Video Highlights Goal of the Year 2024 - Who should win?

Who do you vote for?

• Harley Reid - Round 10

• Nick Daicos - Round 16

• Nick Daicos - Round 23

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What a shit year for goals.

And what a ridiculous system for choosing it, forcing one guy to lose by splitting his fan vote making the whole thing pointless. And the fan voting system is ridiculous in the first place.

And what a bunch of idiot fans that act like there is something categorically different about the Reid and 2nd Daicos goals - Reid's is slightly better I'd say but they are very similar goals.

Actually I take that back - Daicos' goal is better than Reid's. Reid has almost a straight line once he collects and is pursued by one opponent. Daicos has to get through a tackle, avoid a guy coming from the front and is pursued by someone else. Reid's looks more aesthetically pleasing but Daicos has more pressure on him the whole way.

Last edited:

Check the poll results, I am not alone.
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because he has explosive pace. Reid's goal is very similar. Do you think that is hard to do or is it just genetics?

The goals that Eddie use to slot were special, not 40m out straight in front.

Seen a few Tennis players with similar physique to Daicos , clearly must be genetics :think:

People don't appreciate how hard Nick's round 23 goal was. It's actually pretty comical really. When Nick's involved they turn into nuffies
Is running fast really hard though? He runs past a 35 year old, 31 year old gives chase but never closes and then runs around a key position gorilla who over commits. Slots it from straight in front.

All three goals are similar really so it’s really pointless having all three in there. It’s like the AFL decided they want a running goal this year rather than an arsey snap from the pocket which I think is harder to do.

Actually I take that back - Daicos' goal is better than Reid's. Reid has almost a straight line once he collects and is pursued by one opponent. Daicos has to get through a tackle, avoid a guy coming from the front and is pursued by someone else. Reid's looks more aesthetically pleasing but Daicos has more pressure on him the whole way.
Daicos' second goal required more evasiveness and shimmies than Reid's to be sure, and also had a bit of a broken tackle to it, but he still runs a fairly straight line (if we are counting that as a negative).

Things which elevate Reid's goal though are that he collects it further back (a good 2m behind the outer circle rather than dead centre), it is a legitimate hard ball get and clearance rather than handballl receive and he bounces 3 times and kicks from further out.

The bouncing part is splitting hairs but is relevant because Daicos clearly ran more than 15m before his first bounce.

Bont vs Freo against 3 defenders certainly up there. As mentioned above, Cameron's goal last night better than any of the nominations.

Out of the 3 nominated though? Reid.
Ditto. Bont's goal was ridiculous, and Cameron's deserves the GOTY but unfortunately he went one game too late.

I quite liked Moir's soccer goal too

Nicks not tough
Nick accumulates ball and its meaningless
Nick just runs fast , anyone can do that with genetics LOL
Nick ran a straight line , not impressive
Nick bounced the ball after 20 meteres
Nick is Peters son
Nick cant take big pack marks
Nick hasnt won a ruck contest

Surely there was better options then any of these, Reid’s was probably the 5th best goal of the year, and one of daicos goals wasn’t even goal of the week.

Nicks not tough
Nick accumulates ball and its meaningless
Nick just runs fast , anyone can do that with genetics LOL
Nick ran a straight line , not impressive
Nick bounced the ball after 20 meteres
Nick is Peters son
Nick cant take big pack marks
Nick hasnt won a ruck contest
Exactly yet some Pies fans think he’s the Goat. Please

Is running fast really hard though? He runs past a 35 year old, 31 year old gives chase but never closes and then runs around a key position gorilla who over commits. Slots it from straight in front.

All three goals are similar really so it’s really pointless having all three in there. It’s like the AFL decided they want a running goal this year rather than an arsey snap from the pocket which I think is harder to do.
I love an impossible snap or a banana falling over the boundary, don't get me wrong, but in the modern game of manic pressure on the ball carrier, being able to cover 50m+ on your own and finish with a goal is harder imo.

Putting it down to just "running fast" is pretty disrespectful. I can run fast but wouldn't get within cooee of a magoos list, let alone do what Daicos or Reid did in the big time.

I love an impossible snap or a banana falling over the boundary, don't get me wrong, but in the modern game of manic pressure on the ball carrier, being able to cover 50m+ on your own and finish with a goal is harder imo.

Putting it down to just "running fast" is pretty disrespectful. I can run fast but wouldn't get within cooee of a magoos list, let alone do what Daicos or Reid did in the big time.
Is it better than breaking three tackles though to kick a goal? If you’re faster than someone, running past them is quite easy. 50m and then kicking a goal from an easy location just doesn’t impress me as much as an impossible angle.

This is suppose to be goal of the year from 207 games and 2 are basically the same run and the third is a three possession chain with a shimmy from dead in front.

Is it better than breaking three tackles though to kick a goal? If you’re faster than someone, running past them is quite easy. 50m and then kicking a goal from an easy location just doesn’t impress me as much as an impossible angle.

This is suppose to be goal of the year from 207 games and 2 are basically the same run and the third is a three possession chain with a shimmy from dead in front.
I was addressing your comment that these goals weren't difficult because they were just about running fast, and that an "arsey snap" is harder to do. I don't agree with that.

As for your new example, that is of course impressive. But as you pointed out earlier - it depends on all the circumstances. Who is chasing, who is tackling, etc. Can't judge it in a vaccuum.

Which goal are you talking about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Video Highlights Goal of the Year 2024 - Who should win?

Back