Jarryd Lyons.

“He provides a lot that Gibbs already does and he’s four years younger.”

Gibbs’ statistics were excellent in 2016, with the Blue averaging 26.8 disposals (9.5 contested) and kicking 18 goals in 22 games. Lyons was also solid averaging 21.6 disposals (10.4 contested) and booting 15 goals in 20 matches.

But perhaps surprisingly, according to Champion Data’s closely guarded player ratings, Lyons was rated “slightly above” Gibbs in 2016.

“He (Lyons) wins a bit more contested ball and does most of his work in the forward half, (plus) he’s a bit more clean with the ball,” Wilson explained.

“In 2015 he was playing as a sub a lot but if you normalise his numbers out over a full match, his numbers were great in that year as well.

“Jarryd Lyons I feel is a very underrated player by Carlton and if they offered me (Pick) 13 and Lyons, I’d do that deal in a heartbeat.”

Carlton has reportedly asked for young players such as Charlie Cameron and/or Mitch McGovern in exchange for Gibbs.

But the deal has hit several snags with Adelaide seemingly unwilling to give up those players, nor the players themselves wishing to be traded to the Blues.

The trade could be a goldmine for the Crows with Wilson stating Gibbs could be the perfect player for the South Australian club as it looks for the final piece of the premiership puzzle.

“Bryce Gibbs would be a great fit for Adelaide because they’ve already got all of those bulls inside with the Crouches (Matt and Brad), (Scott) Thompson and (Rory) Sloane,” Wilson said.

“Gibbs is more of that uncontested style (of player) than what they currently have.”

Our alleged offering structure doesn't make sense. I believe that it is commonly accepted that our current offer is 13 alone. However, why would we start with a better offer of 13+Lyons and then downgrade it? This would be against all bidding strategies which are to start low and increase. Something must be wrong somewhere in these reports.

Just to lighten the mood up b4 a hectic week .......but is this synonymous with Carlton / Adelaide trade discussions??
Here's a follow up question .....in this video, who's Carlton and who's Adelaide??

Our alleged offering structure doesn't make sense. I believe that it is commonly accepted that our current offer is 13 alone. However, why would we start with a better offer of 13+Lyons and then downgrade it? This would be against all bidding strategies which are to start low and increase. Something must be wrong somewhere in these reports.
You mean not all media reports are correct, well I'm shocked.

I don't think anyone really knows the situation behind closed doors. As you say those things don't match so confirms those reports aren't all right.

Likely We either offered Lyons and 13 and they said McGovern CC etc instead of Lyons and we said no and it's the addition to pick 13 being debated still

Or if pick 13 is in fact our current stance then maybe if the initial offer was Lyond and13 then we also wanted a 2/3 round pick back in return which has also been reported. They said no Lyond so we said 13 alone.

Hell, some reports are we didn't offer 13 but a package involving a 2nd rounder (presumedly in a trade for Lyond or a future pick)in which career could have moved up from that to 13.

So many possibilities most of which have likely been discussed at some point.

Many Reports will mislead. I'm confident we know our price. We may have started low, they may have started high but at the end of the day it doesn't matter how hard either negotiates they will either come to a point those prices overlap and do a deal or we will be prepared tow all away. In that situation it isCarlton who have an issue on their hands with Gibbs not us. So while people say they have all the power, if there is I trade they will have more issues come from that than we do

The idea that we would include one of our young guns + pick 13 is incogitable. No one has definite info that pick 13 alone has been on the table.

I don't believe we would do a straight swap of any of any of our young guns, Lyons included, for a 27.5 YO BG. Lyons figures for 2016 are roughly the same as Gibbs. While Gibbs is more an outside player than Lyons, he doesn't bring enough as a point of difference to make the trade worthwhile.

Charlie, McGovern, Lever, Crouch X 2 are our future. The mids mentioned have the potential to be as good or better than BG.

No one outside of the two clubs and possibly GWS has any clue what Carlton 1st asked or what we 1st offered. Media and Internet scuttlebutt is just that.

Patience, folks, all will be revealed in the fullness of time (Sunday is cliche day). I have a strong hunch that we will all be in for a pleasant surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean not all media reports are correct, well I'm shocked.

I don't think anyone really knows the situation behind closed doors. As you say those things don't match so confirms those reports aren't all right.

