Going along nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

ctrain07

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2007
Glen Waverley
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With all this talk about the Saints and Cats doing so brilliantly well, the doggies are tracking nicely and are going under the radar. As we all know Grand Finals can't be won in June. Its September that counts and as long as we get a top 4 spot I can't see why we can't beat either of those sides. We pushed Geelong to within a shot after the siren. And I still have my question marks over the Saints. I believe if we bring our best A game we can beat everyone in the comp. We have the forward line spread of goal kickers to trouble every side and I think we all know we are a serious threat. We have just the right spread of experience and youth with the likes of Johno, Aker, Welsh etc with players such as Harbrow, Ward, Picken, Everitt even Williams that all teams need to be successful. We have the steely detirmination after the unfortunate loss in the pre lim. Everyone states that we need a key forward but to be honoust we dont. All we need to do is to ask big Mino or Hudson to go into the forward line and create a contest and at least make sure the ball goes to ground were we have the likes of Hill, Aker, Higgins, Johno, Welsh etc all at the fall of the ball to pounce. We were the second highest scorers last year and our problem wasnt our forward line, it was our back line and to me that appears to be more stable this year.

This may just be my thoughts but i have the ffeling that the Saints are a bit like the doggies of last year. Going along brilliantly for the first 13 or so rounds and then come up against Geelong and to be honoust I think the cats will win by around 7 goals and the saints will come right back down to earth. I ahve been wrong before though. We are a serious contender but we must finnish the season of strongly and be in the best possible shape to attack our first flag in 55 years.:thumbsu:

Go doggies. Were barking now.

I agree with you.

I think the media has already blown its collective load about this weekend's Saints v Cats match.

As for us, we're in solid form and we can win in style [Adelaide, Sydney, Port Adelaide] or ugly [Melbourne, North Melbourne] and nobody is talking us up or even thinks we're in the same ball park as the Cats or Saints.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I really want to smash the Hawks on Saturday. I know it doesn't make up for last year's QF, but I can't stand them.

Apparently we will be lucky to make the finals, though. And we definitely won't make top four. Someone told me so, and they have money on the Bulldogs not finishing top four. How can we be contenders when someone thinks we'll be lucky to make the finals? :confused::D

Mmm. We've really only put together one full game of football this year and that was against Port. Geelong and the Saints have played much better footy and consistent footy then us all year. We lose next week and we're practically on the same amount of wins as 6th place. And we still have to play both Geelong and StKilda again!

We lost to Geelong(1st) and StKilda(2nd) and haven't played Collingwood(4th) Brisbane (5th) Essendon(7th) and lost to Carlton(8th). That means the only team we have beaten in the 8 all year so far is Adelaide. We still have a lot to prove.

P.S It's the first time in VFL/AFL history that two teams have met 13 rounds in undefeated! The media attention is warranted.

I have had faith in the team all year and was one of the posters defending us when we lost the 3 early games.

I believe this is the most complete Bulldog team EVER.

That is not to say we can't improve and I believe their is still improvement this year, if we can get Murphy, Cooney and Griffen playing their best footy.

I have been convinced since the end of last season that this would be a better Bulldog side than the 2008 version.

The improvement is through Higgins, Harbrow, Ward and the improved consistency of Hill.
Additionally we have Minson and Hargrave in career best form and our older players have held their ground.

We need to get through in good shape so that we can attack the finals with vigour, but I am excited by where we are at.

What's remarkable as well is how well we seem to be travelling and have done so without too much 'stepping up'.

Which players have definitely improved this year? Higgins. Hill probably. Harbrow of course. Boyd, although much of his 'improvement' comes from team-mate midfielders who are down on last year. And we do have a longer list of players who aren't playing to their best form.

It feels like the teams plateaued into its level, helped by a good run with getting players on the park and a wide dispersal of responsibility. We could easily not have an AA player this year for all our good form.

All good signs. But we just have to, have to start beating fellow contenders.

What's amazing is the fact that in 1997 we were 8-4 after 12 rounds and on top of the ladder from memory.

It makes you sit back and think how good it is to be in our position and how bad it would be to be like the Tigers or the Dees.

