SKOULIKI

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Burwood
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL
We were missing nearly our whole defence (inc. Newman & Batchelor), and Foley, Martin, Conca, Helbig, Griffiths, Post, Grimes & Cotchin need another one or two preseasons in them!

Forget about the past and look forward. It will take, as Hardwick has said numerous times, 2-3 years!!!!

Also, I was one, who was filthy at the tiges after the loss against Gold Coast. I then had a look at our list and we do have the youngest team in the league. I realised that it will take time for them to develop.

What I'm saying is stop bagging and give them some time.

Enough is enough!!!!

I'm ok with it. Dimma will end up turning over 80% of the senior/rookie list. He's only turned over 50% so far. Another 15 or so players to go. If we can move on 10 players and get 2 ruckman later this year then our list will be almost done for the future. Although we'll find it hard for a bit longer with such an inexperienced list

This type of posting has no place on our board. Like the majority of the board you should be expecting, that a year and a half after taking over one of the worst lists in the comp and then turning over around half of it in 2 off seasons, we should be up there secure in the top 8 with an eye on going deep into the finals.

It's hard to be patient but looking at really how young the list is you just have to be. Stick with em and keep supporting these kids. Today's support was very disappointing.

Good thread. I reckon those who want to slag off the coach and players as soon as we lose should simply go and follow one of the top teams and be happy. We all get frustrated and disappointed but those of us in for the long haul will be the happiest when we finally get there. The pessimists will say we may never get there. Who knows? But if we do, those who've stuck will feel a great sense of pride knowing they didn't hop off when things got tough.

Why does everything have to be just black or white around here...
I think there is only one poster calling Hardwick a hack and a failure and such rants need to be treated with 'troll radars' fully engaged.

At the same time there is nothing wrong with questioning significant fluctuations in results and performance from the team as a whole and some of our more seasoned players.
Sure we are young as a collective group but we still have players who have been in the system for more than 4 - 5 years who should be more consistant.

We also have a coach who has been an assistant coach and player at 3 clubs that saw the ultimate success and who now is almost 2 years into his senior career.

Nothing wrong with questioning what has caused an alarming drop in competitivness over the past 5 weeks... hell... it was just 5 weeks ago that we were playing against Melbourne for a spot in the 8!!!!

It's annoying when someone raises concerns about what appears to be a significant drop off in effort and intensity which results in very disappointing losses and there follows backlash on here from other posters about 'unrealistic expectations'.

There is middle ground you know...

Why does everything have to be just black or white around here...
I think there is only one poster calling Hardwick a hack and a failure and such rants need to be treated with 'troll radars' fully engaged.

At the same time there is nothing wrong with questioning significant fluctuations in results and performance from the team as a whole and some of our more seasoned players.
Sure we are young as a collective group but we still have players who have been in the system for more than 4 - 5 years who should be more consistant.

We also have a coach who has been an assistant coach and player at 3 clubs that saw the ultimate success and who now is almost 2 years into his senior career.

Nothing wrong with questioning what has caused an alarming drop in competitivness over the past 5 weeks... hell... it was just 5 weeks ago that we were playing against Melbourne for a spot in the 8!!!!

It's annoying when someone raises concerns about what appears to be a significant drop off in effort and intensity which results in very disappointing losses and there follows backlash on here from other posters about 'unrealistic expectations'.

There is middle ground you know...

I'll go back to the Essendon game, look at the team list and compare it now. Take out, players out injured, then add, who was in form, their age, and games played, and you will get your answer.

With young inexperience players it takes time to develop. Most on our list can play.

Look at West Coast, young list with 5-6 experience, good players. No injuries, full list. It makes a huge diff!

This type of posting has no place on our board. Like the majority of the board you should be expecting, that a year and a half after taking over one of the worst lists in the comp and then turning over around half of it in 2 off seasons, we should be up there secure in the top 8 with an eye on going deep into the finals.

Your post should be moderated! I wont even comment on it!

I think we are still on the right track. I don’t buy into the media Gold Coast will win a flag before us hype. One week is a long time in football. 1 good performance will have the fair-weather opinion changing. We know where we are at. We haven’t taken any shortcuts and we’ve definitely improved since last year. There’s plenty of voids we still need to fill but I feel with a couple of mature aged recruits, a ruckman & another defender we can push for a top 8 spot next year.

We still have half our backline out injured & we now pretty much know which players are up to it and not. This is all part of the slow “rebuilding process”. Patience is necessary. Just look at Melbourne. They are supposed to be ahead of us and they are still getting beltings from time to time.

Remember last year people thought we’d be bottom for the next 5 years. Our outlook is very different now.

People getting impatient and understandably so as we have been so crap for so long.
Have to remember that Dimma is trying to fix the problems that have been created over the last 10 years, I don't think he could have done any more.

We don't have the depth of talent that GC has so we can not constantly rotate tired young players as they do. No clubs rely on first and second year players like we do.

Is going to be a long road and even harder with no help from the draft last year or this year. We will get there if the supporters stay true, keep things in perspective and remind themselves that this is a real rebuild, basically starting fresh like GC but with no draft help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was always willing to give time when Hardwick took over. The first two years were always going to be a right off and I have no problem with that. The issue IMO is the same old traits creeping into this group, lack of effort, shithouse structures and terrible skills all over the ground. And even though Hardwick is still learning, some of his coaching IMO has been very ordinary.