Likely We either offered Lyons and 13 and they said McGovern CC etc instead of Lyons and we said no and it's the addition to pick 13 being debated still

Or if pick 13 is in fact our current stance then maybe if the initial offer was Lyond and13 then we also wanted a 2/3 round pick back in return which has also been reported. They said no Lyond so we said 13 alone.

Hell, some reports are we didn't offer 13 but a package involving a 2nd rounder (presumedly in a trade for Lyond or a future pick)in which career could have moved up from that to 13.

So many possibilities most of which have likely been discussed at some point.

Many Reports will mislead. I'm confident we know our price. We may have started low, they may have started high but at the end of the day it doesn't matter how hard either negotiates they will either come to a point those prices overlap and do a deal or we will be prepared tow all away. In that situation it isCarlton who have an issue on their hands with Gibbs not us. So while people say they have all the power, if there is I trade they will have more issues come from that than we do
I suspect the deal has probably been hammered out over this weekend .....I'll be surprised if it's not resolved by Tuesday .....unless the GWS (Marchbank) deal is running in parallel to the Gibbs deal ?

The idea that we would include one of our young guns + pick 13 is incogitable. No one has definite info that pick 13 alone has been on the table.

I don't believe we would do a straight swap of any of any of our young guns, Lyons included, for a 27.5 YO BG. Lyons figures for 2016 are roughly the same as Gibbs. While Gibbs is more an outside player than Lyons, he doesn't bring enough as a point of difference to make the trade worthwhile.

Charlie, McGovern, Lever, Crouch X 2 are our future. The mids mentioned have the potential to be as good or better than BG.

No one outside of the two clubs and possibly GWS has any clue what Carlton 1st asked or what we 1st offered. Media and Internet scuttlebutt is just that.

Patience, folks, all will be revealed in the fullness of time (Sunday is cliche day). I have a strong hunch that we will all be in for a pleasant surprise.
The suggestions of those players + #13 is simply media driven .......Trade radio is a lot of air time to talk about trades that aren't happening ....so they dig up scenarios to get caller feedback to fill air-time

Nothing in it

I suspect the deal has probably been hammered out over this weekend .....I'll be surprised if it's not resolved by Tuesday .....unless the GWS (Marchbank) deal is running in parallel to the Gibbs deal ?
I've said before, the longer the deal drags on without Carlton having done the GWS deal, the more it helps us.

If they get the GWS done without the Gibbs trade then it evens out again or swings their way.

But if both deals are hanging, the more likely it is Carlton will need this trade to help the other and they won't be missing out on both deals so won't be able to dig their heels in as much

(Eg without 13 they need to deal 5 which is what GWS will be working deals around. If getting 13 allows them to keep 5 and land Marchbank they will need to act otherwise they walk away from both deals empty handed or lose a top pick which would be worth more than whatever steak knives they are going to get from us)

Our reputation for being 'good and fair' traders might be hurting us here.

Carlton are holding out knowing that we will offer someting even 'gooder and fairer'
The first week of trading is hardly holding out? .......you forget Trigg and Craig are involved here, hardly unfair traders

I've said before, the longer the deal drags on without Carlton having done the GWS deal, the more it helps us.

If they get the GWS done without the Gibbs trade then it evens out again or swings their way.

But if both deals are hanging, the more likely it is Carlton will need this trade to help the other and they won't be missing out on both deals so won't be able to dig their heels in as much

(Eg without 13 they need to deal 5 which is what GWS will be working deals around. If getting 13 allows them to keep 5 and land Marchbank they will need to act otherwise they walk away from both deals empty handed or lose a top pick which would be worth more than whatever steak knives they are going to get from us)
That's exactly the situation ......and Carlton would be mindful of another club coming in at the last minute and snaffling Marchbank (Essendon)

Didn't you say earlier in the week that Rockliff was no chance at all?

Hope it happens, if we can get Gibbs and Rocky.... I'll be over the moon and all in for 2017.

Yes and at the time, the chances of it happening were very slim. The Lions had to agree to pay a certain part of his outstanding salary and decrease their asking price.

The figure i'm hearing is 40% of his $800,000 they need to cover and only accept a second round pick as a trade.

When everyone on this site was saying - pay it all ($800,000 over 3 years) and hand over a first round pick. It was never going to happen.

But now, the Lions are talking about a second round pick and have openly accepted paying somew of his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back