Mmm. We've really only put together one full game of football this year and that was against Port. Geelong and the Saints have played much better footy and consistent footy then us all year. We lose next week and we're practically on the same amount of wins as 6th place. And we still have to play both Geelong and StKilda again!

We lost to Geelong(1st) and StKilda(2nd) and haven't played Collingwood(4th) Brisbane (5th) Essendon(7th) and lost to Carlton(8th). That means the only team we have beaten in the 8 all year so far is Adelaide. We still have a lot to prove.

P.S It's the first time in VFL/AFL history that two teams have met 13 rounds in undefeated! The media attention is warranted.

Agree with you but....I feel like we are building and have yet to have all our players up and running in peak form. The team that lost to St Kilda and Carlton earlier this year is a shadow of the team running out now...and there is still plenty of improvement left in Murphy, Cooney and Griffen.

Rose coloured glasses perhaps but I feel a little more confident than last year....it's all about keeping our blokes on the park and timing our run into the finals. Obviously we need to keep winning...that always helps.

Apparently we will be lucky to make the finals, though. And we definitely won't make top four. Someone told me so, and they have money on the Bulldogs not finishing top four. How can we be contenders when someone thinks we'll be lucky to make the finals? :confused::D

Haha. Those people have obviously also put money on Carlton to win the flag at the start of the season. Obviously deluded). The dogs are the the second or third best side in the comp. Mate wel be there late in September and we will be right in it for our first flag in 55 years mark my words:thumbsu:;)

What's amazing is the fact that in 1997 we were 8-4 after 12 rounds and on top of the ladder from memory.

It makes you sit back and think how good it is to be in our position and how bad it would be to be like the Tigers or the Dees.

That was an amazing season, though. Amazingly even. St. Kilda and Geelong were equal on top with fourteen wins by season's end. Bulldogs and Adelaide were third and fourth.

Could be the same top four this year, except this time it will be the GF it should have been in '97. Either St. Kilda vs Geelong or St. Kilda vs Bulldogs.

The next four weeks will probably define our season, as it will determine whether we finish top four or not. We should finish top four, but we are only two bad losses away from being back in the middle of the pack fighting for a top four position.

I think we are a really good side, but in all honesty I am not sure whether we can match it with the best in the finals. I hope we can but until we actually do it, then I am not getting too carried away. Having said that, I am wrapped we have placed ourselves thus far, given our bad run of losses earlier in the year.

The next four weeks will probably define our season, as it will determine whether we finish top four or not. We should finish top four, but we are only two bad losses away from being back in the middle of the pack fighting for a top four position.

I think we are a really good side, but in all honesty I am not sure whether we can match it with the best in the finals. I hope we can but until we actually do it, then I am not getting too carried away. Having said that, I am wrapped we have placed ourselves thus far, given our bad run of losses earlier in the year.

Didnt ya see last years pre lim. If we had kicked straighter and Johno had gotten the free kick then we would have been playing in the grand final. We can match it with anyone.

I still don't think we have played exceptional football for 4 quarters all year. We played well for the first half against Fremantle, a great second half against the Crows, a great first half against the Swans. Personally I didn't think we played all that well against Port. They were horrible.

We have a lot of improvement left in us considering our running midfielders, Coons and Griff, have not played a huge part winnings games for us this season. Son if the youngsters that have come on this year ie. Higgins, Hill and Harbrow. continue to improve then the only way is up at the moment.

I would love to play St Kilda in a GF. Imagine playing them in the first final, winning, playing an the pies / crows / brisbane in the prelim and then the saints / cats in the GF. I am far more confident about this years finals series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt ya see last years pre lim. If we had kicked straighter and Johno had gotten the free kick then we would have been playing in the grand final. We can match it with anyone.

Show me the money ctrain! Don't think, Do.Actions speak louder than words.

Um, I ran out of cliches but you get the gist. Words means nothing at this stage. We have to beat quality sides in finals for us to have said that we have progressed from last year. Thats the only thing that really counts. We actually have to do it, not just speculate that we can.

