Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the players need extra money to help them survive or stay anywhere interstate....whether its Sydney , Brissy or wherever.

..even if they are "only" on $100,000+ that is still more than the average you and I's of the world earn in a year. They should be able to cover rent costs etc, particularly if they are sharing a house with others as they often do.

I would much rather see any money from the AFL go into facilities and providing experienced staff as required.......and to build a rock solid environment around the players.

That way we can avoid (hopefully) any backlash from Eddie and his likeminded cronies down here, about retention allowances etc.

I would much rather see any money from the AFL go into facilities and providing experienced staff as required.......and to build a rock solid environment around the players.

That way we can avoid (hopefully) any backlash from Eddie and his likeminded cronies down here, about retention allowances etc.

The problem is that Collingwood can offer all that and more, plus the go home ticket. Player agents know it and will use it at contract time. Next minute, salary cap blown to all hell.

The big clubs have the advantages in every area. Not only are you likely to be paid more at Collingwood, but you will be a bigger name. You will have access to better facilities. Play in front of bigger crowds, play in bigger games. Sometimes you can retain players by having 1 thing over other clubs. The big clubs have many things over everyone else. When things are meant to be fair and equal and everyone is paid the same, the smaller things like facilities and crowds and games become much better selling points.

The problem is that Collingwood can offer all that and more, plus the go home ticket. Player agents know it and will use it at contract time. Next minute, salary cap blown to all hell.

The rise of the AFLPA has had many negative impacts that I do not believe were ever thought of or intended. The bolded are one of the major problems.

Last edited:
Mmm I read the same article in today's Courier Mail by Greg Davis. It was titled "Swann Dive has Lions in Turmoil" :(. Not so good to read that article today, when there is a big night for the club at the Gabba. Hopefully there is a big turnout and competitive performance from the boys.

I don't know what that article isn't online - can't find it either and I can't post a pic here (technologically challenged). If you can try and get your hands on a copy of today's "Curious Mail" as we call it. For all we know it could be garbage (Greg Davis is a Pies supporter I believe (per his twitter feed). But basically the article said that Swann's interest in the Brisbane role has cooled and he is looking at other options such as a non AFL position in Victoria and the journo again mentioned speculation that Travis Auld could be moving to AFL house in the near future and the Suns may be looking for a new CEO there which has "clouded Swann's tilt at the Brisbane posting". The paper has been "trying to contact Mr Swann but their calls were unanswered". It went on to mention other possible Lions CEO's to be Lyle Gorman and Jim Carmichael (it left out Conlan and Griffiths).
I do recall Greg Swann saying that he wanted to "see what's out there" when he left Carlton. None the less my stomach was doing backflips when I read it. 2 days again Greg Swann was the hot favourite dead certainty, now today, not so much. Might just give up reading the media until the announcement is made and then join the other lions supporters in either the Vent or Positives Thread here whichever way it goes.

The difference between this story and the earlier one about Swann is probably that this time someone actually made the effort to investigate what is going on, rather than guess and speculate and "connect the dots".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite part of the article is how the Courier have used their mind reading skills to know what Swann is going to do despite Swann not returning their calls.

As I've said before, I am yet to be completely convinced he is the absolute best option for us so I don't need to stick fat ;)

We just need to get moving!
Beggars can't be choosers - I agree there are better options but we aren't in the market for them unfortunately - I don't agree with the sentiment expressed by Greg Davis but if Swann walks away it from the deal offered it would paint us in a very negative light within the industry. The AFL are continuing to push Swann towards us.

Beggars can't be choosers - I agree there are better options but we aren't in the market for them unfortunately -

I didn't mean the fantasy candidates like Cook. I am not anti-Swann but I think blokes like Gorman have a lot to offer and could a be high-risk, high reward selection. Whether we are in a position for risk is another question.

if Swann walks away it from the deal offered it would paint us in a very negative light within the industry.

Non issue, I'm assured he is OTL :p

Seriously though, it would indeed be a PR disaster. That said, if Swann is half-hearted about it or is starting to think it is an impossible mission, maybe it is best if he goes elsewhere. Who knows, maybe the AFL isn't giving him the backing and assistance guarantees he feels he needs to turn the ship around and he is just putting some pressure on them via the media.

I didn't mean the fantasy candidates like Cook. I am not anti-Swann but I think blokes like Gorman have a lot to offer and could a be high-risk, high reward selection. Whether we are in a position for risk is another question.

Non issue, I'm assured he is OTL :p

Seriously though, it would indeed be a PR disaster. That said, if Swann is half-hearted about it or is starting to think it is an impossible mission, maybe it is best if he goes elsewhere. Who knows, maybe the AFL isn't giving him the backing and assistance guarantees he feels he needs to turn the ship around and he is just putting some pressure on them via the media.

Agree - let me assure you the afl are answering every question he has.

My favourite part of the article is how the Courier have used their mind reading skills to know what Swann is going to do despite Swann not returning their calls.
And that Auld is off to the AFL but is quoted saying he hasn't had an offer and is loving at the Suns.

Also love it when no-one takes ownership of rumours; "The Courier Mail believes...". Are you sure Greg? Not "Me & Hammo reckon", but the paper "believes".:rolleyes:

But, the courier mail 'understands'

There is that magic word, which makes it OK to put your opinion down as fact.

They also "understood" he was the clear frontrunner. Which baseless speculation to believe...

Sports reporting seems all about who gets the story first, more so than who gets everything accurate and correct. It allows journos to join dot and take educated guesses at outcomes so they come out smelling like roses and looking like the best journo in all the land. By using the right language, if it doesn't come off, they have a fall back saying, well, it wasn't 100% locked in.

This reminds me of when we were chasing Tippett. I had someone i knew working at the CM, and he told me Tippett was Lions bound, he was given the article to wright up, but they put it on hold for 24 hours. I believe someone else here on BF (might have been you actually western royboy) had similar mail. History shows the Swans came in at the 11th hour and got him, but it always made me wonder why they waited that extra day to publish that article. I think they new it wasn't fully locked in, and something else was going on. There was enough there for the CM to actually assign the article of Tippett to the Lions to a writer though and prep for it.

They also "understood" he was the clear frontrunner. Which baseless speculation to believe...

Pretty sure this part is accurate. I'm sure they checked the odds at the local TAB before putting it in the article.

Swann, Gorman or carmichael. Any of those options are pretty good really. We just really need the AFL to help out and throw some $$ our way to make sure we can actually secure the guy we need. And now drop down a few lines to who we can afford. Swann is still my preference (not that i'm some CEO expert) but i certainly won't be disappointed if any of the other names pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back