I was always willing to give time when Hardwick took over. The first two years were always going to be a right off and I have no problem with that. The issue IMO is the same old traits creeping into this group, lack of effort, shithouse structures and terrible skills all over the ground. And even though Hardwick is still learning, some of his coaching IMO has been very ordinary.

You can't polish a **** mate. We have quite a few ordinary players and as a result play some ordinary footy.

I agree Dimma has made some mistakes but that is to be expected with a new, young coach trying to get the best out of a bunch of kids. Dimma is learning every week just as our young players are. Our skills and effort have definitely dropped off in the last half of the season but that goes hand in hand with tired bodies and not having the mental toughness of an older, experienced player.
We showed definite improvement in the first half of the season, unfortunately we are dropping away now.

With another clean out looming at the end of the season we had all better enjoy ourselves over summer because there will be some testing times next season too!!!!!

Deep into finals, it's a flag or nothing :D

Considering some of us have waited 30 years it suprises me the lack of patience by our supporters, I think we are on the right track, but Dimma needs at least until the end of next year just to get a list together. those calling for his head have no idea IMO, this club needs stability and a solid financial base before we will win the big one again, I believe Benny and Dimma know this and are trying to do something that no one in 30 years has been able to do.

I think we are still on the right track. I don’t buy into the media Gold Coast will win a flag before us hype. One week is a long time in football. 1 good performance will have the fair-weather opinion changing. We know where we are at. We haven’t taken any shortcuts and we’ve definitely improved since last year. There’s plenty of voids we still need to fill but I feel with a couple of mature aged recruits, a ruckman & another defender we can push for a top 8 spot next year.

We still have half our backline out injured & we now pretty much know which players are up to it and not. This is all part of the slow “rebuilding process”. Patience is necessary. Just look at Melbourne. They are supposed to be ahead of us and they are still getting beltings from time to time.

Remember last year people thought we’d be bottom for the next 5 years. Our outlook is very different now.

Yeh, the media just report the situation week to week. six weeks ago a lot of the media had us as almost certain finalists, now they say we are a basket case and it will take ten years before we see success, it's not so much the the journos have no idea its just that they write what people want to hear.

The overreacting on Bigfooty is hilarious.

Give Dimma time, we were beaten by a team on the weekend that was:

a) Physically more mature
b) Mentally more confident

Both of these traits can be addressed with our list over time :thumbsu:

how much more time does he need?

how much longer will the team be excused because they are "young"

how much time will you give the next coach?

the club itself has had nothing but time.

i still wont judge dwick until the end of 2012 or 2013 based on his own expectations when he came to richmond. he still has time, but not much of it.

Such a smug comment that really is belittling to the 1000's of supporters capable of judging a side on the football it is playing.

No sensible person expected us to make finals this year much the same as no sensible person expected us to go backwards at a million miles an hour over the last 8 weeks.

I am all for optimism, and there is a lot to be optimistic about, but there's also a lot to be concerned with.

Some say we've gone forwards, some say we've gone back, and some say we've stalled, but end of the day, we are on track to mirror our wins and losses from last season, which is very disappointing.

We still need 1, maybe 2, big cleanouts, as we have too many players who are not going to help us get to a premiership.

Browne
Edwards
Farmer
Gourdis
Graham
Helbig
Hislop
Jackson
McGuane
Miller
Morton
Nason
Thursfield
Tuck
White

These players need to go, and be replaced, with draft picks, trades, etc. They are just not up to it, and we cannot be a contender with this many average-poor performers.

I may have been a bit harsh, but I don't think there is any argument for these players.

I would like to keep Edwards, for example, if he was a depth player who could come in from the VFL, when we have injuries, etc.

10 this year, 6 next. Or at least 8 each year. Might take 2 years to get 2 ruckman from other clubs

Can't see us doing more culling this year than we do next. Next years batch is supposively a lot stronger. Though i do agree we need to cut 15 or so more. Unfortunately can't do it all this year :D

I am all for optimism, and there is a lot to be optimistic about, but there's also a lot to be concerned with.

Some say we've gone forwards, some say we've gone back, and some say we've stalled, but end of the day, we are on track to mirror our wins and losses from last season, which is very disappointing.

We still need 1, maybe 2, big cleanouts, as we have too many players who are not going to help us get to a premiership.

Browne
Edwards
Farmer
Gourdis
Graham
Helbig
Hislop
Jackson
McGuane
Miller
Morton
Nason
Thursfield
Tuck
White

These players need to go, and be replaced, with draft picks, trades, etc. They are just not up to it, and we cannot be a contender with this many average-poor performers.

I may have been a bit harsh, but I don't think there is any argument for these players.

I would like to keep Edwards, for example, if he was a depth player who could come in from the VFL, when we have injuries, etc.

23 players off in 2 years plus all those!! and wallace thinks he left us in a better state?? cant be bothered looking at the list he inherited. In fact scared to think its worse than this lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Give the kids & coach time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back