I think the Doggies are ticking along nicely and not only are the media going crazy over the Saints and Cats they are also lining up to fall in love with Collingwood as well.

The next month will be vital but the Dogs will give it a serious shake this year.

Love the Bulldogs and have been a member for 13 years now. But we need to find the ferocity that i see Geelong and St. Kilda display almost week in week out if we re any shot this year. I think this year we are in with a chance no doubt, however the next 9 rounds are VERY tough. It is a possibility we could finish anywhere from 3-8. Most of the teams we play on the run home are in the top 8 bar Freo and WC.

But i keep coming back to the fact that we tend to win games more by skill and quick running. Don't get me wrong i love the style we play, but i just want to see my team harass an opposition like the Saints have all year. I mean do you guys remember the last 3 qtrs against the Saints in Rd 3 08. That was pressure, we tackled hard gave them no room and hunted in packs. I found it more exciting than the free flowing game we play. Im not sure whether we have ever rediscovered that exact same pressure that was applied that night, but hey its only my opinion.

If we are to win the flag this year we need to pick up the pressure.

Hey it's just my opinion but yeh? Feel free to drop yours.

Thanks fellas:thumbsu:

Love the Bulldogs and have been a member for 13 years now. But we need to find the ferocity that i see Geelong and St. Kilda display almost week in week out if we re any shot this year. I think this year we are in with a chance no doubt, however the next 9 rounds are VERY tough. It is a possibility we could finish anywhere from 3-8. Most of the teams we play on the run home are in the top 8 bar Freo and WC.

But i keep coming back to the fact that we tend to win games more by skill and quick running. Don't get me wrong i love the style we play, but i just want to see my team harass an opposition like the Saints have all year. I mean do you guys remember the last 3 qtrs against the Saints in Rd 3 08. That was pressure, we tackled hard gave them no room and hunted in packs. I found it more exciting than the free flowing game we play. Im not sure whether we have ever rediscovered that exact same pressure that was applied that night, but hey its only my opinion.

If we are to win the flag this year we need to pick up the pressure.

Hey it's just my opinion but yeh? Feel free to drop yours.

Thanks fellas:thumbsu:

I agree with most points you covered. Over the past few years when we have played teams like West Coast in there prime, Geelong they always seem to have more than 18 players on the ground because they hunt in packs and dont wait for the ball to come out the back like a few of our players but saying that we havn't been playing great footy but a good side finds ways to win like against North. We were pretty poor and still won by 4 goals. So hey the upside is we havnt played our best footy yet noone wants to play there best footy in June or July. We just want to continue building momentum and confidence. Thats why i doubt the saints this year because they are doing so brilliantly now but they will fall at some point and there style of game makes it very tough on the body week in week out and when finals come around do they have another cog they can go to because teams like the dogs, magpies will go toe to toe with the saints and its all well and good having two key forwards but do they have a plan B (Another worry i have about the dogs). But hey were going nicely and are building for a tilt at the flag.

The premiership sides usually have a whole bunch of players who have stepped up plus perhaps an import or two. eg Hawthorn 2008. Who has stepped up for us this year? Just as importantly who has dipped?

Here's my very subjective assessment:
(+ means better, = means no change, - means not as good)

Harbrow ++
Lake =
Morris =
Hargrave +
Gilbee --
Williams --
Callan =
Addison -
Griffen =
Eagleton +
Boyd +
Cross =
Murphy --
Hahn -
Giansiracusa +
Johnson =
Akermanis +
Hill +
Welsh -
Stack +
Ward ++
Higgins ++
Cooney -- (has been good but nowhere near Brownlow form this year)
Minson +
Hudson =
Grant =
Everitt -
Tiller -
Picken ++

Totals
++ 4
+ 8
= 8

Only just on the positive side of the ledger, but Cooney, Murphy, Welsh, Williams and Gilbee have all had injury interruptions and may yet hit their straps. Welsh certainly showed a bit last week.

I still think NEXT year and 2011 are our years. Even if we lose a couple of veterans we have some real quality coming through.
I'm still hopeful for 2009 and happy with what we've done so far but no great expectations of a flag.

I think it's fair not to include those guys who are coming off injuries as they have shown that they aren't far off = or + especially Murph

Very good signs at this stage, with those guys at - and = likely to improve.

Dogwatch I think your to harsh on Gilbee and Murphy. Murphy has been = in the games he's played while fit and Gilbee has been solid with out being fantastic and is a minimum of a -. I'd say Addison hasn't gotten worse either, it's the competition from Ward and Picken( both ++) that have kept Addison out. Same with Tiller, how could he possibly have gone backwards?

Yeah, harsh on Gilb as he has been playing injured for several weeks. I think Murphy's comeback has been amazing considering the limited pre-season and he will get better. If any player deserves +++ it would have to be Higgins. This would take into account the fact he's played most of the season as well compared to previous years. I also think Welsh, in the games that he has played is a much more complete player than last year. He at least deserves an =.

Griffen is ready to explode I think. There were some really good signs against North when others were down he got the momentum going our way.

Cooney is the biggest disappointment this year. I can't believe he had twenty-something possessions on the weekend - he was hardly noticable.

Cooney is the biggest disappointment this year. I can't believe he had twenty-something possessions on the weekend - he was hardly noticable.

Isn't it amazing how we all see things differently.

For mine Cooney was much more involved where he should be against North.

I felt against Port where he got a lot of possession that many where behind the ball cheapies, but against North he showed more sign in the middle and his burst run was there a few times.

Dogwatch
Marking Williams and Addison as - for the year, seems futile to me because they were missing for all the losses after the Geelong game and also for the finals. If they get back in the team they will be definite pluses.

yeah.. but, only 20 years ago everyone used to play everyone else by Rd10 or 11.

...If cats had played saints in, say Rd 7, we'd not be having the hype. It's as much about the weird AFL draw as it is the teams.

Dogwatch I think your to harsh on Gilbee and Murphy. Murphy has been = in the games he's played while fit and Gilbee has been solid with out being fantastic and is a minimum of a -. I'd say Addison hasn't gotten worse either, it's the competition from Ward and Picken( both ++) that have kept Addison out. Same with Tiller, how could he possibly have gone backwards?

Thanks Kooka, Butane and Libba.
The whole point of the list is not about giving a bloke a bit of leeway because he's been injured. It's about the visible output whether he's injured, daydreaming, bereaved or whatever. Don't get me wrong I like all these blokes and in nearly all cases I think they'll return to their best for us. Let's look at the cases mentioned:
Murphy - has been injured so less game time but even when he has played he has not been a real impact player (how many times listed in our best six? I'd be surprised if any.) I'm hoping in the next 2-3 weeks we'll see him back in the forward line with confidence in his knee, kicking goals and dishing out lots of assists! But so far it's a -- for me.
Gilbee - just has not been influential for weeks, mainly since he did his ankle. As we keep hearing, if you are 5% or 10% off your game you'll get beaten and I think he's only able to play 90% max right now. Really should give him a week or two off to get it right (I said this in a different post last week). Maybe I would accept a - instead of a -- on the basis of his good form early in the year.
Addison - fair point about Picken and Ward keeping him out. Maybe I'm judging him on the expectation that he'd continue to improve this year. So I'd accept an = for him (just!).
Tiller - different story altogether here. Nothing but his own form is keeping him out. Williams has not been able to play (or is not playing well) so if Tiller was playing like he did in the 08 finals he'd be a walk up start every time. Picken and Ward are not in competition with him for a spot. Definitely a -
Cooney - At first I felt -- was perhaps harsh. I love the guy but really he has not busted games open like he did on numerous occasions last year. Maybe soon?? He has lofty standards to reach just to get a =, but didn't Rocket say over summer we haven't seen the best of him yet.
Griffen - a big wrap for him and I too am anticipating he'll put in some stunning performances soon. Has been very good at times (esp R1) but hasn't exploded yet (like Cooney did in 2008).

So remember the purpose of the rating is not how good they are but to assess how much their impact/productive output has increased (or declined) relative to what we got last year. To be premiers we need a whole bunch of + and ++s!

Remove this Banner Ad

Going along nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back